Hi point carbine

Farman

Anyone have the 995. It kind of looks cool, like the ugly duckling. I like the fact that it's 9mm., common and reasonably priced ammo:). I hear of issues in the older productions, but I like the warranty. How are the newer ones or the one you have?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one ordered...

I'll letcha know once I get my mitts on it.

I've held one and read reviews, that's about all I know, but wanted some relatively accurate 75 yard gun and wanted to consolidate calibers with other guns I have.

And it IS so ugly I find it somewhat charming...like some ole dogs I've had.

- OS

I've never owned or shot one, but I've always heard very good things about them. Of course, with a price point like they have, how could you REALLY complain?

Sure, I would rather have a Beretta CX4 9mm carbine, but c'mon the CX4 retails around $800, and the Hi-Point retails around $200-something!

Plus, you can buy one of these $60 stocks to alleviate the "ugly duckling" syndrome:

yhst-12630110006743_2028_23417687

so why do Hi-Point handguns get bashed but no one seems to bash the carbine?

Isn't it all based on the same thing?

The Hi-Point carbine is as reliable as the best there is, also in use by many LE dept. which they proudly state in the advertisements! For the money, there was no better deal! But now you can only find them on GB with a 35-40+% price increase! Saw one at the last show going for $475. in Knox.

A month ago a buddy of mine wanted to know the best gun to get on a budget, i told him about the h-p carb. he said he would get one, but waited to long, now cant find one at a decent price.

They are about the ugliest guns there are, but their carbine is fantastic, once you get past its looks.:up:

ive shot one of the older ones they are decent for the price.

I have a storm in 9mm i got 3 years ago i think. everyone who shoots it is hooked. i got it with the top rail installed from the factory, a hard plastic case (Beretta), 2 mags (17 round) in the Px4 setup for $600. sure that's still more than the hi point but i have never thought twice about it.

so why do Hi-Point handguns get bashed but no one seems to bash the carbine?

Isn't it all based on the same thing?

Well, a simple blow back carbine with a big ole slappy bolt can be pretty forgiving on reliability compared to a semi-auto handgun. Miniaturization demands more quality in the machining and mating of surfaces, etc. The same tolerances, dirt, stamped metal machining, etc that still allow a bigger weapon to function are more problematic for a smaller weapon.

Think of all the countries that produce AK type weapons with actually fairly crude machining that function just fine. But many of those same factories can't produce reliable handguns.

That's my take on it...

Also, Hi-Point is about the only player for 9mm in that price range. And I've not read a bad review of their 9 or .40 carbines.

- OS

I've shot one too. It did shoot REALLY well, but the build quality wasn't that great. These guns are very simply designed.

The charging handle fell off and there was a threaded screw in it's place. I am not sure if I am more surprised that the guy went the bolt section of ace to fix his gun, or that Hi-Point would actually use a threaded hole to secure a charging handle.

I believe that there was a pipe clamp on it somewhere holding something on also.

But it did shoot really well. Take it for what it is and you will be happy. People compare it sometimes to the Storm...the Storm is in a different universe with respect to fit and finish. Not sure if the difference is worth $400, but the contrast is pretty amazing.

$400? Whoa, I haven't looked at them in a long while, they are fun, and a good gun, but not a $400 gun. Mine was like, $150 or $175.

re ILikePie's post?

He was stating price difference tween HP and Storm.

MSRP on the 9mm black finish is 220, .40 black is 240

- OS

I have heard that the carbine, though fugly, is pretty accurate and reliable. I would pick one up if I found it in a pawn shop or used at a gunstore. I have seen outrageous prices on them at gun shows and selling new at gun stores.

i wish I could find one with a bent barrel and a broken stock, on the cheap.

I am a fanboy of Hi-Points. I think there is nothing wrong with their handguns or the carbines.

highpointtoaster.jpg

Edited by SUNTZU
I have heard that the carbine, though fugly, is pretty accurate and reliable. I would pick one up if I found it in a pawn shop or used at a gunstore. I have seen outrageous prices on them at gun shows and selling new at gun stores. ..

Yeah...there actually was 1 at the recent Expo show, found it after you guys had left...used, no accessories, $275 firm. Right.

WestSide Pawn near me is dealer, quoted me ~ 250 bucks out the door, though they don't keep any in stock, just a few HP and Kel-Tec pistols there.

- OS

Guest smittyb

I have one and love it. It shoots too good to be a 150 dollar gun (what I paid for it new), which is why I guess the prices have gone up so much. My father and I were shooting clay pigeons set up at 100 yds with the open sights, and I'd say we had about a 70% hit rate.

I was actually going to buy another in 40 cal recently, till I saw the prices. They were 200 new when I was looking, but I guess that was a couple of months ago.

I also have a couple of 15rd mags ordered for mine, hope they function well.

And BTW the factory charging handle is a bolt, just has a grooved spacer on it, I also thought this was pretty cheasy, but then I saw how it shot, and forgot all about it.

I have bought, sold and traded 4 of them in the last couple of years. They all worked perfectly and shot really well.

If you get lucky, you'll find one all messed up and/or missing parts that you can get really cheap. Send it back to Hi-Point and they will rebuild it, replace everything, test it and send it back to you with an extra magazine... all for free. I'm not kidding.