gonna start to reload

I also picked up a set of dies today Omega got the other set that was for sale in the area, these are the RCBS 3 die Carb set so I need to do a little reading up on these and find out what they are all about but would like to hear the pros and cons from Y'all.

Thanks

Good stuff RCBS. Outstanding warranty.

I also picked up a set of dies today Omega got the other set that was for sale in the area, these are the RCBS 3 die Carb set so I need to do a little reading up on these and find out what they are all about but would like to hear the pros and cons from Y'all.

Thanks

Good dies but read the setup instructions, specially the seating die. On my set, the decapping pin wobbles when loose, and when tightened it is off center even though the pin is not bent.  I wrote RCBS to see if it was normal or not, on my other brand dies they are dead center when tightened.

Good dies but read the setup instructions, specially the seating die. On my set, the decapping pin wobbles when loose, and when tightened it is off center even though the pin is not bent.  I wrote RCBS to see if it was normal or not, on my other brand dies they are dead center when tightened.

You should call them. Every time I've talked to a CSR from RCBS they'v more than taken care of the problem.

Ive found that I can usually seat a primer without doing anything when the old primer was crimped in.  About 8, maybe 9 out of 10 a new primer will seat without excessive force by just rotating the brass on the press until it slips in.  Works on 9 and 223 both.   The 1-2 of 10 that won't seat I toss in a bucket and if I ever run out of brass I can cut the crimp out of those.

308, this didn't work so well.   More like 8 or 9 of 10 won't seat a new primer... I gave up on those pretty fast.

Edited by Jonnin

When I load a batch of 9mm I always resize the cases, then chamber check each case in the barrel of a 9mm. Some of the cases that have been shot in a Glock have the swollen base that is so prevalent with cases out of that chamber. 

Also the crimped primer pockets from military brass give me problems. I always swage the pockets of that brass before I try to seat a primer in them.

You should call them. Every time I've talked to a CSR from RCBS they'v more than taken care of the problem.

Figured I would update here, seems their service is as good as you say. This is the response I got today:

"I just order a new decap unit in the mail no charge. Have a great day.

John Thor

Technical Service"

So, props to RCBS.

I need to get them out and clean them, I have had so many irons in the fire, trying to decide if I can get a booth at the upcoming gun show, getting a double layer leather belt worked on, depriming 9mm, and about worn out.  But I need to get out the dies I picked up and at least get them clean.

I will ALWAYS buy from RCBS first unless they don't have what I need. They have always taken care of me. I haven't recommended anything else in years.

I'm cheap, I always go Lee if I buy new.  Of course I don't pass up any good deals on used/new equipment which is why I got these.  I have never really had any issues with Lee that they didn't fix, with any Mfg for that matter.  I am not really a brand name kind of guy, as long as it does what it says, they are available when I want them, and they are priced decently.  I got these because they are carbide which is an upgrade to the ones I have now, and while it did not state it in the ad, these are practically new, the bullet seating stems are still in a sealed bag.

I guess if I shot for a living or was at least shooting competition I would spend a bit more, but all I do is make holes in paper, hit some steel  and drop a few deer a year so Lee does fine by me.

I get less uses out of them. They reload fine, but split sooner, in my experience.

This. For some reason, especially in 38/357 and 44 mag. I get some splitting as early as 2nd or 3rd loading. For the auto stuff it is much more rare. I believe I've only thrown 2 nickel 40 cases away in the last decade due to splitting.

I actually prefer the nickel stuff for SHTF defense ammo. More resistant to tarnish, and nickel is more slick to aid in feeding. I don't all the premium defense ammo is nickel just for looks. ;-)
  • Like 1