Bowie made by local knife maker??

Look at threads by Gran Torino and Sybo, or Spots if you want a more backwoods type.

I've made sheaths for a couple of GT's bowie style blades and envy the owners.

Thanks Mark for the recommendation as I'm familiar with their posts and threads, I'm just looking for all options before making a decision. Can you think of any others ?

Oh and by the way their stuff is excellent also ! Edited by justincase

If you want a forged knife you wont find better that Spots.

Just wish I had money to buy a custom knife, but I "use" a knife and

would ruin a nice knife. Just cant bring myself to buy something I would be afraid to "use".

would ruin a nice knife. Just cant bring myself to buy something I would be afraid to "use".

This knife will be a piece for display in the office ..maybe 10-12 inch Damascus blade, with a antler or exotic wood options...

Thanks man that means a lot. I try my best to make stuff meant to be used and abused and come back for more.

This knife will be a piece for display in the office ..maybe 10-12 inch Damascus blade, with a antler or exotic wood options...

You might work with GT or Sybo. I do all my own forging and I'm not comfortable working with some else's damascus because it can be hard to heat treat due to the variables in each bar, and I don't have the skill yet to make damascus I'm comfortable selling with my name on it. And I don't really do pretty display type either. Most of my blades are big, forge finish, rustic stuff made for camping, hunting, and general heavy use. And it's gotten to the point that I work my regular job 80 hours a week (7 - 12's) so I rarely have time to get in the forge. I take special orders but they are one a case by case basis. I'd love to have the funds to go full time but it's gonna be awhile yet

20150503_172051_zpsov2rfspu.jpg

Sent from behind the anvil Edited by Spots

Thanks man that means a lot. I try my best to make stuff meant to be used and abused and come back for more.You might work with GT or Sybo. I do all my own forging and I'm not comfortable working with some else's damascus because it can be hard to heat treat due to the variables in each bar, and I don't have the skill yet to make damascus I'm comfortable selling with my name on it. And I don't really do pretty display type either. Most of my blades are big, forge finish, rustic stuff made for camping, hunting, and general heavy use. And it's gotten to the point that I work my regular job 80 hours a week (7 - 12's) so I rarely have time to get in the forge. I take special orders but they are one a case by case basis. I'd love to have the funds to go full time but it's gonna be awhile yet20150503_172051_zpsov2rfspu.jpg
Sent from behind the anvil

Thank spots for the information.. I appreciate your response and I love your work.

My first recommendations always going to go towards a forum members work...

But another Tennessee blade smith I'm aware of is Kim Breed who IIRC is still located in Montgomery County. He does Damascus knife work, and has used braided steel cables to forge those same blades and hardware. He's retired military and by all accounts a bit of a character in some respects.

http://olegvolk.net/blog/2012/11/08/kim-breed-custom-knives-sharp-jewelry/

FWIW this isn't an endorsement or recommendation merely providing information.

My first recommendations always going to go towards a forum members work...
But another Tennessee blade smith I'm aware of is Kim Breed who IIRC is still located in Montgomery County. He does Damascus knife work, and has used braided steel cables to forge those same blades and hardware. He's retired military and by all accounts a bit of a character in some respects.
http://olegvolk.net/blog/2012/11/08/kim-breed-custom-knives-sharp-jewelry/
FWIW this isn't an endorsement or recommendation merely providing information.

I own a couple of Kim's knives and they are fantastic! My absolute fav is a Damascus folder I got from him when I first met him about 4 years ago.

You will never be disappointed with Kim's work.

I own a couple of Kim's knives and they are fantastic! My absolute fav is a Damascus folder I got from him when I first met him about 4 years ago.

You will never be disappointed with Kim's work.

HIs work is awesome ..I didn't realize he was local ..email has been sent to him

HIs work is awesome ..I didn't realize he was local ..email has been sent to him

I haven't been to his shop but one time. My brother-in-law is big buddies with him. But as I said, his work is fantastic. I also have a couple of his neck knives and you can't believe how sharp they are.

I hope to get back to see him with b-I-l soon. It's an experience.