Leather or Kydex

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leather is most comfortable for IWB carry, depending on the design and the firearm. Though, I've heard that Comp Tac's kydex IWB holsters are very comfortable, can't say I've never tried one myself however.

Leather is almost always easier and more comfortable to conceal, even OWB, since kydex holsters are generally more bulky and stiff. When concealment is not an issue (such as open-carry, or at the range) there are many polymer/kydex holsters which offer excellent comfort, balance and retention... For instance, I love my Blackhawk SERPA.

Guest LegalRaptor

For me, that's a tough question. I have no comfort problems with my Comp-Tac Infidel (Kydex) but I really like my Andrews MacDaniel II for my 1911 (leather). For ease of use, the Comp-Tac FBI Paddle is hard to beat-slip it on and off easily, and it carries high and tight with a good gunbelt. For IWB, I think you need a firm holster to allow easy re-holstering, so the leather isn't all that much softer than the the kydex in that form. SO.....I guess it depends on the use and the gun.

Guest Hyaloid

I have Kydex and leather... and they are both comfy. reholstering is a bit easier in Kydex, but a good quality leather holster should be reinforced at the mouth to assist that.

My only advice would be to attempt to "try before you buy".

I plan on carrying IWB, so it looks like the concensus is leather. That's what I was thinking also, but wanted some other opinions. My carry weapon will be a Taurus Mil. Pro 9mm. Its very small, so concealing it won't be a problem. Has anyone had any (positive or negative) dealings with High Noon Holsters? They have a nice-looking tuckable IWB for only $35.00. I'm not sure if I would always tuck a shirt in, but the option sounds appealing to me.

Thanks for all of the replies. You guys are fast. :D

Jay

I'd say leather. I have a CTAC and a K&D Dakota Defender. The Defender (leather) is way more comfortable and fitting than the CTAC. That being said, I was never uncomfortable with the CTAC. It is a great holster as well. Custom leather just can't be beat. The only drawback is that you will probably have to wait 10 weeks as opposed to 1 week (or less) on a quality custom leather holster. Cost are a wash. check out K&D http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/holsters_accessories.html. Very, Very good. just check my thread on mine. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129

• Administrator

I have never thought my kydex Comp-Tac CTAC holster was uncomfortable and I have worn it for 12+ hours before. A good kydex holster, like the CTAC, will be just as comfortable as a leather holster and has the added advantage that it retains it's shape, is easier to reholster, faster to unholster, doesn't retain sweat or moisture and doesn't retain dirt / grit like leather does. Moister, dirt and grit are all damaging to the finish of a firearm.

That said, I do have a premium quality leather IWB holster on order from K&D Holsters for my 5" 1911. I've owned a few low-end leather holsters (like Galco) in the past and found them to be garbage. I've heard nothing but rave reviews for K&D's stuff so I thought I'd splurge a little and put my 1911 in a traditional leather rig just to see how it works out.

Whatever you do... if you go leather do NOT skimp on quality. Cheap holsters end up in the trash or in box o' holsters in your closet. They generally sour you to the idea of carrying for extended periods of time due to being uncomfortable or poorly designed.

Likewise do NOT skimp on a good stiff belt designed for the purpose of carrying a firearm. Your belt is the foundation for your carry rig and will make or break the comfort and practicality of your setup. An uncomfortable belt / holster combo will get left at home more often than not, and the first rule of surviving any gunfight is to bring a gun.

Wilderness Tactical makes some very nice nylon web belts that are perfect for this and fairly economical. Countless holster makers produce stiff leather belts but they tend to be a little pricier and there will be a wait time on delivery.

For that matter, there's almost always a wait time on delivery for a premium leather holster as well. 6-12 weeks tends to be the norm on holsters, a little shorter than that on belts.

Here are some good places to check:

Those are just off the top of my head but I have had personal experience with several and have heard nothing but high praise for the others.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SMSTRICK

All of my holsters are leather. Bianchi IWB, Galco Miami Classic II shoulder rig and Galco Yaqui slide OWB. My favorite and most comfortable is the Galco Miami Classic II.

Anyone have experience with a Versa Max 2?

Only what I have read. They are probably the most highly rated IWB holster made. But I don’t know if it’s because they are that good or if it’s because they are twice the price of everything else and it takes a few months to get one. I emailed them about a VM2 with a thumb break, but the price was just silly. :rolleyes:

Guest jackdog

Although I own a ctac, I still perfer leather, for two reasons.

1 leather seems to give much better retention than the kydex

2. They are extremely quiet when you draw your weapon.

Guess I just love leather.