Looking for Security camera system?

Just had this installed this week. Color daytime cameras with low light night vision. 2 TB DVR. This isn't one of the one you get from the tool outlet store, this is a real commercial grade unit. I replaced my cheap home store one with this and couldn't believe the difference. I even know what cat been sleeping on and scratching my truck at night. When I find some thing that works and won't break my bank account I like pass it on.

With what's going on in the country these days I want to see it coming so I can be ready!

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c0a430aba3cf757594459341a&id=363bbf2d1c&e=d228175fc7

Meh, I got a 4 chan Swann DVR off Amazon for $99 and it is fine. Only 500 GB, but it takes about 5 weeks to start overwriting data. Since 3 of my 4 cameras are record on motion only (which is how folks should set them up) it saves space so having an $800, 2TB DVR is entirely unnecessary. Good quality cameras are good to have, but I got cheap ones for $40 a pop, which is good since my house was struck by lightning, thus frying all my cameras, along with my TV, cable modem, Blu Ray....

I would highly recommend the average person not spend more than a few hundred dollars on a home surveillance system. Perhaps if you own a business, but for home, you can install your own surveillance system for around $300 (cameras, wiring, DVR) and it will do everything you need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My brain automatically defaulted to reading the ad in a caveman/non-native English speaking voice.
But, I love how it's wrapped up with the slick value proposition. I was overwhelmed with a sense of urgency to go out and buy now to protect myself from impending doom!
Throw a comma in that final sentence and it'd almost legitimize the rest of the post ;)

Thats how they catch little kids and old people - social engineering at its finest!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I agree TMF.  I bought the one from Harbor Freight.  Easy to hook up and connected to my router so I can pull it up on my laptop.  Also any activity is emailed to me.  (I have it set to record on motion) I can pull it up on my cell phone and see if I got any deliveries.  4 cameras & can expand to 8.  Extra cameras aren't that expensive.  And like you said, if there's a lightning strike or voltage spike, I'm not out almost a grand.  I've had it since April & no problems so far... and coincidentally, no issues with trespassers since I installed it.  :pleased:

• 2 weeks later...
fwiw if you setup your own dvr/ camera system, invest in a ups to keep lighting and power damage to a minimum. its well worth it. if you get a system professionally done get the same. these systems are never covered from damage caused by acts of nature, like lightning... lightning and water wreak havoc w dvr's and cameras turning them into junk quickly. good supply source: unixcctv.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals! Edited by Dustbuster
  • Administrator

I've stayed out of this thread because I wasn't really sure how I wanted to approach it nor what I really wanted to share for opsec concerns.  I built my own system using commercial-grade PoE (power over ethernet) IP cameras, additional IR illumination for better picture quality at night, a commercial-grade PoE ethernet switch and Luxriot brand software running on a dedicated machine that dumps video to a network attached storage (NAS) device as well as sending motion-triggered frames with pre-and-post event frames to Amazon cloud storage.

If someone were to break into my house, obtain my network video recorder and trash it, it's still too late for them as every bit of it it sent to the cloud instantly where they cannot reach it and destroy it.  The credentials used by the software to write to Amazon cannot delete or modify files, so once they're there... they're there until *I* sign in and delete them.

I'm not going to post brands of cameras or switchgear publicly for the sake of opsec, but anyone who is REALLY interested in knowing what equipment I would recommend can ping me privately and I may answer.  My setup ran me about $2,000 by the time all was said and done but I have 360 degree coverage of the property and very high-res cameras covering front and rear exits and driveway.

Overkill?  Maybe to some, but it's just part of the overall home security system to me.  Plus I enjoyed building it and love to play with tech.

TheGrayMan over at Arfcom is hands down the most knowledgeable "pro amateur" that I have encountered yet and his threads were invaluable to me as I pieced together my own system.  The stuff you buy from SAMs, Costco and others are better than nothing but there's lightyears of difference between what you get from them and what you get from pro-grade equipment.

Check this thread out:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/624112_CCTV_cameras_101_____Table_of_Contents_in_OP____Updated_27_Jun.html