Need Advice On Reloading Kits

I'm looking to get into reloading.  I'm wanting a good complete kit to hand load rifle ammunition to get the most accuracy possible from my rifles.  Mainly .223, .308 and .300blk.  I'm not really interested in high volume. If there's a great kit out there that can accomplish both high volume and consistent high quality then I'm of course interested.  I have lots of experience reloading shotgun shells but none at all for rifle or pistol.  Price is not a major deciding factor.  Suggestions????

Buy the one on sale; if its RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Lee... I dont like the turret presses for rifles; but that's just me... A single stage heavy duty press does the best job in resizing rifle brass... I think, at least...

Good luck...

leroy

So, if you want the absolute best single stage reloading press, the Forster Co-Ax is it.  The only issue with it is is doesn't come in a kit.  

I know we have a lot of Lee fans on this site, but I am not one of them.  Their press is ok, but for me their other components in a kit are junk (again, just my opinion).  

For a kit, and quality in general, I personally recommend RCBS.  It will last forever and they have great service.    They will all get the job done, but I don't know anyone disappointed in the RCBS set.  Quality ammo is a bit subjective to each person, but for me, a Turret press cannot product the same level of quality and consistency that a single stage can.  And as mentioned, in single stages, the Co-Ax is tops.

Lots of good options out there these days.  

• Like 2

So, if you want the absolute best single stage reloading press, the Forster Co-Ax is it.  The only issue with it is is doesn't come in a kit.  

I know we have a lot of Lee fans on this site, but I am not one of them.  Their press is ok, but for me their other components in a kit are junk (again, just my opinion).  

For a kit, and quality in general, I personally recommend RCBS.  It will last forever and they have great service.    They will all get the job done, but I don't know anyone disappointed in the RCBS set.  Quality ammo is a bit subjective to each person, but for me, a Turret press cannot product the same level of quality and consistency that a single stage can.  And as mentioned, in single stages, the Co-Ax is tops.

Lots of good options out there these days.  

Most kits are not top of the line components, but they are a great way to get started.  Lee, Hornady, RCBS all make good turret presses the biggest difference is cost.  While I like the others as well, I just like Lee's quick change turrets better.  It makes changing calibers a quick and easy process.  I also don't like the presses with she'll plates, I prefer ones with one ram and a single case holder.  As far as precision, I never have any issues making precise riffle ammo, much better than I can shoot most times.  I take the index rod out and reload as a single stage, weighing every charge on rifle rounds (hunting) and use the powder droppers on pistol and plinking riffle ammo.  I have the old three hole aluminum turret, the new steel 4 hole press is a great improvement, but not enough for me to upgrade, but a great deal for new reloaders.

Stay from RCBS Turret press period

As a beginning reloader. i researched all and every venue i could think of.

RCBS came up every time.

Midway had a sale on the RCBS turret press kit, no need to purchase anything else, all the small parts and accessories 

I became totally frustrated from all of the results i had. CASE CRUSHING FROM DEATH  THE WOBBLE 0.005 OF THE TURRET (reloading 38/357 mag pistol)

After 6 weeks i sent the kit back to Midway (customer service is awesome) full refund and moved on to REDDING

Take it from a dissatisfied former consumer of RCBS (BS has some implication of the junk they produce)

Flame me if you want,just want the next generation to have a better experience

Edited by wolverine

Stay from RCBS Turret press period

As a beginning reloader. i researched all and every venue i could think of.

RCBS came up every time.

Midway had a sale on the RCBS turret press kit, no need to purchase anything else, all the small parts and accessories

I became totally frustrated from all of the results i had. CASE CRUSHING FROM DEATH THE WOBBLE 0.005 OF THE TURRET (reloading 38/357 mag pistol)

After 6 weeks i sent the kit back to Midway (customer service is awesome) full refund and moved on to REDDING

Take it from a dissatisfied former consumer of RCBS (BS has some implication of the junk they produce)

Flame me if you want,just want the next generation to have a better experience

Your issue was the turret press, not rcbs. That is the exact reason a turret will never make as good of ammo. Some are better than others, but any turret press will flex.
  • Like 1

Your issue was the turret press, not rcbs. That is the exact reason a turret will never make as good of ammo. Some are better than others, but any turret press will flex.

RCBS is the issue. RCBS created the press and sold it under their name, Can you not read the post. The REDDING T7 will out produce precisely anything  you have

Bring it

Read my first post. I said then a turret will not outperform a single stage, and of the single stages, the co-ax is best. I also said they don't make a kit. He asked about a kit. I recommended an RCBS single stage kit. Not sure where the confusion was.

You said your Redding will out produce anything I have. Anything I have is a co-ax press plus others. Seems pretty straightforward.

Since I am in the mood, I will add, turret presses of any manufacturer have an inherent design flaw. An informed consumer understands that flaw before purchasing. If you expected perfect ammo, you shouldn't have bought a turret press to start. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I think I have one or two sets of Lee handgun dies, but they are only used in my progressive.  For rifle, most of my dies are RCBS, Hornady, or Redding.

As far as Turrets go, Redding is good, but they also have their runout complaints as well.  If it works for you, that is all that matters.

Edited by Hozzie

I think I have one or two sets of Lee handgun dies, but they are only used in my progressive.  For rifle, most of my dies are RCBS, Hornady, or Redding.

OK  

My straight for my case  loads  Hornady ( free bullets are hard to pass up) for pistols

Rifle dies are Redding  with the Forester micro seater that i shoot from my sa  bolt guns

Edited by wolverine

I use Lee for pistol and blaster ammo, Hornady for 458 SOCOM, and Redding competition dies for my precision rifle stuff (with an exception). My Grendel loads are compressed, and the Redding Competition seater is too whimpy to do compressed loads. Voids their warranty. So, I seat Grendel with a Forster competition die. Of course, my precision loads are done on the coax, since the pussy Redding stuff won't seat compressed loads :).

• Like 1

I use Lee for pistol and blaster ammo, Hornady for 458 SOCOM, and Redding competition dies for my precision rifle stuff (with an exception). My Grendel loads are compressed, and the Redding Competition seater is too whimpy to do compressed loads. Voids their warranty. So, I seat Grendel with a Forster competition die. Of course, my precision loads are done on the coax, since the pussy Redding stuff won't seat compressed loads :).

I consider the source from your avatar Monkey man

are those your ears or hand holds ???!!!!

Edited by wolverine

Thanks for the replies thus far.  I was thinking single stage may be better for the most consistent loads.

Yes.  The turret is awesome for what it does (making good volumes of ammo in a less expensive setup with a decent quality output) but it does have more wiggle in it.    I don't have access to the distances that would make a difference... I can lay all my shots side by side if I do my part.   But I know if I took them 500+ yards there would be issues caused by the wiggle in my turrets and the slop in my rapid powder dump device.    I won't trade my turret in, but theres a good chance its not what you seek.