Weigh versus measure

I've been reloading for about 16 years now. I traded an old motorcycle for an RCBS and all the gear to do it with. 

I've been hand weighing powder on a Pacific mechanic scale for all these years. And I'll be honest, the scales are what keep me from reloading any more than I do. But I was told going into this that weighing versus measuring was what REALLY got you accurate. And my rounds do very very well.

I've been watching hickok45's videos over on youtube. I've just recently discovered him. And he has a Dillon press and I'm really thinking of taking the plunge and getting me one. But I'm not crazy about measured powder. Someone set me straight on this. Is measuring just as good (and safe) as my meticulous weighing procedure? 

I have Dillon RL550B I've used for 26 years.  I've loaded 10's to maybe 100's of thousand of general range ammo, bullet hose fodder and competition ammo and you can't beat it for the amount of time you can do it in.  If your getting into long range accuracy it's capable of doing that as well depending on the type of powder you are measuring or metering.  Extruded or stick powders tend to be the trouble makers when it comes to measuring by volume.  So basically the difference is the powder is metered volumetrically instead of by weight. Back when I shot a lot of High Power competitions I and most of the guys I talked with loaded 200 and 300 yard ammo by volume and did just fine with it.  There where some that did their 600 yard loads by volume and some  others that weighed every charge.  I did the charge by volume and maybe check every 5th charge and rarely was it ever off by more than .5 grains which was good enough for me.  There are the long range accuracy fanatics that wouldn't think of measuring by volume and that's fine with me if that's what they want to do. So if accuracy is what your after and you believe weighing is critical then keep weighing.  The only way you'll really know is experiment and load some metered by volume.  I hope this helps.

volume is absolutely safe -- millions of rounds have been loaded with a dipper or a volumetric dropping device.  Weight is more precise.   Volume has random air fluff in each charge,  and some powders this is significant while others it is almost zero (smaller particle powders have less air space problems).  Weight is weight ... if every charge weighs the same, you have the same amount of powder in there.   But its tedious.

If you are not making serious competition ammo or long range precision ammo  or something like that, volume is fine.   I make mine with a cheap lee disk device and the ammo is better accuracy than most store bought at medium pistol ranges of say 20 yards.    I use fine grain powder to reduce the air/error and its great.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 2

I had always wondered about the difference in group capability of the ammo created by weighing every powder charge v. throwing the charges from a measure such as the Lyman 55 or RCBS Uniflow.  Several months ago I saw an article in either Handloader or Rifle magazine where the author addressed this very question.  He was an experienced shooter of note with credentials, just can't recall his name.  His test platform was a reliably tight grouping rifle in a standard caliber, not a bench rest rig with an experimental caliber.  To cut to the chase, the ammo he assembled by "throwing" the charges through a measure grouped slightly tighter than those that were weighed.  Strange, but true.  One time luck?  Can't say.  For all so many years I have insisted on weighing every single charge I placed in a rifle case.  Will continue doing that with the really large extruded (stick) powders, but when charging ball or short stick powders for recreational purposes my work day has suddenly gotten simpler.  Of course none of these will be maximum level loads, just the every day fun loads that make me smile.  Your mileage may vary, but I found the article beneficial.

Stumpy

• Like 1

Initial adjustments and periodic sanity checks are the only time I weigh any charges. I agree that weight is theoretically more accurate, but I only use low volume powders like Bullseye and Win231, so volume is surprisingly consistent.

Using a case activated powder drop is perfectly safe to me, especially if you're using an auto-indexing turret or progressive. I think it removes a level of human error, because you're less likely to double charge or skip a charge. As long as you visually inspect as you go to make sure there wasn't a rare mechanical failure, you're gonna be safe.

• Like 1

I've never weighed a charge of powder for a muzzleloader. As for metallic cartridges, I'll weigh charges and calibrate my powder measure for a baseline, and periodically weigh a charge to ensure nothing has changed.

I find accuracy as good using volume derived charges as weight based charges.