Ruger SR45

mhl6493

... so that HUGE FNX 45 might be a possibility; if he has really big hands...

Nope, don't have big hands.  I tried out a Glock 21 - felt like a 2 x 4.  Not sure if I had to that I could fire it accurately one-handed - just couldn't grip it well enough.  If the FNX is anything like that, it probably wouldn't work for me.  Nothing feels like a 1911 to me, and I may wind up just going with that.  Was thinking, though, that a little more capacity in a bedside gun wouldn't hurt.  And I'm definitely not opposed to 9mm - it would be fine as well.  

Nope, don't have big hands.  I tried out a Glock 21 - felt like a 2 x 4.  Not sure if I had to that I could fire it accurately one-handed - just couldn't grip it well enough.  If the FNX is anything like that, it probably wouldn't work for me.  Nothing feels like a 1911 to me, and I may wind up just going with that.  Was thinking, though, that a little more capacity in a bedside gun wouldn't hurt.  And I'm definitely not opposed to 9mm - it would be fine as well.  

As I've earlier alluded the G-21 is a bit to bulky for my hand, the SR45 isn't. The S&W M&P 45 feels pretty good too but I don't like the grip angle. The SA XD M feels ok but I dislike its humpbacked slide and much prefer the XDs 45. As to all the others...fish in the pond, if you snag one and like it good for you. If the OP were interested I'd recommend he give a LW Commander style 1911 A1 a try.

• Like 1

Have you handled an SR45 yet? VERY 1911-ish in the grip...

I had planned to when I went to my lgs the other night, but I got distracted by the Sig p226 Legion (And a Springfield TRP).  Before I do anything, I definitely plan to handle the SR45.  

Edited by mhl6493

Nope, don't have big hands. I tried out a Glock 21 - felt like a 2 x 4. Not sure if I had to that I could fire it accurately one-handed - just couldn't grip it well enough. If the FNX is anything like that, it probably wouldn't work for me. Nothing feels like a 1911 to me, and I may wind up just going with that. Was thinking, though, that a little more capacity in a bedside gun wouldn't hurt. And I'm definitely not opposed to 9mm - it would be fine as well.

Maybe some Chip McCormick 10rd mags are in order for a 1911 on nightstand duty?
  • Like 1

Maybe some Chip McCormick 10rd mags are in order for a 1911 on nightstand duty?

That's also something I'm considering.  I have a parkerized Springfield Loaded with night sights that would probably do the trick nicely.  But then I'd lose the excuse to buy another gun...  :shhh:

Also, I'd really like to attach a light to my nightstand gun, but I'm not sure I want a railed 1911.  I'm still working through that one as well.  I definitely wouldn't want a full rail, but I've seen a few models with half a rail that didn't look half bad.

Edited by mhl6493

That's also something I'm considering. I have a parkerized Springfield Loaded with night sights that would probably do the trick nicely. But then I'd lose the excuse to buy another gun... :shhh:

Also, I'd really like to attach a light to my nightstand gun, but I'm not sure I want a railed 1911. I'm still working through that one as well. I definitely wouldn't want a full rail, but I've seen a few models with half a rail that didn't look half bad.

A Springfield TRP with the half rail would do nicely. Or a Colt Rail Gun. Or or or or... :)

You might take a look at the H&K HK45 full size or a Sig P227 both are 10rd .45s
  • Like 1

I know law enforcement pricing is $428 without night sights. Where have you seen them for that? I think le pricing on the cheapest 45 is close to a grand.

Brother in law picked one up at academy in Knox last night for $450. It's the two tone model without night sites. Standard model was a few dollars less I believe.

I tired to sale my black model with night sites for 400 on here and didn't have much luck. Edited by Parrothead