VIS Model 35 failure-to-extract: ideas?

Friend of mine brought a VIS Model 35 to the range Saturday.  Really neat old gun (serial number and configuration (no stock slot) puts date of manufacture around late 1942 - early 1943) that just reeks John Browning excellence.  Very accurate with hardball UMC and Blazer brass 9mm.  One major issue, though - it consistently experienced a failure-to-extract with the last round in the magazine.  Never a hiccup with any other round, but every time the last soldier was fired, the gun would leave the brass just sitting in the chamber - nary a hint of extraction effort.  He only has a single magazine (not easy to come by those), so we did not have an opportunity to try another one.  Any ideas on what might be ailing this fine old specimen, and how to remedy it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a serious cleaning then look closely at the tip of the magazine follower for burrs that could cause drag, tell bottom of the slide where it could contact the mag as well.

When cleaning make sure you get the hook of the extractor clean there is usually dried up very hard deposits there. (A dental pick helps)

The extractor is 1911 style and tension can be adjusted by a gunsmith.

Magazines used to be made by Triple K

Good luck these can be real good shooters but many have lived a hard life of little or no maintenance. I had one in my shop years ago that wouldn't run at all. After I stripped tell Krylon spray paint off it was 100%!

Might be the magazine follower, i would lean that way.  I would try cleaning first, cheapest, then a mag;

I agree magazine related.

What could a magazine have to do with a spent casing being extracted from the chamber?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

What could a magazine have to do with a spent casing being extracted from the chamber?

- OS

Sometimes when the lips or the follower go bad from wear or if it's a junk mag, it will interfere with the round being extracted.  Found this pic on the web which shows one way, which is to have the next round be pushed up and keep the round in the chamber, sometimes it's the follower that does the blocking:

9067508.jpg

Sometimes when the lips or the follower go bad from wear or if it's a junk mag, it will interfere with the round being extracted.  Found this pic on the web which shows one way, which is to have the next round be pushed up and keep the round in the chamber, sometimes it's the follower that does the blocking:

9067508.jpg

Hmm, thanks.

Well, though not generally recommended to do too often,  can always just drop a single round in chamber with no mag, drop slide, and see if that is indeed the prob. (I assume there's no mag interlock safety in that heater?)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Hmm, thanks.

Well, though not generally recommended to do too often,  can always just drop a single round in chamber with no mag, drop slide, and see if that is indeed the prob. (I assume there's no mag interlock safety in that heater?)

- OS

I'm not familiar with the Vis 35, but it's similar to the hi-power so I wonder if it has a magazine disconnect like some flavors of the hi-power?

No mag disconnect on a Radom VIS 35.

The mag follower can drag on the slide slowing it just enough to keep the extractor from fully engaging the rim. Not common, but in these old guns with questionable magazines and poor maintenance/cleaning it can happen.

I believe in this case it only happens on the last round. So the example in the photo may not apply.

I'd bet the extractor tension is off a bit too.

Without hands on it is "hard tellin not knowin"

I now have the gun in hand to play with for a few days.  First blush, noticed that the lefthand top lip of the mag (the extractor side) looks to be curled inward a tick (doesn't look like its meant to be that way) - may be affecting the travel/location of the follower when the last round leaves the mag.  I'll get a chance to tear it down tomorrow evening and check the slide for wear marks, internal gunk, etc (overall, the pistol looks to be very clean).

Owner believes there is another mag for this one in storage, and is looking for it.  We have an ATA shoot Saturday afternoon, and if daylight allows, I will run up to the pistol ranges afterwards and try a few different ammo/grain combos to see if there is any pattern to be found there.

Edited by GKar