Long Gun Shooting Range

ford4wd08

Hello all, first post here.Hope this is posted in the right place. I live in West Knoxville and have two boys I am easing into shooting/hunting. I am looking for a place to shoot/plink with my boys and our 22's mostly. We went to an indoor range yesterday which is ok in a sense, but I would much prefer an outdoor range. I know there are a few ranges in the area, but I am looking somewhere to join that we can plink and not be too crowded. I would also like a range where we can shoot basically any (safe) target we bring with us. I was wondering if you all could provide any insight to this for me. Options are listed below:

1) ORSA - $120 for all family membership, have heard its a great facility and I have someone that could sponsor me as well. The 120 does cover the whole family from what I've read. Worried about being crowded, but have read they a have dedicated plinking range.

2) Norris Watershed Range - $40? a year, haven't confirmed this yet, need to make some phone calls. Does this apply to just one person, or would that cover my boys as well?

I will not go to the range at John Sevier on Rifle Range Rd. I understand being safe, but being a butt hole at the same time should not be a requirement.

Thanks,

Jordan

Can't beat ORSA for bang-for-the buck.

There are enough ranges at ORSA so there is always somewhere to shoot ...you can always find room on the plinking range or the benchrest range or the competition range, but there are caliber restrictions on some of them so you just need to take a few different guns with you to make sure that you'll have something that you can shoot on any range. 

I've been a member for 3 yrs and have never had to wait on a shooting position out there, but i typically go on weekday afternoons...probably more crowded on weekends.

You can come and go as you please during daylight hours...don't have to check-in with anyone except maybe on the skeet and indoor pistol ranges (indoor pistol range is not always open).

They are raising the rate in 2016...to $140 or $150 its seems...can't remember exactly.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I live in Farragut and agree that you cannot beat ORSA for the money.  I have been there several times and was the only person on the range.  Of course that was in the middle of a weekday.  The new membership is $150 but that is still a bargain IMHO.  I have also never met anyone who was not extremely friendly and/or helpful toward others.  Have made some great friends over the past year and a half.

Been an ORSA member for over 5 years. Even though I have plenty of acreage Here I prefer to shoot the pistol competitions there. Great ranges, great people, great competitions.

Just got my news letter. Dues will be going to $150. It's a little stiff but the money is slated for some fantastic renovations.

Been an ORSA member for over 5 years. Even though I have plenty of acreage Here I prefer to shoot the pistol competitions there. Great ranges, great people, great competitions.

Just got my news letter. Dues will be going to $150. It's a little stiff but the money is slated for some fantastic renovations.

Be nice to get an indoor bathroom on the AP range wouldn't it.

No - there is no such requirement to be a club member.

Is it a "requirement" you belong to one of the nationally recognized shooting org's to join at ORSA ?

I think there is something on the application about if you don't have a sponsor that you need to have a NRA safety course, but I could be wrong. They just want to make sure you're a safe around guns. With the monthly pistol matches open to the public it's not hard to make friends that can sponsor you and demonstrate that you're safe with gun handling.

I think there is something on the application about if you don't have a sponsor that you need to have a NRA safety course, but I could be wrong. They just want to make sure you're a safe around guns. With the monthly pistol matches open to the public it's not hard to make friends that can sponsor you and demonstrate that you're safe with gun handling.

I read the application/membership stuff on their website, and I got the impression they "preferred" or wanted you to belong to one of the named organizations, and you needed a sponsor.  Wasn't real clear on the 1st year probation statement tho.  I understand the "safety" issue, but seems like the club would sponsor that, or have one of their own safety courses that would be beneficial for all members, whether new to the shooting world, or just getting back into it (like me), or someone just wants a refresher course because it's been a long time since the last one.  

I read the application/membership stuff on their website, and I got the impression they "preferred" or wanted you to belong to one of the named organizations, and you needed a sponsor. Wasn't real clear on the 1st year probation statement tho. I understand the "safety" issue, but seems like the club would sponsor that, or have one of their own safety courses that would be beneficial for all members, whether new to the shooting world, or just getting back into it (like me), or someone just wants a refresher course because it's been a long time since the last one.

The probation thing is to keep a new member from sponsoring another new member and so on. They pretty much just want to be able to keep a certain level of member there. Not the idiot from some public range that sweeps the line and destroys target stands and what not.

Hi Jordan, welcome to TGO, you've found a great place.

Ditto what everyone has said RE: ORSA so far. Been a member for a few months, very glad I joined.

Yes, all new members should be $150 (I got in just under the wire). It does cover entire household (under 21, unlimited guests, but must be w/ you at all times).

I did not have a sponsor when I signed up, just mailed in the paper application w/ a check for the dues, few weeks later I was @ the orientation meeting. The skeet/trap ranges are very nice. Place has an almost country-club atmosphere in some ways (mean that as a compliment)?

Plinking range is wide-open, and usually the busiest on weekends... but you can always find an open lane. About 10-covered stations? 50-yds deep, earthen berms on 3-sides, you bring the targets, produce is encouraged.... :D Rifle ranges are a bit more organized, you will meet some very serious shooters there (in addition to folks sighting in their deer rifles), Archery range is a nice touch, too. The whole facility, really, is a "good' example of that kind of range.

I've been to Windrock a few times through "Range Day" announcements I've seen here, keep an eye out to try out some slick guns, and meet lots of TGO'ers!

However Windrock is not in the same caliber as ORSA (eh, eh.... I'm here all week folks!) Windrock is 3 lanes dug out of the side of a hill, with some steel targets on the pistol range. 1 of the rifle-ranges @ ORSA is bigger than all of Windrock. Depending what you are looking for in a range, it may be the better answer for you?

I have witnessed members correcting un-safe behavior at ORSA. Folks are very accommodating and agreeable, even when disagreeing. Everyone is an RSO, if you're on the range, you're in charge of keeping it safe. Eyes and ears are also taken very seriously.

Would also be happy to give you a tour if you'd like. I've been enjoying the new steel-plate range w/ our .22. Bang... PING! Great fun!

Just give me an excuse to go there, that's all I need! :D Sat. shooting starts @ 9, Sundays they keep quiet until noon. Dusk ends all outdoor shooting. Let me know when you'd like to go and I can meet you out there this weekend, or during the week.

- Kevin

• Like 1
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Sounds like ORSA will be the place. I would like to visit sometime I have a fellow engineer I work with that is a member that has offered to take me out there, but if that doesn't work out I'll be sure to contact one of you to go out there. Thanks for the warm welcome [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk