Who pocket-carries a single-action .380?

enfield

No doubt about that! I was just wondering how good they were in a pocket or if a DA would be a better choice for pocket carry.

Do the Sig and Kimber have hammer-block safeties? I gather both have a thumb safety.
  • Like 1

I carried the sig ready to go with safety on, its the 9mm upgrade version now, but same thing, safety on and ready to go with a click.

I have practiced draw/shoot drills etc.  It does not snag for me.  I have smallish hands, though, if that matters. 

I picked it because I can shoot it.  I can't pull the trigger on the DAO guns.  A few of the better models, barely, some if I use 2 fingers on the trigger.   Too much computer and such, my hands are shot and I could empty my sig 9 3 times including reloads in the time I could empty a heavy DAO once, and I can do it accurately whereas I can't put all my might into the trigger pull AND control the aim.  Also practice, I can shoot the 380 all day with no problems, the 9 one box and recoil starts to add up,  but a dao, I am done practicing after 2 mags tops and even that leads to severe hand cramps.     People make a mountain out of thumbing off the safety, which is easy to do with minimal practice.   But somehow a trigger pull that is too heavy to use is never an issue, its almost taboo to mention it as a problem even when it is.    

It all adds up to the DAOs being unusable for me.   DA/SA I can handle; I carried a Makarov for many years before the sigs.   I cocked the hammer for the first shot, practice and I could do that while drawing.    DA/SA have a LOT of trigger slop though, its unpleasant even though I can use them -- I converted the mak to a sao target pistol and have largely put my DA/SA guns aside. 

I do have some usable DA guns.  I have a fixed ruger gp 100 revolver that I can shoot DA all day long, and wife has a low trigger weight (but gigantic) full sized 9.     But you can't fix most of the autos or smaller framed stuff, and I do like my pocket sized guns... so...

Snag would be a legit concern if your pockets are very small/tight/etc.    Lint won't stop it from working unless you have it caked into the gun deep.  You can gum up a dao that way too, though.  It would have to completely stop a significant portion of the hammer impact, which is going to be very unlikely.   The hammer isn't exposed in a way that snags, though.  Its small,  rounded but textured,  its entirely blocked by the frame ... to snag it you would have to rotate the gun in your pocket and try to draw it out crooked.  Straight out of the holster, there isn't anything to hit.   Its not a classic revolver hammer with a big hook on it for your thumb or anything.

Shoot what you like.  Safeties bother some people.   Light/short triggers scare some people (including the entire NYPD).   I can't use the heavy stuff, so my options are more limited.   I supposed I could get a no-safety glock 380 or whatever, but I think I like what I have an awful lot.   

Edited by Jonnin

I carry the sig p238 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster in my front pocket..  I have carried all the usual suspect pocket 380s (Kel Tec, Ruger LCP, etc), most of them in a Galco pocket protector holster.  I switched to the Sig p238, which I had owned for years but never carried because I prefer SA/DA weapons (bigger SIgs).  I switched to the p238 because I decided in my mind that it is just a better shooting weapon than the other 380s that I have carried.  It just feels "better" when I rack the slide and when I shoot.  Plus it has real sights, which I really like.  I carried a Diamondback .380 for a while, which is my second favorite.  Again, the Sig just SEEMS more reliable to me, in my mind.  I practice drawing it all the time and have never had any issues with the hammer snagging.  I REALLY like the Desantis Nemisis holster, which seems to work as described (it is kind of "sticky" and stays in my pocket when I draw.)  I carried a Galco pocket holster before and it is a rough suede on the outside which grabbed well at first, then when it got dirty and worn, the suede just kind of polished down to smooth leather, and did not grab as well to my  pocket when I would draw the weapon.  I bought the Desantis because the Galco did not totally cover the trigger of the sig like it did with previous 380s, but only AFTER I bought it did I realize how much I like it.  With the Galco, I just kind of pushed down on the top of the holster when I would draw the weapon to break the tension.  I would still be doing that if I had not discovered the Desantis Nemesis (if it covered the trigger, of course).  I have never had the safety come off in my pocket.  I did engage the safety once when I had the slide off.  The little spring and pin shot out about 20 feet and it took me about 90 min to find them on the floor of my garage.  If you get a sig and decide to clean it, avoid putting the safety on with the slide OFF, if you can help it.  Trust me on that one.

Edited by ma6907
  • Like 2

I carried a sig 238/938 in a Blackhawk size 3 for the past 3-4 years. Cocked and locked. Never had the safety come off

Enfield...

What Ropin said above has been exactly my experience withe the sig 238... I carry mine in the front pocket in an old roughout D>M. Bullard pocket holster... The sig is well made and the safety detent is solid... In my opinion; ya simply cant buy a better external hammer 380 than a sig... Havin said all that, i could go for a hammerless S&W pretty quickly... I like 'em....

By the way... This is the holster i use... Mine is a roughout... http://store.dmbullardleather.com/catalog/product/2720d3077c3d4b8da17a2c2e2bd05e33

Hope this helps...

leroy

Edited by leroy

What holster and what condition do you carry the pistol in?

At times yes. A Sig 238 cocked and locked in Galco leather pocket holster.

Very, very pleased. But many other great options for folks uncomfortable with a single action!

I also carry a Sig 938 in my front pocket. I use a Desantis Superfly, never snagged nor had the safety come off unexpectedly. On the 938, the safety is very positive and requires some force to disengage. It isn't going to come off on its own.

I've also carried the LCP in an identical configuration, and the 938 has pretty much replaced it unless I need the smaller gun. Why? Caliber and accuracy.

I'm not going to start a caliber war (I still carry .380 when needed) but I'd rather carry a bigger round if I can.

The 938 is also incredibly accurate for what it is. Between the sights and the single action trigger, it shoots more like a full size handgun than a pocket gun. i can shoot just as well as I can my full size Glocks and 1911s. With the LCP, I'm "man accurate," but its really a bad breath distance kind of gun (at least for me).

But yeah, if you aren't comfortable with single action, there a ton of good pocket guns out there these days.

• Like 1

p238 in a Recluse TS Front holster.  Cocked and locked - never had the safety go anywhere I didn't take it.  Draw is smooth, holster stays where it should, gun comes with me.

Thanks @Gkar--I like the looks of the Recluse.  I think Ill try it when I get tired of my Desantis Nemesis.  I wish there was a trial service for holsters.  I really never can tell what I like till I wear it for a week or so.  I have sometimes spent almost as much finding a holster I like as I did on the weapon.