Glock 20 gen4 upgrades

Wingshooter

I am finally getting a G20 gen4 :)

What upgrades and ammo should I be looking at? This will be mostly a woodsgun, so I want to shoot the "real-deal" heavy loads. How is Underwood 200gr (at least until I get some 10mm dies)?

Mainly I'm curious about the spring/guide rod. Should I be looking at a 22# spring? Where can I find a dual gen4 style 22# spring? Everything I see online is the the single spring setup.

I'm considering the Truglo TFO green/green sights for this one, but I've never used them before.
Thanks leroy.

I'm going to go ahead and order some Underwood. Guess I should also get a barrel to shoot the hard cast loads.

I like the Big Dot sights too. I have the Ameriglo Pro i-dot on my 17. I like them, but I might give the TFOs a shot.

Do you have the factory recoil spring in yours?
  • Like 1

Have done some work to my G20 Gen4.  I carry in the woods also.  I put on a LoneWolf SS Guide Rod / Spring in it and MeproLight Night Sights but thinking about putting a Burris Fastfire III on it.  If you get a different shooting barrel take a look at KKM Precision Barrels.  Going to pick one of those up soon also to shoot hard cast, reloads, etc.  I've had good luck with Underwood and Atlanta Arms ammo and have heard good things about Buffalo Bore also.  Hunt/Carry Underwood JHP 180gr XTP. 

• Like 1
When I still had my G20 Gen 4 I left it mostly stock however....

I would definitely put a LW SSGR and slightly heavier recoil spring in it.

Id polish up the feedramp and guide rails on the inside as well as the firing mechanism

Ghost 3.5 D/C and LW 6lb trigger spring

Night sights or at least Glock steel sights if thats your thing

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Wing...

Both mine still have the stock recoil spring in 'em... I'm kinda like you... Probably need ta look at a bit heavier one... I like the idea of a rifled barrel to shoot hard cast linotype loads out of... Would like to try some 200 grain truncated flat noses in them; and load 'em pretty heavy... I'm kinda thinkin about a Storm Lake barrel; they are brother Tennesseeans right here in East Tennessee... http://www.storm-lake.com/ ...

My guess is that their aint a nickel's worth of difference between any of them... They all work very well...

leroy

• Like 2

Have done some work to my G20 Gen4.  I carry in the woods also.  I put on a LoneWolf SS Guide Rod / Spring in it and MeproLight Night Sights but thinking about putting a Burris Fastfire III on it.  If you get a different shooting barrel take a look at KKM Precision Barrels.  Going to pick one of those up soon also to shoot hard cast, reloads, etc.  I've had good luck with Underwood and Atlanta Arms ammo and have heard good things about Buffalo Bore also.  Hunt/Carry Underwood JHP 180gr XTP.

When I still had my G20 Gen 4 I left it mostly stock however....
I would definitely put a LW SSGR and slightly heavier recoil spring in it.
Id polish up the feedramp and guide rails on the inside as well as the firing mechanism
Ghost 3.5 D/C and LW 6lb trigger spring
Night sights or at least Glock steel sights if thats your thing

Do you use a gen 1-3 style ss guide rod/spring or the double gen4 style?

Wing...
Both mine still have the stock recoil spring in 'em... I'm kinda like you... Probably need ta look at a bit heavier one... I like the idea of a rifled barrel to shoot hard cast linotype loads out of... Would like to try some 200 grain truncated flat noses in them; and load 'em pretty heavy... I'm kinda thinkin about a Storm Lake barrel; they are brother Tennesseeans right here in East Tennessee... http://www.storm-lake.com/ ...
My guess is that their aint a nickel's worth of difference between any of them... They all work very well...

leroy

I didn't even realize Storm Lake is a TN company. They're less than an hour from me, I'll order from them. :up:
  • Like 1

Do you use a gen 1-3 style ss guide rod/spring or the double gen4 style?

I had the double RSA in my Gen 4 but my shooting buddy has SS FLGR and Wolff 22# recoil spring and his felt alot better than the stock dual RSA.

If you want to have color coded one ...of all things that Zev has their RSs are pretty affordable.

If you need any polish work done let me know I just did it on my Glock 17 and 21 tonight. I also stripped the coating of my P220 barrel and polished it and boy does that lack of friction feel nice

• Like 1

I had the double RSA in my Gen 4 but my shooting buddy has SS FLGR and Wolff 22# recoil spring and his felt alot better than the stock dual RSA.
If you want to have color coded one ...of all things that Zev has their RSs are pretty affordable.
If you need any polish work done let me know I just did it on my Glock 17 and 21 tonight. I also stripped the coating of my P220 barrel and polished it and boy does that lack of friction feel nice

Thanks.

I just ordered a ss gr with 22# spring.

Night sights are next...
  • Like 1
Well, I took the new 20 out for a test drive yesterday. It ran great as expected! I just shot it bone stock with factory 200gr FMJ. I punched out the center with the first shot. It felt great, and I really enjoyed shooting it. No issues with just 50 rounds. I'll put it through the paces when I have more time. I'll post a pic when I get one since that's the "rule", but it's a glock :)

I have a Safariland ALS OWB holster for it now. That will work for woods carry, and I plan to try a shoulder or chest holster at some point or when I'm on the tractor.
  • Like 3
6.5mm or 6.9mm night sights? Most places offer both sizes.

It's shooting dead on right now with the factory sights, factory bbl and factory 200gn FMJ.

I'm thinking about trying these out (combo of tritium and fiber optic)... http://www.glockmeister.com/TRUGLO-TFO-Sights-69mm-Green_Green/productinfo/TG131GT2/ Edited by Wingshooter
I have three sets of night sights within my gun collection. Trijicon, True Glow TFOs, and Siglites on my duty weapon. Honestly there isn't a huge difference in any of them. The Siglites may be the brightest but that is actually tough to call. The TGTFO may be a little easier to see during the day. Edited by Patton
  • Like 2

I have three sets of night sights within my gun collection. Trijicon, True Glow TFOs, and Siglites on my duty weapon. Honestly there isn't a huge difference in any of them. The Siglites may be the brightest but that is actually tough to call. The TGTFO may be a little easier to see during the day.

Are the TGTFO so bright in the day where they are distracting, or do they just give you a little bit of glow from the fiber optic?
The TGTFO are not distracting. During the day they are a little bit better than others but not to where I like them all that much better. My only gripe with them are they are a lot larger than others and the front sight could be more recognizeable. It seems all night sights have a front sight like the rear unless you mix colors. For that reason I wish that I had XS big dots.
  • Like 1
Thanks Patton. It does seem like the TGTFOs are pretty large. I have the Ameriglo idots (http://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Pro-IDOT-Tritium-Glock20-21/dp/B005HJ9HFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454982957&sr=8-2&keywords=ameriglo+night+sights+glock+20) on my G17 and really like them. I thought about putting them on the 20 also, but I'm somewhat partial to a 3-dot system.

Edit: Hmmm... http://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-Glock-Front-Tritium-Sights/dp/B00LTKUD5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1454983160&sr=8-5&keywords=ameriglo+night+sights+glock+20 Edited by Wingshooter
  • 11 months later...
On 2/7/2016 at 9:04 AM, Wingshooter said:

Well, I took the new 20 out for a test drive yesterday. It ran great as expected! I just shot it bone stock with factory 200gr FMJ. I punched out the center with the first shot. It felt great, and I really enjoyed shooting it. No issues with just 50 rounds. I'll put it through the paces when I have more time. I'll post a pic when I get one since that's the "rule", but it's a glock :) the

I have a Safariland ALS OWB holster for it now. That will work for woods carry, and I plan to try a shoulder or chest holster at some point or when I'm on the tractor.

Check out the "undertaker" shoulder harness from HighNoonHolsters.  I carry my Glock 20 + two full mags in that rig.  

• Like 1

Wolff 20 lb spring, adjustables, at the least a connector and trigger polish, and aftermarket barrel for one more inch of velocity and full support. Underwood Ammo is the go-to for off the shelf stuff. Mine likes the 180 gr stuff! Otherwise, roll your own and find a load it likes! 10s ROCK! By the way, mine are Gen 3. 

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/Jim_Grice/media/Mobile Uploads/2014-12/78A93A4D-00A7-4492-9878-162718315915_zpsjpdviv1k.jpg.html?o=205

Edited by sybo