Anyone on here have a 3D printer?

MP5_Rizzo

I coach a youth clay target team and I've been looking for exact scale and 1/4 scale clay targets that are made out of metal or plastic for use in classroom.  The real things are designed to break and they are cheap but I had rather not have to clean up the remains of another broken one in a classroom setting if I don't have to.  If anybody knows of a source for what I'm looking for I sure would like to know about it.  If there is no source I thought a 3D printed one would be the next best option.  So if anyone around here has a 3D printer, what could you do for me?  Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Targets_NYOD.jpg  

Could you not make a mold from a real one and then pour a casting? Should be pretty easy to do with aluminum. I've seen videos for mold making on the internet along with melting and pouring aluminum.

Aluminum, silicon, or epoxy would be a lot cheaper than printing, and more durable.  

• Like 1

Does it matter what color it is? Does it matter how much it weighs? Also how much does durability matter? I can print one in ABS, PLA, woodfiber, or bridge nylon pretty easily though woodfiber is pricy and bridge nylon though strong is very tedious to print with so I would prefer to print at least the first few in PLA due to ease of printing and dirt cheap cost.

Here's the best looking model I found with a quick search.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:899083

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1

Check out your local trophy maker. They usually make trophies for the shooting sports. If they dont have them in inventory they may well order a clay bird for you. I have seen various sizes for the clay bird. Material of the bird is optional. Maybe you can order on line? When I was involved in the sport all kinds of trophies were available.    45

Could you not make a mold from a real one and then pour a casting? Should be pretty easy to do with aluminum. I've seen videos for mold making on the internet along with melting and pouring aluminum.

I have some experience in making castings and have thought of this as a last resort.  I have far too many projects in various states of completion to start another.  I'm looking for a quick get somebody else to do it solution have it now thing.

Find a wood turner near you and have them make one.

Yet another avenue I've thought about and will pursue if all else fails.  I do know a couple of wood turners but they don't seem to want to make time to do this as of yet anyway.  They say that will be easy but nothing even though I've offered to pay them well, their duck calls and fancy wood ink pens seem to take precedence.

Does it matter what color it is? Does it matter how much it weighs? Also how much does durability matter? I can print one in ABS, PLA, woodfiber, or bridge nylon pretty easily though woodfiber is pricy and bridge nylon though strong is very tedious to print with so I would prefer to print at least the first few in PLA due to ease of printing and dirt cheap cost.

Here's the best looking model I found with a quick search.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:899083

Ultimately I would like at least two different colored targets.  The first would be all orange and the other black and orange with the base ring being black and the dome orange like the picture in my OP.  Weight does not matter but does need to be durable to a degree, at least somewhat more durable than a real clay target.  The sample in the link is perfect but is making in two halves the only option?  If two halves how are these joined?  I just did a web search and took a crash course in printing filaments and it looks like ABS is closest to what I'm looking for.

If you have a 3d printer and willing to do this, is fluorescent orange a filament color you would have to buy?   Depending on what the cost is I may be willing to buy however many to justify the cost of a whole roll of filament.

Is printing these a smaller scale an option?

• Admin Team

If you'll get the orange filament, I'll be glad to print a few.  A kilogram spool of orange PLA would be more than enough - that shouldn't run more than about $20.  I've got some grey that could be hit with a quick shot of spray paint to make it black.

• Like 1

What about taking a clay and having it coated with Line-X. They use it to make cinder blocks bomb proof.

Can't cost too much and they could probably do it during another job.

Not sure where but they do sell clays that cannot be broken. They are supposed to be for fooling someone but they might work.

Line-X  is something I've never heard of, I will look into it.  I know I've seen replica targets that are unbreakable but now that I'm looking for one I can't find a supply of them anywhere.

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions.

I'm in a conversation now with somebody that has 3D printer access and I'm ordering some fluorescent orange filament.

I have lots of filament including the black PLA you'll likely want, but no orange. I'm also happy to loan a spool of black PLA to Mac so he'll have both if he wants to handle the printing sans spray paint.

That would be great.  I will follow up when I get the orange.  You guys are awesome!