GA Employer Requires Employees to Carry

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/business-owner-requiring-all-employees-be-armed/nqWHn/

I applaud his effort although I don't think I would make it mandatory but strongly encourage it. Obviously the boss isn't a gun guy. Poor choice of weapons in my opinion. Adequate but poor. I would opt to carry my own which I would have been already unbeknownst to anyone. Edited by glowdotGlock
  • Like 1

While not the best gun for many, it may not be a bad choice in an office environment.  Close quarters with .410 is nothing any bad guy would want to encounter.  As for the mandatory, it may be like that town/city in GA that makes it mandatory for all households to have a gun, no penalties for non-compliance.

While not the best gun for many, it may not be a bad choice in an office environment.  Close quarters with .410 is nothing any bad guy would want to encounter.  As for the mandatory, it may be like that town/city in GA that makes it mandatory for all households to have a gun, no penalties for non-compliance.

I was kind of thinking the same thing - that in an office environment something that would at least lessen the possibility of over-penetration might not be the worst thing.  I'd probably have a speedloader or speed strip full of .45 JHP rounds as a reload just in case.  I have never fired a Judge and know that folks say that they aren't all that accurate at distance with the .45 rounds but COM accuracy in a close quarters, office environment shouldn't be a problem, surely.  I don't own a Judge and haven't even really explored buying one but if someone wanted to give me one I'd say, "Thank you."  If my employer gave me one and told me that I could carry it at work I'd be very happy.  The biggest problem I see with it is size/weight which would probably make it a PITA to carry safely and accessibly in office attire.  For that reason, as SWJewellTN said, I imagine the employees mostly keep them in desk drawers rather than on them.  Then, again, if it is a mandatory thing then maybe open carry at the office is okay, too - which I suspect would make carrying a Judge a lot easier.  Either way, at least this is better than companies that advise employees to do something like throw a stapler at an armed assailant and then try to run away.

Edited by JAB

http://rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm

Gun Ownership - It's The 
Law In Kennesaw
By Jonathan Hamilton and David Burch
KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.
 In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

http://rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm

Gun Ownership - It's The 
Law In Kennesaw
By Jonathan Hamilton and David Burch
KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.
 In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

Just thinking, if they did enforce that law it would really suck for a felon to live there, talking about damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Like 1

Just thinking, if they did enforce that law it would really suck for a felon to live there, talking about damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I guess they can always go with black powder, not sure about GA but Federally they don't consider BP firearms.  Either way a win-win, lower crime and felons must move out.

I hope we see more and more of this type of thought spreading across the country. I see nothing negative about it. I like most don't think I would make it mandatory but I would damn sure make it as option for those employees that do choose to carry and be armed as long as they have the proper training and common sense................jmho 

• Like 1

I guess they can always go with black powder, not sure about GA but Federally they don't consider BP firearms.  Either way a win-win, lower crime and felons must move out.

I remember when Kennesaw passed that law, it was really a protest law because Chicago passed a total handgun ban that same year I believe. BTW Chicago, how did that work out for you?

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/business-owner-requiring-all-employees-be-armed/nqWHn/

I applaud his effort although I don't think I would make it mandatory but strongly encourage it. Obviously the boss isn't a gun guy. Poor choice of weapons in my opinion. Adequate but poor. I would opt to carry my own which I would have been already unbeknownst to anyone.

Yea I would say he isn't around anyone who knows about guns, at least handguns, it's not what I would choose. I would let them choose for themselves after having them fire several at a good range with a good instructor and have them take advanced classes, have a range day a month for practice, have employee competitions. Of course first I would have to be a rich businessman.

• Like 1

Yea I would say he isn't around anyone who knows about guns, at least handguns, it's not what I would choose. I would let them choose for themselves after having them fire several at a good range with a good instructor and have them take advanced classes, have a range day a month for practice, have employee competitions. Of course first I would have to be a rich businessman.

Yea, but then instead of a $4-500 judge he would be buying $8-1200 guns.

Without knowing the details, I can see a possible problem with this. If he buys the guns for his employees, isn't that considered a straw purchase?

Probably just gives them the money, if not pretty sure he would be covered after they got their CCP.

I would make this same suggestion to the city of Chicago but I think if the police did any real research they would probably find out that 97% of all the houses up there already have guns in them. I think that is why most shootings up there take place in parks and streets. Kicking a door in up there for home invasion probably would not be a safe thing to do.............jmho

Funny thing is, if they were just carrying at their office, they do not need a Georgia Weapons Carry License.  If they are going out on calls or anywhere outside their home, car, or business, then they would need the license.

If I were a business owner, I might give some type of incentive to carry, but I don't think I would require it.  Since businesses can refuse to serve gun carriers, I wonder if a business can base a hiring decision on the ability or desire to carry a gun?

If I recall correctly, the Kennessaw ordinance has all sorts of exemptions, such as for conscientious objectors, so in effect it doesn't really require every household in town to have a gun, but I suspect that most everyone assumed that.

The business next door to us is full of AR guys. Last week the owner brought in an instructor to teach the permit class to a couple of new employees that he had recently hired. Everyone participated even if they had their permits. The boss said it would be good for them to review the laws..

After the class they went to a local LEO range for the shooting portion.

Imagine that, an owner bringing in an instructor and paying for it while also paying his guys to sit in the class.

They rent 1/2 of the building and we rent the other 1/2. 100% of the employees at both businesses have carry permits. To the best of my knowledge 100% of the employees carry everyday and I'm going to guess 75% of the guys have some type of long gun in their truck.

I feel like getting one of those safe place signs that Target has on their doors and post it just to see liberals head explode...

I would like to toss some cash and maybe a couple of flat screen TV's on the front walk of our building but I'm afraid I would get arrested for hunting over bait...

Mark