War College warns military must prep for unrest; IMF warns of economic riots

jeffmem

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

I agree with the comments made at the end of the article. This is more media pot-stirring. I don't recall any ecomonic riots in the late 70's, and never read about any during the Depression.

I agree with the comments made at the end of the article. This is more media pot-stirring. I don't recall any ecomonic riots in the late 70's, and never read about any during the Depression.

It's far from being the same country that it was 85 years ago. Or even 35 years ago, although the economics in the 70's were just hiccups compared to the 30's.. Few have that "uncle in the county" to fall back on. Cities have majority of population, with 3 day food supplies. Whole moral ethos of the nation is different. We absolutely don't have the emergency infrastructure to manage distribution of food and services with our larger population. Etc, etc, etc.

If we have depression like the 30's, well...suffice it to say, "Americans" today aren't going to stand in breadlines, even if there are breadlines.

My guess, 25% unemployment and all bets are off.

- OS

Guest nraforlife
It's far from being the same country that it was 85 years ago. Or even 35 years ago, although the economics in the 70's were just hiccups compared to the 30's.. Few have that "uncle in the county" to fall back on. Cities have majority of population, with 3 day food supplies. Whole moral ethos of the nation is different. We absolutely don't have the emergency infrastructure to manage distribution of food and services with our larger population. Etc, etc, etc.

If we have depression like the 30's, well...suffice it to say, "Americans" today aren't going to stand in breadlines, even if there are breadlines.

My guess, 25% unemployment and all bets are off.

- OS

Tend to agree...

It's far from being the same country that it was 85 years ago.

that is it in a nutshell.

Back then people were tougher and knew how to take care of themselves. People gardened for food. Heck when I was a kid in the 60's I am guessing half the people on our street had gardens. Look around you subdivisions now. How many gardens do you see. I am not talking about a tomatoe plant in a bucket. But actual gardens they could eat off of. How many people here have skinned and cleaned a rabbit or a squirrel? Heck how many people live anywhere they could hunt a rabbit or a squirrel?

The country has become a bunch of soft touches. Expecting to be taken care of and not knowing how to handle it when they are not taken care of.

But not to worry, things will be better near the end of January.

Guest mikedwood
that is it in a nutshell.

Back then people were tougher and knew how to take care of themselves. People gardened for food. Heck when I was a kid in the 60's I am guessing half the people on our street had gardens. Look around you subdivisions now. How many gardens do you see. I am not talking about a tomatoe plant in a bucket. But actual gardens they could eat off of. How many people here have skinned and cleaned a rabbit or a squirrel? Heck how many people live anywhere they could hunt a rabbit or a squirrel?

The country has become a bunch of soft touches. Expecting to be taken care of and not knowing how to handle it when they are not taken care of.

But not to worry, things will be better near the end of January.

How many rabbits can be found today to do said skinning to, or fish. Even when in the country I don't see wildlife like I use to. Maybe I don't look right anymore.

Guest jackdog

ah the joys of living in in the woods. Nice garden plenty of free meat, Turkey, deer rabbit squirrel. No water worries good well. Remember also that back in the thirties people had pride and were not already accustomed to a welfare state.

I see rabbits just about daily, and there are still plenty of tree rats here. And if them rabbits are going at it like, errr, rabbits then I am guessing there are more than I see, LOL

Jackdog has it right about the welfare state of mind. People really ought to be more self sufficient.

I ain't a farmer but I am blessed with woods and what comes with it. I think I could eat if the groceries ran out. Might have to learn to like hickory nuts and such though, yuck. They are a little soapy tasting so I have been told.

... Might have to learn to like hickory nuts and such though, yuck. They are a little soapy tasting so I have been told.

Nah, they're fine.

Trouble is, you expend more energy getting INTO them than you get FROM them.

Sort of like raw oysters...if I have to open them, I never get full.

- OS

I see rabbits in my neighborhood all the time on the outskirts of Murfreesboro and it doesn't take much of a ride into the countryside to find bigger game. I don't currently have a garden but I can grow stuff if necessary. I tend to agree that it's just more media fear mongering though. We have dozens of charity organizations that really are pretty good at distributing food to the masses that can be co-opted by the government if food distribution is necessary.

I see rabbits in my neighborhood all the time on the outskirts of Murfreesboro and it doesn't take much of a ride into the countryside to find bigger game. I don't currently have a garden but I can grow stuff if necessary. I tend to agree that it's just more media fear mongering though. We have dozens of charity organizations that really are pretty good at distributing food to the masses that can be co-opted by the government if food distribution is necessary.

Sure you'll have gas to get into the country, eh?

The 'Boro ain't Memphis.

Or Nashville, Ktown, 'Nooga.

Where's all this food coming from? Charity orgs' coffers are all 'bout empty NOW. You think the gummit has enough powdered milk and corn meal for 100 million people? Are you expecting steak, too?

- OS

ww1646-33.jpg

I was lucky to be able to add a garden alongside my brother's at his place.

I'm with Mike, I can't wait for the end of January. I'm working on my routine for the leaders, district governors, etc.

[ame]

[/ame]
Sure you'll have gas to get into the country, eh?

The 'Boro ain't Memphis.

Or Nashville, Ktown, 'Nooga.

Where's all this food coming from? Charity orgs' coffers are all 'bout empty NOW. You think the gummit has enough powdered milk and corn meal for 100 million people? Are you expecting steak, too?

- OS

I have bicycles too. :tinfoil:

It will come from the food we STOP sending overseas when our own people are about to starve en-mass. Besides, the government knows how to stockpile too.

:tinfoil: "Me have gun, me take from weak liberals what I need"

lol,same here!

You wont see my ass bunkered down in a basement,or /buh\ gardening.

Im loading up my guns,and munitions and commandeering the nearest Golden Gallon!

Ill have plenty of food,fluid,and beer! :P

How many rabbits can be found today to do said skinning to, or fish. Even when in the country I don't see wildlife like I use to. Maybe I don't look right anymore.

I live in the center of OR. I see rabbits and squirrels every day and usually see a few deer a week. I don’t think there is a scarcity of game, as a matter of fact I think the game population is probably the highest its been since right before the Civil War. What is lacking is the ability to harvest that game. Most people wouldn’t know how to kill an animal even if they could find it.

I live in the center of OR. I see rabbits and squirrels every day and usually see a few deer a week. I don’t think there is a scarcity of game, as a matter of fact I think the game population is probably the highest its been since right before the Civil War. What is lacking is the ability to harvest that game. Most people wouldn’t know how to kill an animal even if they could find it.

very true if the economy fell there would be more than a few starve . too many people depending on drive thru's and food they dont know how to gather or kill for themselves .and i too will be the assault rifled down crazy protecting my goods :)