WWTC? Pics of my M&P 40

TGO David

• Administrator

A few weeks ago I visited Hero Gear and was able to trade my Smith & Wesson M&P 9L for a M&P 40 service model. I've been meaning to post some pictures but things have been a bit hectic.

This has become my daily carry in a Comp-Tac MTAC holster during the winter. It's a little bulkier than my Glock 19, but it still hides easily beneath heavier clothing. I figure the .40SW cartridge also has a slightly better ballistic profile for dealing with heavier clothing typical during winter.

Anyway... pics...

SmithWessonMP40-2of4.jpg?t=1229649432

SmithWessonMP40-3of4.jpg?t=1229649671

SmithWessonMP40-4of4.jpg?t=1229649725

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

WWTC = What Would Tungsten Carry. :koolaid:

I only had the one M&P 9mm, which I bought thinking my wife would like and end up owning the M&P 9 JG (Julie Goloski) edition. As it turns out, she wasn't a fan of the M&P series but did like the 3914 so that's what she owns now.

My Glock 19 is, IMO, the perfect 9mm for me and I was lacking a .40SW so I picked up the M&P 40 to fill the gap.

Guest NotDylan

Very nice, I'm thinking about snagging one of the 45 compacts, seems like it would make a great carry piece. How are the M&P triggers compared to Glock triggers?

• Administrator
Very nice, I'm thinking about snagging one of the 45 compacts, seems like it would make a great carry piece. How are the M&P triggers compared to Glock triggers?

The trigger feels similar but the reset is mushy on the M&P whereas it has a nice solid click on the Glock. I prefer the Glock trigger but I've forced myself to adapt to the M&P trigger.

If Smith & Wesson would improve the trigger reset on the M&P family, it would essentially end my pro-Glock arguments. They seem to have addressed all of my other complaints with the M&P as of this current generation. The finish is better and more Glock-like, the mag catch is more solid and this one functioned flawlessly out of the box. I'm very happy with it.

The trigger feels similar but the reset is mushy on the M&P whereas it has a nice solid click on the Glock. I prefer the Glock trigger but I've forced myself to adapt to the M&P trigger.

If Smith & Wesson would improve the trigger reset on the M&P family, it would essentially end my pro-Glock arguments. They seem to have addressed all of my other complaints with the M&P as of this current generation. The finish is better and more Glock-like, the mag catch is more solid and this one functioned flawlessly out of the box. I'm very happy with it.

I kinda thought of it the opposite way. To me it was much better than the Glock. Not near as mushy.

• Administrator
I kinda thought of it the opposite way. To me it was much better than the Glock. Not near as mushy.

If you have an M&P with a definite solid trigger reset, hang on to it and never let it go. It's a factory freak and likely to become a collector item. :)

They are going to take away your :P privileges!

Nice gun. Anything you can do for the trigger, either a trigger job or kit?

Tungsten knows what he is looking for, but from every report I've seen the trigger on the M&P is described as a "close to 1911 as a striker fired trigger can be". That being said there are several gunsmith's offering trigger jobs as well as DIY instructions from one of them.

While I'm no expert I have had two XD's and a G19 all with trigger jobs. The M&P, IMO, was much better OTB than any of them. I can only imagine it being even better with a trigger job.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/index.htm

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/mandpprices.html

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

Tungsten knows what he is looking for, but from every report I've seen the trigger on the M&P is described as a "close to 1911 as a striker fired trigger can be". That being said there are several gunsmith's offering trigger jobs as well as DIY instructions from one of them.

While I'm no expert I have had two XD's and a G19 all with trigger jobs. The M&P, IMO, was much better OTB than any of them. I can only imagine it being even better with a trigger job.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/index.htm

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/mandpprices.html

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

Oh, I know he knows what he is looking for.

I have only dry fired them, but according to Canyn they do shoot very nice. I have liked that gun ever since it came out. Feels good in the hand. Seems very reliable other than the first gen issues with premature magazine releases.....but it appears that has been corrected.

I have thought time and time again for a trigger job for my XD, but I have gotten use to it. I hated it when I first got it a couple of years ago. Since it is my primary carry I have been reluctant to do anything to the trigger.

Have you shot the XDm? I wonder how that one is, I have only played with that one and dry fired it. It feels good too.

Oh, I know he knows what he is looking for.

I have only dry fired them, but according to Canyn they do shoot very nice. I have liked that gun ever since it came out. Feels good in the hand. Seems very reliable other than the first gen issues with premature magazine releases.....but it appears that has been corrected.

I have thought time and time again for a trigger job for my XD, but I have gotten use to it. I hated it when I first got it a couple of years ago. Since it is my primary carry I have been reluctant to do anything to the trigger.

Have you shot the XDm? I wonder how that one is, I have only played with that one and dry fired it. It feels good too.

Not other than dry firing it. My first XD I had Springer do the trigger job on my second I did the Powder River Striker safety job. I highly recommend it for price and ease. http://www.powderriverprecision.com/index.php?p=3&pic_id=82

• Administrator

FWIW, I had a Burwell trigger job done on my last M&P 40 back before Dan was as well known and completely covered up with work as he is now. The resulting trigger feel was crisp and broke cleanly like the proverbial glass rod. It felt awesome.

BUT...

The trigger job made the reset slightly longer, a by-product that Dan was quick to point out would happen because of the way the sear engages in the M&P design, and was even less perceptible than it is with these guns right out of the box. I just had to "learn" where the reset was and program it into muscle memory rather than expect the tactile click that the Glocks have when they reset.

It's just one of those things that you'd have to experience dry firing the two brands side by side. The Glock is definitive and easily perceived. The M&P, not so much. But different folks like different strokes, so I'm sure this is just my personal opinion standing between me falling completely in love with the M&P family.

As it is right now, I'm just flirting really hard with the M&P. :P

FWIW, I had a Burwell trigger job done on my last M&P 40 back before Dan was as well known and completely covered up with work as he is now. The resulting trigger feel was crisp and broke cleanly like the proverbial glass rod. It felt awesome.

BUT...

The trigger job made the reset slightly longer, a by-product that Dan was quick to point out would happen because of the way the sear engages in the M&P design, and was even less perceptible than it is with these guns right out of the box. I just had to "learn" where the reset was and program it into muscle memory rather than expect the tactile click that the Glocks have when they reset.

It's just one of those things that you'd have to experience dry firing the two brands side by side. The Glock is definitive and easily perceived. The M&P, not so much. But different folks like different strokes, so I'm sure this is just my personal opinion standing between me falling completely in love with the M&P family.

As it is right now, I'm just flirting really hard with the M&P. ;)

Slut.:P;):P

I like the click, my XD has the click.

BUT...

As it is right now, I'm just flirting really hard with the M&P. :D

I understand that. I'm more interested in the front end of the trigger pull as opposed to the back end. I never really noticed reset other than travel.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

By way of an update to this thread...

A few hundred rounds and a pair of Warren Tactical dot-on-dot night sights later, and the M&P 40 has quickly become as much of a favorite of mine as my Glock 19 is. It has been 100% reliable out of the box and is a smooth, straight, easily predictable shooter. I was doing rapid double-tap drills with it today and grouping all of my shots within an 8" section at 15 yds. It is easily the smoothest recoiling .40SW that I have ever fired.

I'm very, very pleased with it.

It's just one of those things that you'd have to experience dry firing the two brands side by side. The Glock is definitive and easily perceived. The M&P, not so much.

+1

Was dry-firing a friend's M&P today, and made the exact same observation. The Smith reset was longer, mushier, and less noticable. The pull weight actually felt lighter, but initial slack was a little harder to figure out than my stock G19's two definite stages. Maybe I've just had too much :up: to drink over the years, but the Glock has the best striker-type trigger, IMO.

BTW, my initial guess for what WWTC stood for was Why would Tungsten change?

Edited by deerslayer