glass breaking device?

Sam1

Probably a standard spring loaded glass breaker.

Some, like most on the handle of pocket knives and the like are solid and use brute force. ( Note: if using a solid one, it's easier to press in the corner where the logo has been etched in the glass, it's weaker there)

Others, similar to a machinist center punch are pointed and spring loaded, set the point on the object and the press and it compresses the spring then "fires" the point. Simply easier to use, the machinist version is for accuracy.

• Like 1

Yeah, it looks like a spring loaded punch. Many times windows are harder to break than people realize. Striking the corner is often the best way. Three times in my law enforcement career I stood around swinging a baton several minutes trying to break a window. Two times for medical emergencies and once for a child in a car.

A sharp hard point is needed to break tempered glass. A baseball bat won't work as well as a sharp piece of gravel, or a rock. The corners of the window are the weakest due to stresses from the tempering process and the etched logo is the best spot overall.

A simple center punch is almost ideal.

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Car windows are tough aren’t they? smilielol5.gif

Tough enough to bend an ASP baton. We didn't realize it was bent until we tried to close it. We switched to Manadnocks after that but they bought really short ones. In some ways the short ones were beneficial. You hardly ever used it anyway. I once knew a guy that carried around a few pieces of porcelain from used spark plugs just for breaking windows.

8 minutes ago, Patton said:

Tough enough to bend an ASP baton. We didn't realize it was bent until we tried to close it. We switched to Manadnocks after that but they bought really short ones. In some ways the short ones were beneficial. You hardly ever used it anyway. I once knew a guy that carried around a few pieces of porcelain from used spark plugs just for breaking windows.

We had an Officer one night get on the air and say he didn’t have his slim Jim with him and wanted to know if anyone had anything to open a car. I told him I did; and ask if he had protection with him. Because of all the mic clicks my Sargent later told me that was unnecessary.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:09 AM, DaveTN said:

Our Firemen had Halligan tools; those worked great also. biggrin.gif

We had "Hooligan" tools too, but sometimes, sometimes (when small children were involved) the center punch was good. However, there was nothing like going ape crazy with a haligan!  LOL