My Little Family of Hatchets

I had all of these out today to make some sheaths for my Etsy shop and felt the need to get a group photo.  From left to right is the Husqvarna 13" Hatchet, Gransfors Bruk #410 Mini Hatchet, Wetterlings #115 Hunter Hatchet, Gransfors Bruk #415 Wilderness Hatchet, and Gransfors Bruk #420 Small Forest Axe.  

Although I bought these primarily for making sheaths, they do get some use as well.  It goes without saying that the Gransfors tools are simply works of art, but the prize for the best handle goes to the Wetterlings with it's super grain that is parallel and very tight.  

My favorite for size, weight, and functionality is probably the GB Wilderness Hatchet.  The GB Mini is a super cool little cutting tool that I think, in the right hands, can easily take on many tasks commonly reserved for a knife.  I've owned the Wetterlings the longest and I've given it plenty of use for splitting logs for a campfire, so it will always have a special place in my heart.  Since the bit is ground a little thicker than the GB hatchets, it tends to be my go-to hatchet around the house and when car camping.  

For the money, the Husqvarna is the best bang for your buck since the head is Swedish steel forged by Hultafors Bruk and is fitted to a good quality hickory handle.  I think one would be hard pressed to find a better hatchet with the quality and features it has for less than it's $40 price tag. 

image.jpeg

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 6

I had no idea that a Husqvarna could be had for around $40, about the same price as an Estwing, etc.  I thought they ran into roughly the same price ranges and the GBs, Wetterlings and son on.  I just made a ring belt to carry gear when I am trail walking (I am not doing anything hardcore enough to feel justified to call it 'hiking', just yet) and am about to make a leather and brass ring axe/hatchet/tomahawk carrier for use with the belt and plan to make sheaths for a couple of hatchets and for my CRKT Woods Chogan tomahawk to carry as part of the belt system.  Right now I honestly like the Woods Chogan far better than any hatchet or even small axe I have ever used but I have never owned a really high quality hatchet.  Heck, the one I have right now is a Harbor Freight hatchet.  I have done a lot to it to make it look much nicer as well as putting a good edge on it and it performs much better than I expected but the only thing it has over the Woods Chogan is that the shorter handle makes it easier to carry (but also, in turn, is probably part of the reason the Chogan performs better.)  I might have to look in to one of those Husqvarnas, especially if I get more heavily into hatchet usage.

• Like 1
On July 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM, JAB said:

I had no idea that a Husqvarna could be had for around $40, about the same price as an Estwing, etc.  I thought they ran into roughly the same price ranges and the GBs, Wetterlings and son on.  I just made a ring belt to carry gear when I am trail walking (I am not doing anything hardcore enough to feel justified to call it 'hiking', just yet) and am about to make a leather and brass ring axe/hatchet/tomahawk carrier for use with the belt and plan to make sheaths for a couple of hatchets and for my CRKT Woods Chogan tomahawk to carry as part of the belt system.  Right now I honestly like the Woods Chogan far better than any hatchet or even small axe I have ever used but I have never owned a really high quality hatchet.  Heck, the one I have right now is a Harbor Freight hatchet.  I have done a lot to it to make it look much nicer as well as putting a good edge on it and it performs much better than I expected but the only thing it has over the Woods Chogan is that the shorter handle makes it easier to carry (but also, in turn, is probably part of the reason the Chogan performs better.)  I might have to look in to one of those Husqvarnas, especially if I get more heavily into hatchet usage.

I also have a Marbles 701SB Camp Axe that I forgot to add to the pic.  Both are roughly the same price, but I think the Husqvarna is a much better hatchet for the money.  In fact, it's not even a contest in my mind.  The handle on the Marbles is far inferior, the balance sucks, and I'm virtually certain the steel is lower quality than on the Husqvarna.  I am a huge fan of the Wetterlings and Gransfors hatchets, but for the money I just don't think you can beat that Husqvarna.  If I had to get rid of my hatchets and could only keep one, I think it would be the Wetterlings.  It's large enough for more heavy chopping, but not so large that it becomes burdensome to carry.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 2