Remington Thunderbolt....

I've shot Thunderbolts off and on since I was a kid, never any significant problems.

The original Golden Bullets however were without a doubt the worst overall .22LR ever made. They've improved now to be about as good as Thunderbolts.

I've always found Blazer to be absolutely the best of bulk .22, matter of fact I rate it exactly the same as 40 gr. MiniMags. Seems to be exactly the same loading, just without the copper wash on the bullet. Just wish could still get it as easily and (relatively) affordably as before.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I had never shot Thunderbolts because of all the stories I heard. A few months ago I was in a small local gun shop and the owner asked if I needed any .22, I said always. He said I should try the Thunderbolts, I told him why I wasn't interested and he claims they make different quality depending if they are selling to gun stores or Walmart like places that demand the cheapest price. So I bought a brick of 500 for $38 not cheap but not horrible. I shot it in just about every .22 I own including some that are a little fussy and it shot great. Had one out 500 that took a second strike to fire. I don't know if he was feeding me a line or not but I have since bought a few more bricks.

1 hour ago, Jeb48 said:

.... and he claims they make different quality depending if they are selling to gun stores or Walmart like places that demand the cheapest price. ...

Good reason to never believe anything he says in the future.

- OS

• Like 7

Bass Pro had them yesterday. $9.99 for 100.

Of course I didn't get any. 

I did a little accuracy test several weeks ago, they were the least accurate of the brands I tried. It made me wonder about quality control. 

I used a lever lever gun, didn't want to try them in a semi auto. 

41 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Bass Pro had them yesterday. $9.99 for 100.

Of course I didn't get any. 

I did a little accuracy test several weeks ago, they were the least accurate of the brands I tried. It made me wonder about quality control. 

I used a lever lever gun, didn't want to try them in a semi auto. 

Your lucky to get 2 out of 10 to even sound alike, they are all over the target and tend to choke most semi autos. What quality control? we don't need no stinking quality control. :rofl:

• Like 1

From all the problems people are reporting here, the dealer may be right, I took it with a grain of salt when he said it, but I have shot the full 500 rounds of the first brick in multiple different semi-auto .22 long guns and handguns as well as bolt, lever, pump and revolver with no problems accept the one dud that happened in a lever gun and it fired on the second try. Wanted to check it out complete before committing to more. I made no attempt to see how accurate it was (not very accurate myself) but they all sound the same when shot and didn't cause any problems in any of the guns.  I know when some inexpensive things that are manufactured they pull a few samples every so often and when they find a problem they dump x number of the product before the sample without testing and then start looking for the problem. If ammo dealers did this I could see them shipping the dumps to the cheap outlets and the good stuff to those willing to pay more money. Or I could have been lucky on the first brick and the rest that I bought will be crap :x:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my answer today, I was just lucky on the first brick. Open a fresh brick today and had 3 duds in the first 50-60 rounds. Oh well it is just plinking ammo, I will get through the 2000 rounds, but will chose when I'm shooting it when I can take care of duds.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, Jeb48 said:

I know when some inexpensive things that are manufactured they pull a few samples every so often and when they find a problem they dump x number of the product before the sample without testing and then start looking for the problem. If ammo dealers did this I could see them shipping the dumps to the cheap outlets and the good stuff to those willing to pay more money. Or I could have been lucky on the first brick and the rest that I bought will be crap :x:

9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Well I got my answer today, I was just lucky on the first brick. Open a fresh brick today and had 3 duds in the first 50-60 rounds. Oh well it is just plinking ammo, I will get through the 2000 rounds, but will chose when I'm shooting it when I can take care of duds.

Well at least you have some ammo to hold you over until you can score something better.

Good luck:cheers: