Its Baaaa..ck - R51 2d Gen

graycrait

Wow, No love for Remington?

They made a mistake and they did what was right. They offered a full refund to anyone that wanted it.

I hope to see them get more into the handgun market and wish them the best of luck.

As far as the 700 and 870… both of those own the markets they are in.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Wow, No love for Remington?

They made a mistake and they did what was right. They offered a full refund to anyone that wanted it.

I hope to see them get more into the handgun market and wish them the best of luck.

As far as the 700 and 870… both of those own the markets they are in.

No love, not because they screwed up the first one but because the second one isn't much if any better.

They would still have a crappy gun, but I think they would have taken a lot less flack for it if it was just a modern pistol not a remake of a classic. That is what bothers me the most about it. It would be like colt taking the m1908 hammerless and making it a polymer frame 9mm. Even if it was flawless, it's still wrong.

They took the 1st version debuted it before it was ready. They recalled them and refunded money, not bad. But the second version is almost the same thing, quality isn't where it should be.

As far as the 870 and 700, a 2016 production vs a 1970s production is almost as different as a pre-64 vs post-64 Winchester model 70 or 94 or a Winchester 1912 vs 1300. Remington's quality simply isn't where it used to be, and I blame that on them being owned by a large corporation conglomerate with bean counters.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

No love, not because they screwed up the first one but because the second one isn't much if any better.

They would still have a crappy gun, but I think they would have taken a lot less flack for it if it was just a modern pistol not a remake of a classic. That is what bothers me the most about it. It would be like colt taking the m1908 hammerless and making it a polymer frame 9mm. Even if it was flawless, it's still wrong.

They took the 1st version debuted it before it was ready. They recalled them and refunded money, not bad. But the second version is almost the same thing, quality isn't where it should be.

As far as the 870 and 700, a 2016 production vs a 1970s production is almost as different as a pre-64 vs post-64 Winchester model 70 or 94 or a Winchester 1912 vs 1300. Remington's quality simply isn't where it used to be, and I blame that on them being owned by a large corporation conglomerate with bean counters.

Everything about this post is spot on. Many interwebnet +1s to you, sir.

Edited by musicman
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, nightrunner said:

7 hours ago, musicman said:

Everything about this post is spot on. Many interwebnet +1s to you, sir.

I disagree. From the 70’s to now I have owned several copies of Remington 700’s, 870, and 1100’s.

In previous years Remington put out a lot more high gloss blues with walnut stocks. But they still make those today. Have you ever had a 870 American Classic WingMaster in your hands? They have added the budget line they didn’t have before. An 870 Express pales in comparison. However, that’s what more people want. It may not have the quality appearance of a Wingmaster but it functions as well and can stand up to torture of being used in squad cars by many Police Departments.  

I also have owned many 700’s. Currently I have a 2008 model VLS heavy barrel in .308. No high gloss bluing or walnut stock, but it’s a tack driver. I haven’t Bubbed the trigger so I’m sure it will only fire when I pull the trigger; just like the other 5 million 700’s out there. After all it is the most popular bolt action rifle in history, and usually the first discussed when someone wants a bolt action.

After selling off all my shotguns years ago I decided to get back into it again. Last weekend I bought a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic. I haven’t shot it yet, but the quality appears to be as good if not better than anything I have had in the past.

I’m a fan of all the American gun manufacturers Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Remington, DPMS, Savage, etc. And I wish them all the best, because when they shut off the importation of guns; they are all we will have. That doesn’t worry me because I don’t buy foreign guns, as long as our manufactures here stay strong. I wish them all the best, and I support them, so we do have quality choices.

I would never buy the R51; it’s not in the proper caliber yet. But I also would never carry a gun in my pocket. So it doesn’t matter to me, but it’s good to see that option.

I’m getting ready to buy  another 308 AR. Looks like it will be another DPMS, because as much as I love Smith and Wesson and Remington they are not listening to their customers. (Unless you count DPMS as Remington) Great to be able to do that isn’t it? biggrin.gif

700s simply don't have the fit and finish they used to. It's not that they aren't blued anymore, but the bolts aren't nearly as smooth and triggers aren't as good.

870 Expresses are not used by LE/MIL. They use Police Magnums, which have more metal and less polymer and MIM components. Same with the 700 Police.

I have owned both Express and Wingmaster models of 870. The express is not as smooth when running the action. And my newer Wingmaster is not the same quality as my dads 60s era gun.

Most on this board know you love to support American manufacturers without fault, no problem with that. Me personally, I buy quality, no matter where it's made. If American manufacturers want my money, make something of comparable quality or better. Sorry but I don't believe firearm imports from our allies will end anytime soon.

Ruger might be worth looking at for a .308 AR as well.

The only gun to ever cut me was a brand new 870 I had for two weeks last year.  The bolt release had a razor edge and sliced my finger open the first time I racked it.  I hit it with a file, but remain disappointed.  Poor casting of the receiver saddened me as well.  The last two Remington rifles I've touched, a 2 yr old 700 in 7mm mag and a new 770 in 270 both have sticky chambers, requiring beating the bolt open.  The 770 actually had a better trigger than the 700.  I have factory polymer pistols with cleaner, lighter triggers than that 700 did.  I'm just not a fan.  I'm glad some are, because all the factory workers need someone to buy their stuff.  

• Like 1

I guess I'm an odd ball - I like the way it looks. Must have watched too much Star Trek growing up.

I really wanted one, but picked up a P938 after the initial reviews were less than stellar. I really ended up liking the Sig, and honestly between that gun and all the other single stack 9mms that have come out recently, I'm not too interested in the relaunch.

5 hours ago, nightrunner said:

Ruger might be worth looking at for a .308 AR as well.

I haven’t got to see one in person yet, but I can’t see why they are $500 higher than the DPMS. I know they are a piston gun, I don’t have anything against that, but I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got one in. And because of YOU guys, I really wanted to hate it.

But I can't. Dang, it feels really good in the hand, sights are excellent, even has a forward edge to use on a table if you HAVE to, and the trigger is surprisingly good. Like the weight of it, too. Feels like a "real" gun.

You pansy trolls need to suck it up, buttercups. :biglol:

• Like 2

I shot one of the Gen 2 R51's at the range last week. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing ground shattering either. It functioned flawlessly and seemed decently accurate. The two main drawbacks were the takedown, which is horrendous, and how badly the grip safety under the beaver tail pinched my hand. It felt like really bad hammer bite from a 1911. After 50 rounds my hand was red and raw. A couple of other guys at the range reported the same issue as well, so it wasn't just me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Good to hear.  The only reason I might want one is for the full length grip safety for concealed carry.  I've been in enough jacked up situations that I appreciate the idea of the full length grip safety, if it works and is reliable. I like 1911s and Springfield XDs but find them both a little iffy when everything goes "wrong." But the idea of a "better" grip safety still appeals to me if the rest of the pistol is reliable as well.  
  • 1 month later...

Did not have the first version.  Held one about a month ago and the grip safety was 'iffy' at that time.  However, my father-in-law got one and hence another chance to play with it.  First off it was a bitch to reassemble.  Maybe with a little practice I will learn how to hold my mouth just right and it will go easier.  However.... to the range.  A couple of times it failed to chamber a round after sticking the mag in.  Once chambered, ran reliably and smoothly with a mix of bullet types/reloads and factory rounds.  Locked back on empty mag, and shot very well at reasonable SD range with accuracy.  No problems with grip safety activation this time.  I don't like it as well as my Shield.  Little big for a pocket gun.  May be all right as a carry gun with decent holster.  Certainly smooth lines and dehorned.  I have read where after fired extensively it seems very dependable.  I am not in a hurry to go buy one, but I do know where I can get one to play with occasionally.  After a few hundred rounds will report back.

• Like 1