Storing ammo ?

Storing ammo.

I am running out of room in my gun safe. I do have a metal locker I was using as a temp safe until I bought a gun safe.

My question is would you feel safe with only your ammo in a metal locker? It has 3 locks down the side and is bolted to the floor and wall from the insides.

I know ammo should be treated as dangerous as a gun in the wrong hands but would a thief take time to get just ammo?

Am I worrying too much and just use the locker? Or keep it stacked in the Gun safe.

No its not fire proof but its all I have at the moment.

Maybe I should buy a new fire proof safe just for ammo?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'd be just fine with the locker you've described.

As far as ammo and a fire goes, I'm no expert, but I've seen people throw ammo directly into a fire without any serious reaction. The ammo made a "pop" noise, but that was about it. Again, I'm not an expert. Maybe someone with real experience can chime in.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Back in the dark ages when I was in ROTC, they were just coming out with MREs so we still got to eat C rations. You could get in more trouble tossing the peanut butter or jelly cans in the fire than you would tossing the blanks so you didn't have to clean your weapon so hard.

We would go "non tactical" every now and then on the FTXs and there was always some bozo who thought the fire was a trash barrel. Those things would go off like bombs.

(for Jung, H Co, 2/278th ACR TNNG, last year of college, 2/17th FA Korea, B Co, 319th MI BN (ABN) and HHC 37th Eng, (CBT ABN)

Fear the combat communicator (25C)

Hijack over.

Guest gcrookston
That is a lot of .22LR there Gcrookston!:rolleyes:

If you look a little closer at the boxes you'll see it say's Winchester, 7.62 147 gr. I ran into a deal on FMJ in a military production overrun and not enough cans to hold it in. When you strip the 200 round boxes/boxes of their packaging you can stuff 600 rounds loose in a .30 cal can, I just flat ran out of cans... or something. Maybe.

That would be 2 cans that have 7.62, all the rest are .22, ya that's it. That's the ticket. Me and my beautiful wife, Morgan Fairchild loaded all the rest of the cans in .22. Yep, that was us. The labeling of 5.56 or .300 Winmag is just re-used. These were refilled with .22 by my beautiful wife Morgan Fairchild and myself while watching reruns of Saturday night live. Ya, that's that's the ticket. :P

No .22 ammunition was harmed in the making the making of this photograph.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Thanks for everyones input.

I guess I wasnt clear but I was only worried about security not so much Fire.

But thanks all the same I got the message;)

Just keep your ammo in a different room than you guns. My guns are in a safe. The ammo is in a closet. If I didn't have a safe, and had little ninos running around, the guns would be in a closet in a further room and the ammo separated by the furthest distance and up high, out of their reach.

I don't see ammo as high on a burglar's list. What guffus steals bullets?

"dude, I got 840 rounds in a sardine can of 7.62x54r to cop for a rock?" -- hum?

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
But the FD will probably be PO'ed

I'll try not to burn my house down with all my stuff, promise. Though Joe has the camper trailer behind his store, I doubt he want's me and the Mrs living there...

Anyone that's ever been around someone dumb enough to throw a bullet into a campfire (yes, I saw that one once), understands that the danger is not the projectile, but the brass. The Bullet is heavier and the brass tends to fly when burned off, sometimes in several pieces. It might be an interesting (though expensive), experiment to see what an ammo can like the one in the forground would do in a blaze (800 rounds of SS109 linked).

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Gcrookston: Nice collection! I think we have the same hardwood floors lol. Whats the risk of moisture/humidity on ammo in a can? Dessicant a must?

I've lived in Colorado (Dry), Greensboro, San Antonio, Murfreesboro (Moderate), Shreveport, Jackson MS, Houston (Moist), and have never had an issue with Moisture and Ammo. I've got some Portuguese 8x57 I've had for 20 years in all those places still in it's wooden crate that I shot some over Christmas and it functioned just fine. Keep it away from Leather items such as ammo pouches (I picked up some WWII German ball a few years back in pouches and the rounds looked like chia-pets).

As long as the rubber gasket is in place on the can, I wouldn't worry about it. Try opening a can after it's sealed at 56' elevation @ 5420'... These old ammo cans are pretty stout (or was it going from Denver to Houston? 30' above sea level) -- Dont remember, but I had a time opening cans on one of those moves

zombies.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw a while back where you can put Silica Gel into emptied tea bags to make your own dessicant packets for storing ammo. It works quite well and is way cheaper than buying new bags. $8 at Hobby Lobby for enough silica gel to make probably 200 packets. Hobby Lobby's product does include the gels that change color when they've absorbed their capacity of water.

Guest gcrookston
Saw a while back where you can put Silica Gel into emptied tea bags to make your own dessicant packets for storing ammo. It works quite well and is way cheaper than buying new bags. $8 at Hobby Lobby for enough silica gel to make probably 200 packets. Hobby Lobby's product does include the gels that change color when they've absorbed their capacity of water.

I while back I bought a couple of missle wing aluminum crates. I've got about 10/ 2# bags of desicant and no frigging idea what to do with them, though the asbestos packing material went to the land fill ;)