Which Mauser?

Hey all, I need some help. I am thinking about buying a Mauser. I was thinking about a VZ 24 from aim surplus or a RC K98 from Widener's. I want to use the gun mainly to plink around with. I would someday like to add a nice K98 to my collection, but the rising costs on the K98 make me want to get one now! Any suggestions? The VZ 24 from aim is $289, and the 98 from Widener's is $429. The pictures from Widener's are garbage, and it makes me wonder how good of shape the rifle is in, and it doesn't mention the condition of the bore. Suggestions?

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000874&dir=700|701|1381

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=637&name=Czechoslavakian+vz.+24+8mm+Mauser+Rifle

I really like my 1909. I have looked at others and picked them up at shows, but nothing else comes close to it for me.

If you want a collector, get one sooner rather than later. Mixmaster and ruined guns are still cheap, for a shooter, and always will be.

I've pretty much made up my mind on the K98 I think. My buddy picked up RC K98 that was all matching (not electro pencil) for 400 bucks a few years ago. Now if you saw a rifle in that shape and matching I am sure the owner would be asking double what he paid. This makes me want to go ahead and pick up the K98. I just hope the bore is good. I might wait to another one comes around though. I am disappointed in the pictures Widener's posted, I know they are busy but it seems like you could take the time to post clearer pics.

yes, its Argentine but made in berlin for the argy government.

My advice is to tour the gunshows within an hour or so drive. Then you can LOOK at them and see the bore yourself. In between shows, educate yourself on what to look for.

Speaking of an Argentine mauser. I just finished up a 1909 today it was messed up by bubba a long time ago. She is back to oringinal configuration and she turned out great. I cant wait to send some lead down range with her.

If I were wanting one to shoot, I'd buy the VZ24. I have one, and it is a fine quality rifle. If I were wanting one representing Mauser history, I'd want an original German K98. If I wanted the best I could fine in the military gunmaker's art, I'd hold out for a 1909 Argentine. It just doesn't get any better.

Speaking of an Argentine mauser. I just finished up a 1909 today it was messed up by bubba a long time ago. She is back to oringinal configuration and she turned out great. I cant wait to send some lead down range with her.

sweet, hope it shoots like a new one for you.

--------------

K 98 shoots best of the whole mauser family? That is a pretty big claim. They are nice guns, but better than what?? The ones I see most often have been assembled from a sack of random parts and their bores look like .... they went thru a world war or something. I find it a bit hard to believe those shoot better than a LNIB other model preserved from outside the wartime used guns. I have not had the chance to shoot a LNIB 98 to compare it to the others, so its possible, but finding one like that.... they cost what, over 10k each?

Edited by Jonnin

Those are both good options but the Swedish Mausers are far and away the best ones built IMO. Have never seen an Argentine close up so I cant speak to those but Swedish Mausers look like they were put together by fine gunsmiths not an armory.

• Like 1

Alright. Which one do I have?

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00198.JPG

Sorry about the hijack, but I thought mine was an M98. It says "Fabrica De Armas" "La Coruna 1944" .

On the side of the receiver is "Cal 7.92", but is chambered in 8 mm(.323) and has "P" and "R" inside squares.

Is mine representative of either of those for sale? I see some differences.

I love my Mauser. It is the best shooting rifle I own, possibly with the exception of my M1A. I wouldn't sell it for

a grand.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Mauser last Friday. Mostly matching. The only part that doesn't match is one piece of the bolt. It's got a little pitting on the underside of the receiver, but it's not deep, nor a big deal to me. Also, it has an EXCELLENT bore. I'm not even sure if it has ever even had a round through it. The Mauser action is sooo sweet. I will try to get some pictures up this weekend.

That's a GEW...too long to be a Kar.

its a 1909. Its not quite a gew, but they are similar, predates it and different caliber.

Got the Mauser last Friday. Mostly matching. The only part that doesn't match is one piece of the bolt. It's got a little pitting on the underside of the receiver, but it's not deep, nor a big deal to me. Also, it has an EXCELLENT bore. I'm not even sure if it has ever even had a round through it. The Mauser action is sooo sweet. I will try to get some pictures up this weekend.

Sweet, hope it shoots as good as it sounds!

Edited by Jonnin
Pictures!! Not very good pictures, but i will work on it.
[url="http://s1340.beta.photobucket.com/user/cz1990/media/K98/003.jpg.html#/user/cz1990/media/K98/008.jpg.html?&_suid=1352096133577017809317638672178"]http://s1340.beta.photobucket.com/user/cz1990/media/K98/003.jpg.html#/user/cz1990/media/K98/008.jpg.html?&_suid=1352096133577017809317638672178[/url]