Gun Rights, Can we make a difference for Tennessee?

DaveTN

A bill has been presented (TN HB 1855) by Rep. Vance Dennis and Sen. Stacey Campfield that would allow all law abiding citizens in the state to carry.
http://legiscan.com/TN/text/HB1885/id/933578/Tennessee-2013-HB1885-Draft.pdf

I think the members of this forum and all pro-gun people in the state should act on this and not let it go quietly into the night.

I’m thinking a letter writing campaign would be a good start. I know email is easier, but physical letters coming into the office will get more attention if we can muster the numbers. IMO.

What do you guys think? Should we pick a time frame and try to mail them near the same time?

This is a big deal; I think we should act.

Thoughts?

Agreed.  Let's make a plan.  Gonna need better social media than TGO and participation.

I can put this on some other forums, but this is pretty much a Tennessee issue. The most impact will come from the letters of constituents. I don’t do much with Face book but I’m sure some here could get that started. Maybe ask for support on the legislators Facebook page?

I can put this on some other forums, but this is pretty much a Tennessee issue. The most impact will come from the letters of constituents. I don’t do much with Face book but I’m sure some here could get that started. Maybe ask for support on the legislators Facebook page?

Yeah.  I mean, I'll mail my rep and sen, but it'll take a lot more than just a few of us.  Why isn't there like, a metric crap-ton of posts in this thread already?  Regardless of the futility of it, we should give a proper showing.

Edited by TMF

I'm in for it and do we write just our officials in our district or do we write maybe the ones in surrounding districts also?

I’m writing a personal letter to my state representative and to my state senator, pointing out I am a constituent; I will probably email the others. But I’m still trying to decide if I want to spend over $60 to send a letter to them all. Mailing your legislators should be free. biggrin.gif

It's worth making our feelings knows but I don't see anything of substance happening from this...not with this current Republican dominated legislature. Hell; we can't even get them to fix the glaring problems with Ramsey's "2013 parking lot bill"  that even those who pushed it down our throats acknowledge are problems.

The only way this kind of change will pass is when Democrats win back control and the Republicans have to again start acting like people who believe in the constitution again so that they can regain power. It would help if we could Maggartize a few more Republicans but I don't see that happening with enough of them anytime soon meaning the triumvirate of evil (Haslam, Ramsey and Harwell) will remain in control.

Edited by RobertNashville

I’m writing a personal letter to my state representative and to my state senator, pointing out I am a constituent; I will probably email the others. But I’m still trying to decide if I want to spend over $60 to send a letter to them all. Mailing your legislators should be free. biggrin.gif

It actually is for me.  I mail through an APO.  Send me your traffic and addresses.  I'll spend an evening hand jamming.

It's not going to happen...not with this current Republican dominated legislature. Hell...we can't even get them to fix the glaring problems with Ramsey's "2013 parking lot bill"  that most even acknowledge exist.

The only way this kind of bill will pass is when Democrats win back control and the Republicans have to again start acting like people who believe in the constitution again so that they can regain power. It would help if we could Maggartize a few more Republicans but I don't see that happening with enough of them anytime soon meaning the triumvirate of evil (Haslam, Ramsey and Harwell) will remain in control.

Ugh, this is the defeatist attitude I'm talking about.  It ain't gonna happen because people give up before they even try.  No, you're probably right.  it ain't gonna happen.  But giving a showing at least indicates that we're out there and there is support to bring it up again next year.  That's how these things get done.  But surely, by not trying you acheive the outcome that you predicted.  At least if you try and fail you can say that you tried.  By not trying to forfeit your ability to include yourself in the failure or acheivement of victory.  You are just a sideliner.

It's not going to happen...

Of course it isn’t Robert, you have told us that before. But humor those of us that don’t roll over and play dead. There are other threads where you can post all about that, please don’t try to drag this one down.

Recognizing the truth is not being "defeatist"; it's simply understanding the truth of the matter. This legislature is NOT going to pass the kind of legislation you want. As I said above, It's worth making our feelings known but don't expect to see anything of substance happening from this...not with this current Republican dominated legislature

I suggest our efforts would be far better spent working (not just letter writing and not even just contributing $) but actually WORKING to get rid of the politicians that we need to get rid of so that getting good bills that follow the constitution and/or restore rights that have been infringed won't be so hard to do.

When was the last time here any of you went door to door or spent time on the telephone or manned a booth at an event on behalf of a candidate you believed in? It's been a while for me but I'm willing to get back into the ground game...anyone else want to join me?

Edited by RobertNashville

Recognizing the truth is not being "defeatist"; it's simply understanding the truth of the matter. This legislature is NOT going to pass the kind of legislation you want. As I said above, It's worth making our feelings known but don't see anything of substance happening from this...not with this current Republican dominated legislature

I suggest our efforts would be far better spent working (not just letter writing and not even just contributing $) but actually WORKING to get rid of the politicians that we need to get rid of so that getting good bills that follow the constitution and/or restore rights that have been infringed won't be so hard to do.

When was the last time here any of you went door to door or spend time on the telephone for a candidate you believed in? It's been a while for me but I'm willing to get back into the ground game...anyone else want to join me?

What is the holy hell does that have to do with this. A bill has been submitted. Support it or don't. You act like supporting this legislation and going out to support a candidate are mutually exclusive. This is a website for GUN OWNERS. Sorry that everyone doesn't support your republican candidates that are all part of the ruling class, two party system that exists to do nothing other than expand their role and line their pockets whilst throwing a bone now and then to us plebeians. This actually works towards expanding gun rights. I don't see why coming here just to poo poo and say it isn't worth it is helpful in any way. In fact, I would accuse you if actively trying to sabotage the expansion of guns rights with your subversive behavior. I don't care how much you give to the TFA or NRA, or how much you support one of our wretched politicians; the proof is right there in your post where you stand.

Just blows my mind that, when there is soooooo much evidence that a tidal wave of right to carry laws have been passed in the past few decades there are still people like you who are like "f*** it, it's too hard."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the holy hell does that have to do with this. A bill has been submitted. Support it or don't. You act like supporting this legislation and going out to support a candidate are mutually exclusive. This is a website for GUN OWNERS. Sorry that everyone doesn't support your republican candidates that are all part of the ruling class, two party system that exists to do nothing other than expand their role and line their pockets whilst throwing a bone now and then to us plebeians. This actually works towards expanding gun rights. I don't see why coming here just to poo poo and say it isn't worth it is helpful in any way. In fact, I would accuse you if actively trying to sabotage the expansion of guns rights with your subversive behavior. I don't care how much you give to the TFA or NRA, or how much you support one of our wretched politicians; the proof is right there in your post where you stand.

Just blows my mind that, when there is soooooo much evidence that a tidal wave of right to carry laws have been passed in the past few decades there are still people like you who are like "f*** it, it's too hard."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do support it...I also know it's not going to happen with this legislature.  If you think I'm wrong about that, fine...it still won't change the outcome.  I also said "it's worth making our feelings known" but I guessed you missed that.

In fact, it's pretty obvious you missed most of what I said based on your comment that I'm supporting republican candidates that are all part of the ruling class when I just said that THEY ARE THE PROBLEM that need to be eliminated.

but don't expect to see anything of substance happening from this...not with this current Republican dominated legislature

Robert, you have me blocked so I can’t respond to you in a PM. We all get it; you say this can’t happen. That is not what this thread is about. I would appreciate you stop taking a dump in this thread; here is one you can post your wealth of information in…
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/75767-hb-1885-davetn-look-inside/

When was the last time here any of you went door to door or spent time on the telephone or manned a booth at an event on behalf of a candidate you believed in? It's been a while for me but I'm willing to get back into the ground game...anyone else want to join me?

No, I want this bill passed and I don’t want to wait years to do it; it’s on the table now. This isn’t about your ramblings about politicians or your thoughts on whether or not you think this can pass. I think I speak for most of us when I say “we don’t care”.
I know you want the bill passed; I'd like it passed too and I've already talked to my SS (and a couple that aren't mine that at least know me well enough to take my calls) but unless something has changed since I last looked it still has no senate sponsor and it's been relegated to the justice committee...I also doubt it's had a fiscal note attached yet...you can call that "dumping on it" all you want but unless my information is wrong that just how it is.

If you have better information please feel free to share it. Edited by RobertNashville

Let's see,

1. this bill would allow 95% of TN folks to carry a loaded handgun, long gun, knife of any length, or an impact weapon without a permit

2. yet we can't carry in our own tax supported buildings, parks, and schools, even with paying for a permit to prove we are upstanding citizens.

I don't see how it's realistic to expect such freedom would possibly be granted by 1. as long as we have prohibitions as in 2.

But of course I've gone through the motions of pinging my representative factotums.

- OS

Sponsors

Rep Vance Dennis, Sen Stacey Campfield

Yuup...but I thought it was his bill and I didn't think you could introduce a bill and be its sponsor at the same time (but I may be wrong on that). In any case, it doesn't change that this thing is dead in committee...Ramsey is not going to let it see the light of day.

A "summer study committee" is likely it's next stop if it gets that far which means we'll never see it again and we'll have to start over next year. Edited by RobertNashville