How I looked like a fool laser bore sighting my AR

Tobashadow

Picked up a SightMark ultra shot to replace my junk Bushnell and since range time is rare right now I used one of those fake shells with a laser in it to try and get it close last night. I set it up and shot the dot on a piece of paper on a tree across the yard and turned on the sight and me and my son spent the next half a hour trying to figure out why we only seen one dot thru the sight. Because?? It was already on the dot and they were both red and the same size. Doh! Edited by Tobashadow
  • Like 5

What are the odds of it being that right on? Wow.

I recently put on an UTG side mounted scope rail on my AK and added a cheap 4x scope on that. I noted that the rail does not sit perfectly centered over the dust cover or barrel. Since I had already been through something similar with one of Mike.357's .22 rifles where the built into receiver dovetail rail was not aligned with the barrel, and we couldn't compensate enough with his scope to get it on target, I had my doubts my deal would work either.

Figgered since rail sat a bit shaded to left side, indeed lined up best with left side of front fixed sight guard, figgered I'd have to crank windage way over to right, if indeed there was enough travel adjustment in the scope to compensate at all.

First shot at 50 yards, 2 or 3 inches to the RIGHT. I actually had to come back a relatively small bit to LEFT with adjustment, and then all good. Go figger.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1141786" timestamp="1398223625"]What are the odds of it being that right on? Wow. [/quote] Yep, a few months back I went to zero a new 1-4x optic on my AR. It was dead nuts on at 25. I thought I was doing something wrong. Took it out to 200m to confirm and ended up adjusting it 1 MOAish. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1141803" timestamp="1398225247"]Be aware that some optical coatings actually keep you from seeing the dot. I have a Millet red dot that I cannot see my green laser through. I suspect a red dot might also be affected.[/quote] That's what took the extra time was verifying and cross verifying for that issue to the point of me holding the bore sight and looking thru the sight and waving it around to make sure it wasn't being filtered.