The New Law and Carrying

An LGS here is saying that to carry an automatic knife after the July 1 date, one must have a valid Tennessee CCW permit.  I have not heard this and it is not in the Bill itself.  I think it is the owner trying to filter customers.  Has anyone here encountered this?

An LGS here is saying that to carry an automatic knife after the July 1 date, one must have a valid Tennessee CCW permit.  I have not heard this and it is not in the Bill itself.  I think it is the owner trying to filter customers.  Has anyone here encountered this?

Ask them where one gets this CCW permit as TN only issues a HCP. 

• Like 1

I was typing quickly and CCW was the first thing that came to mind.  Sorry for the 'ignorance'

TN permit covers only handguns carried on the person, hence the name Handgun Carry Permit. Does not apply to any other firearm, weapon, or device, before or after the new knife carry law (or more properly, the new lack of knife carry law).

On July 1 anyone, even a convicted felon,  may carry any knife.

Also on July 1, anyone not prohibited from owning firearms may possess any loaded firearm in private vehicle.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks.  The knife salesman told me it came from the owner.  I just couldn't figure why the owner would put that out there.

Perhaps he doesn't understand the law.   Perhaps he's thinking of another state that does issue a CCW permit... I think KY and MS issue one, but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.  Or maybe he's just not anal about the nomenclature like we are.  :)

From reading both the old statute and the new revision several times, what I'm getting is that there basically is no knife law in Tennessee anymore.  Which is how it should be.  We don't have pipe wrench laws, and a knife isn't any different.  :up:

The only real possible exceptions I can find are the definition of "weapon" in respect to carrying weapons in schools, courthouses, places like that. 

The only real possible exceptions I can find are the definition of "weapon" in respect to carrying weapons in schools, courthouses, places like that. 

Knives are still mentioned specifically in the school statute and if charged, you are going armed just by virtue of having it on you -- unless you can get to a higher TN court to possibly have it overturned and to set some future case law.

Oh yeah, and it will be a separate felony charge to use a switchblade in a crime. I'm telling all my criminal friends to be sure and use a bowie when they stick up the quickie marts to avoid possibility of that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Knives are still mentioned specifically in the school statute and if charged, you are going armed just by virtue of having it on you -- unless you can get to a higher TN court to possibly have it overturned and to set some future case law.

Cool., thanks.  I didn't read through the school weapons part of TCA, frankly because I'm way, way out of school, don't have kids, and can't think of a scenario where I'm gonna be on any sort of school property in the foreseeable future.   And reading statutory language  makes my head hurt, so if I don't need to read it, I don't.   :pleased:

Edited by dcloudy777

I was typing quickly and CCW was the first thing that came to mind. Sorry for the 'ignorance'

Just now saw this post. Apologies if I came across as an arse. I guess being anal and being an arse kinda go hand in hand. Or would that be arse in arse? ;)

Just now saw this post. Apologies if I came across as an arse. I guess being anal and being an arse kinda go hand in hand. Or would that be arse in arse? ;)

No problem. I appreciate the information guys.