TBI Background check denied

jstraubr

I've just moved back home after having lived in TX for the past 16 years. With rifle season opening last weekend, I decided to go and purchase a new rifle to hunt with. After finding the gun I wanted and filling out the background check, it came back denied. I was in utter shock and frustrated as to why this was happening. I do have a class B misdemeanor, but its for a check that bounced and I neglected to take care of in 2005. That has long since been taken care of, and I received a deferred adjudication on the charge. The store owner said that sometimes the TBI will randomly pick buyers to go to a supervisor for approval and that this might be the case, to give it a day or so and more than likely they would reverse the denial. The store is closed Sun. & Mon. So this morning I called expecting to hear good news. To the contrary, I was told that they had not reversed the denial and that I was going to have to appeal the denial. I've purchased several firearms in TX, without incident, and am just blown away as to why doing so in TN is being so problematic. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experience, and what the outcome was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Dave's on point. TICS has a high rate of denial. Just need to file the appeal and possibly contact the court where your misdemeanor was adjudicated for records of its final dispensation. That is usually the piece of info that's missing and holding up the works. That thread Dave linked has all that info in detail. 

• Like 1
Hopefully this link will help you find an answer. https://www.tn.gov/tbi/article/firearm-background-checks-faqs
Do you have a new TN DL yet? How long have you been a resident back in TN? Best of luck. I hope your get it worked out soon.

I've been here since 10/10, switched over my DL 7 days later (had to for work) and did a fingerprint with TBI to transfer my hazmat on CDL. Started the appeal process today, heres hoping they don't drag it out the full 15 days.

5 hours ago, jstraubr said:

curious if anyone else has had similar experience, and what the outcome was.

Nope, because none of us are communist hippies!

Actually my HCP was denied because it came back because they said I spent time in Pendleton military prison (or some military prison, can't remember which one) I was like WTF?  That must've been one hell of a drunk because I don't remember that.  They got it straightened out though.

Paperwork mishaps happen all the time, I wouldn't stress.

• Like 2

I hear about this all the time in Tennessee. Dozens of transactions and nothing. I move up to Kentucky and I can expect about a third of mine to be delayed. They are always given the go ahead the next day, but for some silly reason I get delayed up here often enough. Every purchase at Bud's has been delayed. To the point I won't drive the hour over there anymore since it always results in a trip back the next day.

• Like 1
I hear about this all the time in Tennessee. Dozens of transactions and nothing. I move up to Kentucky and I can expect about a third of mine to be delayed. They are always given the go ahead the next day, but for some silly reason I get delayed up here often enough. Every purchase at Bud's has been delayed. To the point I won't drive the hour over there anymore since it always results in a trip back the next day.

I used buds when I lived in TX, never had a problem.

6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dave's on point. TICS has a high rate of denial. Just need to file the appeal and possibly contact the court where your misdemeanor was adjudicated for records of its final dispensation. That is usually the piece of info that's missing and holding up the works. That thread Dave linked has all that info in detail. 

This was exactly what happened to me! 

• Like 2

So after doing some research I came across this piece written by a law firm. It's just a longer and more technical explanation that Chucktshoes gave. Maybe its time to start talking to our state legislators and creating some petitions to get TN back on the NCIS checks!
http://www.harrislawoffice.com/content/areas_of_practice/tennessee_firearms/tennessee_purchase_and_sale.htm