Kentuck Long Rifle Kit

TomUT07

Been looking to get a Kentucky long rifle kit?  Any one ever attempt a build at one of these? 

If so, have any suggestions for ones I should buy, from which store, website? 

One with percussion cap, rather than flint lock? 

Not much experience with it, but really been interested in getting one, such pretty looking guns, be a nice addition to hang on the wall if not anything else. 

If you've never heard of Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee you may want to check them out.  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_192

If your not comfortable ordering online it looks like about a 2 hour drive from your location.  Now  for some advice, get there early as this place is part museum and part retail so you may find yourself there longer than you think.  Here is your warning, set a budget before you walk in the door as I've always walked out with stuff I never thought I wanted or needed but now I have them.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've built 3 rifles, 2 pistols and a couple of BP revolvers and none of them have been a lot of trouble.  I've also got a CVA double shotgun sitting around here somewhere that I've had for years and haven't started yet.  By far, best kit was a Thompson Center Hawkin but it was many years ago. It turned out too pretty to take out in the woods  :D so I built a Traditions kit to hunt with. The CVA kits were ok but required a lot more work than the others. If you want to venture out a little more then you might check out Track of the Wolf at the link below.

I'm not an expert but I might be able to answer some of your questions. I'm just over here in Drummonds.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx 

I forgot about another place, it's called the Possibleshop. Never ordered a kit from them but quite a bit of other stuff. Can't question their customer service. I sent too much for shipping and when I got my order there was a check in there for the difference. 

http://www.possibleshop.com/

Edited by xsubsailor
19 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I've built 3 rifles, 2 pistols and a couple of BP revolvers and none of them have been a lot of trouble.  I've also got a CVA double shotgun sitting around here somewhere that I've had for years and haven't started yet.  By far, best kit was a Thompson Center Hawkin but it was many years ago. It turned out too pretty to take out in the woods  :D so I built a Traditions kit to hunt with. The CVA kits were ok but required a lot more work than the others. If you want to venture out a little more then you might check out Track of the Wolf at the link below.

I'm not an expert but I might be able to answer some of your questions. I'm just over here in Drummonds.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx 

I forgot about another place, it's called the Possibleshop. Never ordered a kit from them but quite a bit of other stuff. Can't question their customer service. I sent too much for shipping and when I got my order there was a check in there for the difference. 

http://www.possibleshop.com/

Hey, if you ever decide to sell that shotgun, gimme a holler. Been looking for one for a while.

I built a percussion rifle kit about 45 years ago. Long ago forgot the brand. Seems like I bought a couple of files and chisels.   Overall not really difficult just need to go slow. I got in a hurry at the end and the barrel finish didn't turn out real good but I learned to ignore that. Last time I shot it it still shoots good

I’ve been contemplating building one of these ever since I ran across it a couple years ago. Since it would probably be a wall hanger, I really would prefer a flintlock to make it more realistic.

BLUNDERBUSS KIT 
By Traditions

Specifications: 
•  Overall length when completed will be approximately 29 ¼”
•  Barrel length is 16 ¼”
•  The smoothe bore is flared to 2 ¼” at the muzzle
•  54 cal. percussion
•  Select hardwood unfinished stock
•  Brass trigger guard (single trigger)
•  Unfinished barrel
•  Approximately 8 lbs fully assembled.

blunderbuss.jpgadult image