Leaving a car/truck engine running

tercel89

12 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I remembered an incident from when I was a kid. A police officer left his cruiser running to step into a restaurant and grab some coffee. A teen kid took it on a joy ride that I think was about 2 hours. lol Man the sheriff was not happy.

Most cars that I come across left unattended and running are police cars outside restaurants, stores, etc. I just learned from this thread that's illegal though :shrug:

I left my truck running all the time when I had my dog with me when it was either too hot or too cold to leave it off with the windows cracked. He was with me 90% of the time. The doors were locked and I don't think anyone ever considered breaking in with a 90lb dog sitting there. My truck was the only thing he was protective in. You could rob my house, but don't try to get in his truck without me in it :)

15 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Most cars that I come across left unattended and running are police cars outside restaurants, stores, etc. I just learned from this thread that's illegal though :shrug:

As with most other things, wearing a badge makes you exempt I suppose.:shrug:

As with most other things, wearing a badge makes you exempt I suppose.default_shrug.gif

I think most first responders leave them running in case they get a urgent call. I sure wouldn't want to need a officer and he be stuck at another location with a dead battery or some other preventable mechanical problem. Leaving the car running eliminates starting problems during the shift.

Plus, i wonder if all the electronics in the cars recycle with each start? I assume they have a designated battery but i dont know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1