How many of you carry a spare magazine?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have a spare mag for my 1911 platform carry gun, also a spare for my bug. Chances are I'll never need to use them but I don't want to gamble on that.

If I carried my XD-9 I wouldn't be as concerned about it, plus those double stack mags are really wide by comparison.

Always one spare 7rd for the Sig P239... since it only holds 7+1 (.357sig)

Always at least one spare Wilson 8rd for the 1911... and I used to always have 3-4 cheap 7rd factory mags loaded with ball in the vehicle.

Rarely carry spares for the XDs, but when I do, I carry 2.

When I used to carry a Beretta 92F, I usually carried 2 spare 15rd mags.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greentimber

If the situation is such that you feel the need to carry a gun, is it not obvious that you should have a spare mag, too?

Ask yourself; is it inconceivable that I could have a problem with a magazine? Is it inconceivable that my mag release could get bumped during carry so that my mag falls out of the gun while I'm drawing/covering/shooting, etc.?

I've had it happen during IDPA. What are you going to do when it happens in a fight, bend over and pick the mag up off the ground while bullets are inbound?

Go to the range and do this drill:

Part 1- With a fully loaded gun fire one round then press the mag release allowing the mag to fall to the ground. Next, bend over, pick up the mag, reload and continue shooting.

Part 2- With a fully loaded gun fire one round then press the mag release allowing the mag to fall to the ground. Next, reload with the spare mag on your belt while moving to cover/off the line of attack.

Which do you think is a better option?

Guest GlocKingTN

I think I will go with option 2 myself. Im gonna go get a mag holster this weekend. Whats your price for the one mag holster for the G22? Or at least a guess on it!

• 1 year later...
Guest jdavis

I sometimes carry a spare but hardly ever most gunfights consist of two or three shots anyway if he shoots at me twice and misses it will consist of three.:D

The formal training that I have had, the instructors have all said to carry at least one reload (one mag or one speedloader). You never know if you're going to have a stovepipe or a double feed and you need to clear it. You could also have a bad mag. With a revolver, is 5 or 6 shots going to be enough for multiple attackers? It's better to be prepared.

Guest pjblurton

I always have two spare mags in the truck. My carry weapon holds 15. I hope that if TSHTF 15 buys me enough time to get back to the truck and turn the other 28 loose!

Guest eyebedam

If Im not carrying a bug I will normally carry a extra mag but since I got my lcp I gont see a reason to carry a extra 1. I figure if the P99 & the LCP isnt enough then Im in serious trouble.

I carry a Glock 22 almost all the time with one spare mag. = 31 rds. that is alot more ammo than I would expect to need, but then I hope I don't ever need as much as one. When I can't carry the Glock I carry an S&W 649 Bodyguard with a Kel-Tec P32 ready for a Bronx reload. The only time you can have too much ammo is when you are swimming or on fire. :shrug:

Guest Brian@GunDepot

I only carry one Mag in the gun.

If I ever need more than 16 rounds, I'll probably never make it to a reload. My thoughts on it anyway.