One year weigh in. 157lbs lost

Guest aBRG2far

Dude, seriously...and not in a man-love kinda way...you look great!!!

I put on 25lbs being out of work 5 months with a back injury. I have lost 17 of it, plus need to loose the 50 I should have lost anyway.

Keep on trucking my man.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates?

Here's my update.

1/5/09 I was up to around 182-184, Today, I am down to 167, right around 15lbs. I have gone to a BMI of 26.88 which is in the overweight category for somebody that is 5'9". My BMI is now in the Healthy Weight category, with a 24.6. My goal is down to 160 and then not worry about weight, but build muscle.

Diet. I have not changed what I am eating other than cutting out a lot of bread and sugar like in sweets. I have used the fitday.com free website to track my calories, my weight, etc. I have been eating what I normally would, but cut down on the servings, actually eating a "serving" of food instead of multiple servings. By doing that, I have cut my calories way down, you would be surprised how many calories you eat, even while eating "healthy". I, for the most part, don't eat until I am full, I eat until I am satisfied. I also don't go out to eat as much, resturant food comes in multiple portions. I also have started excersising more. I was running some, but have slowed off of that some due to a knee issue. I ran tonight, went 2.4 miles with my new patella knee brace, knee feels great. But I have been working out with weight bands, free weights, pushups and excercises that concentrate on my core. My wife picked up the Biggest Loser excercise book, has a bunch of routines that you can do without going to a gym, or having a lot of equipment. It will kick your a$$.

I have also gone down about 3 knotches in my belt. I was at the point that my 34" gun belt, I was on the last hole with my IWB CTAC in. Now I have one more knotch, and I am going to have to drill a new hole or buy a new belt.

I am very strict on what I eat during the week, then friday night, I will eat and drink what I want. Saturday is a little relaxed on the foods I eat, then Sunday, maybe, maybe not, depends on whats going on. Today, for lunch, I had Pepparoni Pizza from Memphis Pizza Cafe, and a beer...yummy. Some local ale brewed here in Memphis. It was deeelicious!

So, the fitday has been great, I like to track stuff, you can put in foods to track calories, you can create foods, I eat Lean Cuisines' for lunch, they are cheap, healthy, and have the calories that I need during the week. There are many that are dang good. Sweet and sour chicken, is my favorite, I can and do eat it several times a week. But you can make your own foods to track. It takes a little long at first to set them up, but I have a good base of food that I eat, and it takes no time to fill in my daily calorie chart.

Congrats! You are inspirational.

About a year and a half ago I was told by my doctor (and close friend) that if I didn't lose weight, I was going to get diabetes.

I dropped 25 pounds. I needed to drop 10 more, but I have gained 5, so I'm back up to needing to lose about 15 pounds.

I've cut back on carbs, sweets, fast food, etc. Working two jobs, it's hard to find time to exercise. I got a Wii fit for Christmas. It's not a replacement for the gym, but right now it's all I can do. I've gotten out of the habit of doing that in the last two weeks or so, and I appreciate your post. It was the kick inthe pants I needed.

Congrats, BRG. You are an inspiration to us all. Been hiking back in the Smokies lately?

I've gone from 180 to 193 in the last 8-9 months, and feel like crap. Everybody says they can't tell a difference, but I sure can. I am severely pissed off about my CTAC being almost unwearable with a couple of my pants now. At 175, I feel like I could go 10 rounds with Oscar de la Hoya. Ran a 5K the other day, and was about 3 minutes slower than a year ago. That should be a motivator, but was more of a morale-buster. Gotta change my bad habits and re-establish a routine, but damn, work makes it hard to do so. I think I am going to hit the bag in a few minutes, but boy I'm hungry.

Guest pjblurton

It's funny this post just poped back up. I was doing a search for it to see if BRG had any updates!

I wanted to add my own update and thank BRG for showing me it could be done. Dec. 1, 2008 I was 230lbs (5' 8"). I made the decision then to loose 30 lbs in 3 months. Well the 3 month mark is 13 days away and I've just hit the 30lb mark! Nearly two weeks early! I thought 30lbs in 3 months was a lofty goal and I feel like I blew it out of the water. I am stoaked!

I have been tracking my food intake and exercise on an Excel spreadsheet and it really helps keep me honest. We just had a new gym open at work Jan 12th and I have been every day it was open since. I've worked my way up to 30min on the eliptical @ 8.5mph and then strength training on the machines for another 40. It has really turbocharged my metabolism. Plus I keep the caloric intake between 1600 - 1800 per day.

I was never worried too much about my appearance, which probably explains why I got up to 230, but the difference in how I feel is imeasurable. I get out and play with the dogs now just for fun and chase my wife around the house all the time:dirty:.

Thanks again, BRG and let us know hows it goin'.

It's funny this post just poped back up. I was doing a search for it to see if BRG had any updates!

I wanted to add my own update and thank BRG for showing me it could be done. Dec. 1, 2008 I was 230lbs (5' 8"). I made the decision then to loose 30 lbs in 3 months. Well the 3 month mark is 13 days away and I've just hit the 30lb mark! Nearly two weeks early! I thought 30lbs in 3 months was a lofty goal and I feel like I blew it out of the water. I am stoaked!

I have been tracking my food intake and exercise on an Excel spreadsheet and it really helps keep me honest. We just had a new gym open at work Jan 12th and I have been every day it was open since. I've worked my way up to 30min on the eliptical @ 8.5mph and then strength training on the machines for another 40. It has really turbocharged my metabolism. Plus I keep the caloric intake between 1600 - 1800 per day.

I was never worried too much about my appearance, which probably explains why I got up to 230, but the difference in how I feel is imeasurable. I get out and play with the dogs now just for fun and chase my wife around the house all the time:dirty:.

Thanks again, BRG and let us know hows it goin'.

Awesome!

Keeping track will keep you honest and aware. You might think you did good that day,but if you are keeping up with you can actually see it, no getting around it.

Guest Hyaloid

Wonderful that your own story can inspire so many, isn't it BRG?

Congrats to all involved!

I am losing weight myself. I run 2 miles in the morning, walk/jog 2miles in the evening and lift free weights. I do have been doing this M-F, and this is my 4th week. I started with just diet in November of last year, but as everyone knows, it really does have to be diet and exercise to get weight off and keep it off.

I started at 233, and I am at 207 this morning.

Fitday.com is fantastic. I have been tracking my stuff on www.thedailyplate.com , same principle for that.

I went to mt PCP today, my resting heart rate has always been in the mid to low 50's. I tested my BP and HR this past week, and my HR was 45 bpm. I kept track of it at home, and it was running 42-46 bpm, and this morning when I awoke my HR was 37. I was concerned that it was that low, and my doctor has ordered some bloodwork and an EKG to be sure, but thinks that it is likely just my healthy heart getting healthier. Let's hope he's right. :lol:

Anywho, great job everyone... keep up the great work!

Guest aBRG2far

Thanks everyone! I've had computer problems and am just getting them sorted out so I apologize for not updating you. I'm currently at 253lbs making my total weight loss 170lbs since Jan'08. I went hiking a couple weeks ago when we we blessed with several 70* days in Feb. I went up the Little Greenbriar in the Nat Park to the old school and Walker Sisters cabin then made a loop to Wears Cove rd and back to Metcalf Bottoms picnic area for 6mi. That wasn't enough so the next day I went on a solo overnite backpack from Abrams Creek to Cane Creek. I learned I have to get my pack weight down. 4mi in with 45lbs was a workout. The next morning I finshed out the trail for 3mi without a pack, broke camp and hiked 4mi out so I had a total of 17mi in three days 8 of which carrying 45lbs.

2553201000075955299S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm hoping to hit the 200lb lost mark by early summer.

Awesome. The wife an I have been puttin' on the pounds for a couple of years now, so it's time to do something about it. Have a dinner and picnic with some old work buddies in a couple of weeks, but after that "Jenny Craig" and work out routine, no excuses. We both need to drop about 25lbs and if we're paying for the food we'll stick to the plan. BRG you'll also be some inspiration, Congrats.

• 2 months later...
Guest tadams

I haven't been on fitday.com since a few days after I joined. I didn't really start doing anything, at all, with the exception of less sugar and very few fructose or sugared sodas.

About 6 weeks ago, my wife and I finally started making use of our gym membership. We've been doing some treadmill and light machine exercises. I've gone up in weights on a couple of them, but most importantly, I'm trying to get my body used to moving again and my lungs to remember what oxygen feels like.

Because of other injuries which also happened a couple months back, I've been seeing a chiropractor during this time. This is definitely helping me increase my flexibility which helps at the gym.

I've also been practicing eating smaller portions, more times a day (5-6) and less total carbs/ fat/ calories than ever before in my life, except as a young boy. I drink more water than ever... EVER. I mix it up with different "drop-in" powder mixes, too. (only those with splenda, aspartame tears me up)

It all seems to be working some. I have lost approximately 30lbs since starting this whole regimen 6 weeks ago. I'm far from perfect, but I do already notice muscle groups firming a little and I've moved my belt over 1-2 slots, pending what I'm wearing/ carrying.

I feel like I'm at a point where I need to stay really focused and really lock into this whole thing better and REALLY do it all "by the book." I'm pretty good, but far from perfect. :P My halo is a little crooked, actually. LOL

aBRG2far, you really have helped me want to do this for myself. Your other thread regarding hiking has been an incentive for me as well. I used to love to hike and just be out in the woods, somewhere... anywhere! I'm really wanting to get back to that and I'm even really looking forward to fitting in some vehicles and riding some British bikes that I wouldn't be able to do as comfortably, or with as much enthusiasm, as I would with less weight on me and be more physically capable.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest pjblurton

Thanks for the heads up on FitDay.com! I just joined today.

Awesome website. It seems to track just about everything!!!!

I have lost 42 lbs since December 1st and have about 18 more to go. I want to hit that by my birthday in July so I really have to monitor everything I eat more closely.

I had my Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) tested at the gym and they gave me a customized diet plan with the EXACT number of calories I need to consume per day (to reach my goal) and a complete breakdown of grams carbs, fat, protien, fiber, yada, yada, yada...

FitDay.com makes it really easy to track that kinda stuff and even better, it's FREE!

• 4 months later...

I hope everyone understands the importance of such an undertaking. My father built up such weight for 5'8" frame: 350lbs. He had finally reached happiness in his life. Paid off his decent-sized house, paid off his Lexus, paid off $10,000 of his wife's $15, 000 credit card debt. He was having fun tricking out a Bushmaster, polishing/restoring his old guns, playing with a new keyboard and a metal detector among many other things. His story is almost identical to aBRG2far. They said he had a heart problem. They installed a Titanium valve. It leaked. Replaced it with a pig valve. Never woke up from the coma after surgery. They called the death congestive heart failure.

He ate himself to death. His whole chest was getting so dense that the fat crushed his heart from all directions. He was only 57 and was set up for a much better life. His mother outlived him, but she cried for most of the last 6 years of her life.

To our heavier TGO members, it would be a great loss to leave your family sooner than planned.