One year weigh in. 157lbs lost

Guest aBRG2far

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearty and sincere congratulations !!! :poop:

Soooo........eating less, eating better, and exercising can help you lose weight ? Who knew ? :D:D

Seriously, great job and I would do well to adopt some of your new good habits. Godspeed on the last 55.

Keep us posted.

Guest aBRG2far
What are you gonna do with those pants...?

By the way, dumb question, how tall are you?

I'm waaaaay behind you, need to drop about 80 myself.

Awesome job man!!!!

I've got three big tubs of clothes that don't fit me anymore. I was going to give them to a young man that had gastric bypass and was running out of clothes that fit him but he quit coming to water aerobics so my wife is going to have a yard sale in the spring.

I'm 5'10". My starting BMI was 61 its now 38.17. My body fat percentage is 28.6%, it was 33% last September.

WOW man...I'm really not sure what to say.

I need to loose in the neighborhood of 175lbs myself...I have been considering the surgery, but just not really wanting to right now.

Anyway.....I have got some thinking to do...

None of my business....but how, if any, have you modified alcohol intake...if there was any even that is.

Guest aBRG2far

I'm lucky I never smoked or was a drinker. I drove over the road and its a horrible life, one I don't want to go back too. I was borderline diabetic and hypertension. I had sleep apnea and spent half my night sleeping upright in a recliner due to nightly headaches, if I didn't get up I would get migraines with nausea. I had to get up to pee about 3x a nite and had erectile dysfunction. My feet and legs stayed swollen and quit growing hair on them. I took a long time to heal if I got hurt. Back pain and sciatic problems made me quit work. I had acid reflux and bowel problems every few days. When I would lay down and be still I could hear the swishing sound of my blood being pumped in my ears. I had heart "flutters" weekly. I had no energy and the walking across the room would leave me gasping for air. My Mom offered to pay for me to have gastric bypass but after checking into it I reasoned it was more forced behavior modification and if one did the diet it forced you into one would lose weight without having the surgery. Now I'm not putting the surgery down, it has saved many lives but its dangerous and the long term effects are hard on the body. First you have to survive the surgery. After nutrition is compromised since one who has it done must be on a high protein diet. That doesn't leave a lot of room for bulky fruits, veg and grains the body also needs. One person I spoke with told my he was only allowed fish and chicken, he hated fish so he only had chicken. To me he was halfway to failing because the surgery isn't full proof. The stomach pouch can be stretched almost to full size if overeating isn't curbed. So my feeling are if you're bed-fast, unable to exercise and death is out in the hall then gastric is your last resort. Even then there has to be someone enabling you to keep that lifestyle since you can't go out to shop, cook or take care of yourself. That brings me to something really important. Get away from people that are not wanting you to succeed. I know it may sound nuts but they're out there. It maybe a spouse, parent, sibling or friend, hell they may not even know they're doing it or realize it. Even something innocent like making a birthday cake maybe an act of kindness but its akin to giving heroin to a junkie. Food is like a drug for some of us but we can't quit, we have no choice but to relapse three times aday. So all you can do is manage it.

Guest db99wj

Wow. THAT is a great story. Congratulations and I would say good luck for the next 55, but Sir, I see you need no luck, you have the determination and the strength to do it. So my friend, go do it and keep us posted!!!

Edited by db99wj
Guest tadams

aBRG2far, I can wholeheartedly say that you are an amazing individual without ever having met you. I don't fully know how to express myself, I'm so astonished. I've, now, read over the thread a couple times and re-read your responses and the amazement still hasn't worn off.

You, sir, have accomplished an awesome feat!;):clap::D

:stir:

I had never heard about fitday.com until your post. I have already been there and will start using it immediately. My wife and I have to travel so much with family at both ends of the state, it's often hard just to get ourselves and the dogs loaded, much less paperwork and diet regimen materials 450 miles each way. That site can be accessed from anywhere with a pooter and net.

It was mentioned by someone else earlier, but I want to confirm to you that you are, indeed, an inspiration to me. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'll hang your pictures on my fridge; with nothing but love and admiration for the accomplishment you have made. You have every right to be proud of what you have done. I, also, would like to let you know that I am extremely thankful for you having posted this thread on this very day. You have given me real-world incentive.

Coincidentally, my wife and I joined a gym earlier yesterday(the 7th) and did some body-break-in treadmill sweating. I believe I am in much better shape than you started from, but my body is more tired than it's ever been. I am in the worst shape of my life. I have always been a larger-than-most individual, but I have the frame to carry it and used to be healthy enough that it made sense, for me. At one time, I was nearly a brick wall of muscle. (5'11", size 58 shoulders, could carry around the back end of a small car just like the big dudes in "Stongest man".) After years of having the mass turn into flubber, while in a seated position, the best I do is remember to catch a "Strongest Man" competition on TV.

Again, THANK YOU for having the cajones to post this. You have inspired me. My best wishes on your continued success.

Guest tadams

Oh, and I just remembered...

I used to do step aerobics during those same aforementioned years. I felt like a weinee, seeing those bairly 90lb women school me on going side to side and up and down in about a 20 sq ft space for an hour at a time. You will be amazed at what it will do for you, though. It enhances coordination and stamina better than ballet dancing. ( believe it or not, I've done some of that, too)

It also improves overall motor function and control all while helping you find your center of balance. In truth, it's nowhere near as easy as those 90lb women make it out to be.

Keep your shoelaces tight and keep your focus. The biggest danger in step is a miss-step. An ankle or knee injury can cause a serious setback in your exercise.

This is a great thread. I've read the whole thing through 3 or 4 times now.

aBRG2far, I agree 100% with you about the gastric bypass. For some, it's the only option. For most, though, from what I can see, it's an easier way out than pushing back from the dinner table and hopping on a treadmill.

You're also right about some folks waking up dead from the surgery.

Anyway, kudos again. You've got a great testimonial and you should be proud of your hard work and willpower.

Congrats. I lost right at 100 lbs several years back.I did it by cutting out fried foods and sweets and eating lots of fruit,veggies and white meat.I also walked for an hour a day.Sadly I have gained back about half what I lost.I said I never would but time and circumstances (I quit dipping) creep up on you.I still do the walking daily but I need to get back to the strict diet.Stick with it.

Guest db99wj

Oh, for those that are trying to lose weight, get in shape. The Fitday.com site he mentioned is great and free for the basic. The basic has a tone of stuff you can do and watch and track. It has many foods to track your calorie intake, but if doesn't have it, you can create a custom food. I am trying to lose about 10-15lbs and moreso get in shape. I have been running, while not as much lately, and am doing other things, from weight straps for strenght training, to Wii boxing (very aerobic, don't laugh until you try it, your arms will be burning, your stomach will feel it, you will sweat and your heart rate will be up) We are going to get Wii fit as soon as we can find it, we are eating better, we are cutting out most fast food. My wife and I both are doing this. I have lost 7lbs so far this year. That will slow down some but I'm working on it!

Guys, I'm a piker at the weight thing compared to aBRG2far, and to some of the goals several of you have expressed.

But, I packed on a pretty quick 45 extra lbs about 7 years ago when I quit smoking, even though I thought I was being careful about substituting extra food for the cigs. Thought I was being wise by snacking on fruit. Right.

I dropped it about as quick as I put it on, mostly low carbing. And I've kept it off, regaining my previously svelte 15-20 lbs lifetime overweight average. :)

I'm far from a low-carb Nazi, but still swing that way, probably average 50 or less daily, very rarely 100 or more. My point is not to necessarily advocate low-carb (although there are beau coup arguments for it, and more and more studies show its effectiveness and long term health benefits) but to make this point:

if you think of how you eat as a "diet", you will always fail.

You must incorporate whatever eating habits that maintain your desired weight and health not as some kind of temporary thing, but as your normal Way Of Eating. As aBRG2far has suggested, this requires psychological and philosophical changes as much as the physical ones.

- OS

Guest pjblurton

- OS

Well said! I have had to change my perception of food over the last 5 weeks. I never told anyone at work that I was trying to drop some weight and this week one of the ladies in the office had some nice things to say about my appearance. WOW Talk about motivation!:)

I still refuse to call it a diet, more of a lifestyle change than anything.

aBRG2far put it perfectly by saying food is fuel, nothing more, nothing less.

Guest db99wj

"Going on a Diet" has a negative connotation to me. It means you are eating stuff you don't normally eat, don't like, are "trendy diet foods" and something you won't do.

Life style change is key. Eating at Mcdonalds and getting a double quarterpounder with cheese, supersize fries couple of times a week is horrible, stop going. Bring your lunch to work, don't go out if you can help it. That way, you have what you planned and you don't let it get out of hand. Too easy to over-eat when eating out. For one the food is usually, high fat, high calorie, high carbs, two, the portion size is way out what they need to be, three, too easy to eat more of what you don't usually eat.

Guest tadams
... but to make this point:

You must incorporate whatever eating habits that maintain your desired weight and health not as some kind of temporary thing, but as your normal Way Of Eating. As aBRG2far has suggested, this requires psychological and philosophical changes as much as the physical ones.

...aBRG2far put it perfectly by saying food is fuel, nothing more, nothing less.

Therein is my largest mental difficulty. I simply enjoy food. Although I, of course, have never noticed this fact... I've even been told by a friend before (innocently) that it was nice to eat with me at a particular restaurant because he knew I really enjoyed the food served there. He's Italian. They're like that, ya know? :):shrug:

pjblurton is right, by reminding us of what aBRG2far said (daggone, ya'll got some long stage names I have to type out).... FUEL. Nothing more, nothing less. I've never tried that approach before. Maybe if I allowed myself one cheat a week and it was something I really personally enjoyed, then that concept just might work for me. I can reason with it. I can justify the math. It may even make it more "real" for me. I guess we'll just have to see.