Summertime carry

Since it's cold here in TN, I thought I'd try thinking warm thoughts. :popcorn:

Actually, those in West TN know the summer heat can be pretty brutal, especially in late July and early August.

So...how do you carry (IWB and OWB) during those hot summer months? I will be carrying OWB for the most part. I figure I'd wear a t-shirt untucked with a Columbia fishing type of shirt over it.

Got any ideas?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

Same way I do in the winter time. I can hide a full-size XD just fine under a t-shirt in my Tucker IWB. Though I most often pocket carry my P3AT these days.

Tonight on the First 48, Memphis TN. One man found laying on top of eight brass casings of .380 ammo. Detectives can't figure out what he was doing with a .380 in this part of town, and the neighborhood isn't talking...

I'll carry my Glock OWB under my t-shirt. I'm looking for a decent IWB. I'd rather people not see it, but I'd rather be armed in a higher caliber that I have available in the coming months. I'll still have my Bersa as a BUG, though.

Guest ryanjd2006
Glock 19 in a CTAC under an untucked polo type shirt.

I have a glock 17 and i just got my permit this week so i am trying to learn what I can about holsters. . . what is a CTAC?

I have a glock 17 and i just got my permit this week so i am trying to learn what I can about holsters. . . what is a CTAC?

One of the popular holsters made by Comp-Tac.com.

(the MTAC is the other most popular model).

They have leather backing and kydex shell for the gun.

The Crossbreed (crossbreedholsters.com) is similar concept, and also equally popular, if not more so.

I like all leather and I and several other members here use dmbullardleather.com (see my avatar)

There are MANY fine all leather holster makers; the trick is finding one you like that you can actually GET without a 3-6 month wait or longer.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Merlin1

Forgive me if this is a stupid question buy I carry in an MTAC too. How the heck could you tuck a shirt around it? Won't the belt clips prevent this?

Guest bkelm18
Forgive me if this is a stupid question buy I carry in an MTAC too. How the heck could you tuck a shirt around it? Won't the belt clips prevent this?

Tuck the shirt in front of the kydex holster but behind the belt clips. The only thing that should show are the belt clips.

Guest HVAC Worker

I work in attics,fixing cac units and I went with the HighNoon OWB for me.I know it will be hard to conceal but when you are parts of town that are section 8 you dont care,plus you can always have a BUG.

Tuck the shirt in front of the kydex holster but behind the belt clips. The only thing that should show are the belt clips.

Unless you get the V clips, which are velcro, you do have to tape down or sew (preferred method) the other side of the velcro on the inside of your belt. When you do this, there is nothing that shows. I love the v clips and will only do this in the future.

Cargo shorts or khaki pants when i have to say go to church with a snub in a pocket holster. I generally carry the hammerless snub airweight year round. Wintertime the snub goes in an outer coat pocket. It is very handy to get to when walking across a parking lot or pumping gas...very comforting to have your hand on a snub when the surroundings aren't great and you can do it with a pocket holster and no one knows.

Guest TN_Mike

I live in Shelby County. In the heat of summer (Which really isn't hot nor humid compared to Mobile Alabama, where we moved from in 2005) I carry the same way I do in the winter. OWB, Blackhawk SERPA holster on my right hip. The only difference is, in the Spring/Summer months, I open carry. There is no need to conceal in Tennessee. 100% legal to open carry and I do.

I'm not the only one either, open carry is fairly common in Shelby County. No one has ever freaked out, made any bad comments not asked me to leave. It is just normal here.

Guest ryanjd2006
One of the popular holsters made by Comp-Tac.com.

(the MTAC is the other most popular model).

They have leather backing and kydex shell for the gun.

The Crossbreed (crossbreedholsters.com) is similar concept, and also equally popular, if not more so.

I like all leather and I and several other members here use dmbullardleather.com (see my avatar)

There are MANY fine all leather holster makers; the trick is finding one you like that you can actually GET without a 3-6 month wait or longer.

- OS

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Guest ryanjd2006
I live in Shelby County. In the heat of summer (Which really isn't hot nor humid compared to Mobile Alabama, where we moved from in 2005) I carry the same way I do in the winter. OWB, Blackhawk SERPA holster on my right hip. The only difference is, in the Spring/Summer months, I open carry. There is no need to conceal in Tennessee. 100% legal to open carry and I do.

I'm not the only one either, open carry is fairly common in Shelby County. No one has ever freaked out, made any bad comments not asked me to leave. It is just normal here.

Thats the exact holster I own and use now. I just felt alone in the world not carrying concealed. But now that I know others in the Memphis area carry the same way as well I will continue to do so! thanks man!

Wish I saw others in Nashville open carrying. I feel all alone here in the State Capitol. :wave:

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

When it's over 90 degrees, I'll break out the Glock 19 and Clipdraw. Maybe drop a 34rounder or two in a cargo pocket if we're visiting a "culturally rich" area.