Decision time any thoughts XDM or Glock

Guest edge3343

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

For years I was a 1911 person.. I bought a Glock 22.. it took a little work with to get used to it.. but now it is starting to feel very natural to me. I also have a S&W 1076, to which I really like the feel of! I wish that the person that is working on the trigger on it would get it done and back to me.. fore that will be my machine for carry.

Of the two you mentioned, I would say Glock. The XD has a large, over heavy top side with a high bore axis. I found it more difficult on follow up shots because of it. The Glock is more balanced, with a lower bore axis.

Of the ones you didn't mention, SR9 all the way.

Funny, just had this same comparison conversation (offline) for my own upcoming purchase. I'm a 9mm fan. Going with the lighter G26 and all the Federal Hyda-shocks I can find. Glock dependability!

I LOVE my 26. Some advice: don't go adding grip extensions and what not, you DO NOT need your pinky on the gun to shoot well with it at all. Without extensions, this thing is pie to conceal. Also, as far as ammo goes: Here

Hydrashocks are generally not considered good performers nowadays because they have a tendency to "clog" up with clothing and not expand properly. My choice is some Double Tap, Speer, Cor Bon, 120something grain +P or heavier. You want the +P in the shorter barrel to help velocity. Double Tap ammo uses Speer GD bullets, and it is some well made stuff.

The barrel of the 26 is longer than the XD9sc too. Yet another downside to the XD series, shorter barrels in the same length frame. Not to mention made in Croatia. Fine shootin weapons, but they are just Croatian Glock knock offs with a "warm and fuzzy" grip safety which is redundant and unnecessary IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like them too, just not as much as a Glock.

Edited by RoDan
XD all the way:up:

:up:.

Whether you decide to get the 9mm or .40 cal is a personal preference. Personally, i would go with the 9mm because 1)higher capacity, 2)cheaper ammunition, 3)I have a few firearm that fires 9mm and it would be easy for me to consolidate, 4)i put my trust in the 9mm to get the job done.

I would buy what fits your hand best. The glocks do not fit my hand good, and I don't shoot them accurately. Goto your local shop and 'try on' a few of each and you'll know what fits/feels good and can judge from there.

You can't go wrong with either xd or glock, but buying what feels better will no doubt make you shoot better.

+1

Guest c_o_jones

I would suggest you try the Smith and Wesson M&P as well, it definitely wins for ergos over glock, the changeable backstraps can give you a perfect fit.

Another thing I really like is that the grip angle is closer to a 1911 than a Luger. :up:

I would suggest you try the Smith and Wesson M&P as well, it definitely wins for ergos over glock, the changeable backstraps can give you a perfect fit.

Another thing I really like is that the grip angle is closer to a 1911 than a Luger. B)

I agree, I love the way the M&P feels. I'm a Glock guy when it comes to my "needs to go bang every time" self defense gun. No, it is not the most comfortable, not the most visually appealing or even the best shooting, but it is the best OVERALL for me. It does work though. Between the XD, Glock and M&P for ergos, the M&P wins hands down by far. I LOVE the M&P grip, it just feels really well shaped for my hand, and points naturally for me also. I would not buy an XD or a Glock without first trying the M&P out, or at the very least, holding one.

Guest The Highlander

I just went through the same decision process. I own several Glocks in all frame sizes and have trusted my life to them for 10+ years. The XDm (I like the 9mm) feels great, a little better than a standard, non-Robarized Glock. I have small hands. BUT, for carry, the XDm is heavier empty than my G31 is loaded. Enough said.

I strongly recommend you feel both, and throw in the M&P, and the Ruger SR9 as well.

For what it is worth, I bought the SR9 black version, got a Viridian Green Laser for it, and a Blackhawk! holster for the combo. All for the out the door price of the XDm.

For a range/competition gun, I'd have probably gone with the XDm.

By the way, the SR9 for me feels and points like a 1911. That could be a strong selling point for anyone that likes the 1911's as well.

As for 9mm vs. .40. The 9 has been just fine for well over 100 years. And it is much better now than ever. Shot placement comes first, then the penetration/power/frontal size argument

As for 9mm vs. .40. The 9 has been just fine for well over 100 years. And it is much better now than ever. Shot placement comes first, then the penetration/power/frontal size argument

Yep, because, as they say, it doesn't matter how big a bullet you miss him with. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a Glock 19 for a dozen years and am still kicking myself in the ass for selling it. I really liked it and have been thinking about getting another G19.

I recently bought a XDm Blk/Blk in 9mm and really like the way it fits my hand. I have big hands and find the XDm fits a bit better. It points a bit like a 1911 which is a big plus for me.

I had a problem on the XDm before ever shooting it with a small crack in the frame where the back-strap pins on. Would not effect anything other than it would always be in the back of my mind. Called SA and they told me to send just the gun back. After having it for a short time contacted me and said they were going to replace the firearm. I asked if they would send me a Blk/OD-Green and they said no problem. They paid for shipping both ways.

What they sent me was an entire new XDm gear kit. Including holsters, directions and two more mags. Note above, I only sent my firearm back as they requested.

Plus I got two more mags via the Gear-Up promo they had going until January 15th. So, for me, six mags in all "came with the firearm". I couldn't be happier with the gun, service, or the freebies.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a Glock or an XDm.

/tg

Guest Tn.Mitch

I bought my glock 27 sub compact 40 ca. for everyday CC,and then decided I wanted a full size for those times when ya want to open carry,with a OWB holster,I held the xd 40 and the S&M M&P 40 ca.,I really liked the xd,but the M&p really fit my hand so well,you get three different size back straps withn the gun,for all size hands,and its made here in the ole USA,I went with the M&P 40 cal.fs,I had night sights and Crimson Trace Laser Grips put on both guns,Leather IWB ho;lsters for both, and Black Hawk serpra holsters for both, to open carry with,like the retesion on the holsters,Jeff Walle up at Guns and Leather did all the work for me,I also bought the M&P there also,.so after a couple of thousand dollars spent,im all stocked up on ammo too, Im just waiting now for my HCP to get here in the mail,so I can leagaly use all of this great hardware. Take your time to make your choice so you wont be disapointed later :death:

Edited by Tn.Mitch
Guest Battzglock

Bought my first Glock back in 1988, a G17....to date I own the 17, 19, 21, 23, 23c, 27. I have never found a pistol in over 25 years of handgunning that performs better or is more reliable.

They are tough, accurate, easy to work with and they go bang when you pull the trigger.

I've not owned the XD....but my wife passd it up recently in favor of a M&P9c.....it fit her handsmuch better. But, I am quite impressed with it and after about 1000 flawless rounds I have to give it a solid thumbs up.

I am not Glock biased...just Glock experienced. No finer combat/tactical/carry handgun made IMO.

just got a XDM in 9mm and i love it so far. amazing accuracy and 19+1 means its the highest capacity pistol on the market right now with a magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the grip (that excludes the G17 w/ G18 mag)

i have always liked the XDs and they simply fit me better than the glocks

Guest edge3343

I have a Ruger SR9 that I really do enjoy shooting and carrying. So I think I am going to wait on the Glock and the XDM for a while and get myself a nice AR (while they are still cheap lol). I have decided that I when I do buy another pistol I am going to get the Glock 1st then the XDM.

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Glock 19 and I have owned an XD. I have not owned an XDm.

I am assuming you are buying the gun for concealed carry and my answer is based on that.

In general, you will find that the Glock trigger has a shorter reset which makes a difference in follow up shots. The bore also sets lower in the hand which helps with recoil and will also help you with follow up shots. The Glock will be lighter so if you plan on carrying all day it will make a difference.

I would not pick either gun by how it feels in your hand at the gun shop. You need to go to a shop that has rental guns or a friend that has one and shoot them both. The XD always felt better in my hand but I shoot the Glock much better and that is what counts.

If you pick the XD you may want the trigger worked... The guy at Canyon Creek has a very good reputation. I have shot an XD45 that had one of his trigger jobs and it was very nice.

I would recommend 9mm for the simple fact that the ammo is cheaper. You will shoot more because you can afford more. Practice and training is much more important than the caliber.

All the manufacturers make nice polymer pistols. You can't go wrong with an M&P, XDm, Glock, SR9, etc...

Mick

Guest Tn.Mitch
Hey guys I have a decision to make I have been looking to get a new pistol and I can not decide between the XDM and the Glock. I am most likely going to get the 40 cal but I have not ruled out the 9mm completely. Any thoughts?

Why is it allways between xd or xdm,against Glock?? whats the matter with a good old S&W M&P sub or fs same cal.s as the others and the way it feels in your hand IMO is better than both of the above,I have a Full size 40 cal.and a sub Glock27 40cal.,to me I have the best of those guns,now im only into 1911s.All im saying is dont forget about the other guy with the great 3 sizes of grips,in your hands,dont think they are called grips cant remember,but ya know what I mean.I think they all are good choices,buy 1 of all,if it takes ya, a year....lol HPIM0575.jpg

Edited by Tn.Mitch