My brother and I are going to try loading any dos or donts you care to share

Guest Rando

We picked up a loader and three sets of dies at the Meadowview show and tried to listen and learn what we could till it seemed we were just getting in the way. Bought a few extras and have a couple of guys that will help out when they can but what are some of the easiest mistakes to make and how do we avoid blowing up HIS house ( notice I said his I'm not totally stupid) We would be glad to visit someone and watch and learn all possible if anyone has the time and is close to Newport but all tips are greatly appreciated and maybe this would help more than just the two of us.

Thank you very much for any info, ie tapes, books, catalogs etc.....:D:D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a loading manual, several is better, I like Lymans 46th onward, and read it, read it and then read it again.

Now, for a novel idea, follow the manual. I know they can be conservative, I have older manuals showing much hotter loads also, but for now, be wise, follow the manual.

Start with 1 powder and 1 caliber and no more than a couple different bullets. Start light and work up carefully. Post pictures or have someone that knows what they are doing look at the fired cases and check for signs of pressure.

Never substitute components unless you are well under maximum loads and if you do, reduce and start over.

Try to pick up a chronograph, I recommend a Pro Chrono, it has worked better for me than my Beta Master Chrony(yeah, I know, good joke, snicker). If I had had a hundred dollar chrono 30 years ago it would have saved me a lot of time and money over the years.

Used good brass. If you are not sure what the brass is or where it came from throw it in a bucket until you do or scrap brass price goes back up.

Lets see, see how accurate a load you can make instead of how hot a load you can make. If you want to blow yourself up, buy some dynamite and do it right, don't destroy a good gun in the process.

Last of all, and you have done the right thing here, ask questions, lots and lots of questions.

And don't get distracted! No phone conversations, no watching the game. If you have to do something else, find a logical stopping point and stop! I generally tell the wife I'm going to be reloading so she will not expect me till I'm done. And don't try to do to much in a sitting. You'll get rushed and then make mistakes. Do them in batches. 20 to start would be fantastic.

All excellent advice.

I would also suggest that you get "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it. Twice. Never substitute primers, powder, or bullet weights. And after you reload for a while, you'll discover something "strange"......MAX loads are never as accurate as milder loads. At least...not usually.

I noticed a YouTube video linked on another forum about resizing brass, it was well done and answered several of my own questions. I bet there are a ton of reloading vids on YouTube, going to check that out myself.

Rightwinger has it right on track. ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY no distractions. Please keep those to a minimum.

No phone calls,no radio blasting,no girlfriends/wives or buddies.

Total concentration at all times. It only takes ONE boo boo to ruin a nice gun or body parts.

After a period of time goes by when you have gotten a SAFE routine and some SOLID SAFETY HABITS should you think of letting anything else come into the mix.

I hope I don't come off as someone berating a child as that is not my intent.

My intent is to solidify SAFE HABITS for a lifetime of reloading and being able topass on those safe habits to your kids or someone else's.

Happy reloading and get'er done!:bored:

Other factors will help you remain un-distracted. If your running your tumbler, you can't hear anything anyway!

I couldn't play my MP3 player as the bass speaker is sitting on the same bench I use to weigh out charges and the Dillon scale is so sensitive that it will jump in time to the beat, so no music in the background while throwing charges either. Generally the only talking going on is if my son is participating and I am describing what I'm measuring, weighing or the process of sizing or seating, etc.

Its good fairly quiet time, especially when I'm alone.

I just thought of a great example, it was easy as it was my biggest screw up ever. :doh:I started reloading with a Lyman 5-0-5 scale, that is it had 5 grain increments on the course side with a 1 to 5 grain adjustment on the fine tuning side. I was loading 8 grains of unique in one of my favorite loads so I move the course adjustment 1 click, 5, the fine adjustment 3 grains to get 8 total. I bought a new Ohaus 10-10 scale to replace it. This of course has a 10 grain course and a 10 grain fine adjustment. First early Saturday morning I went to loading, I went into autopilot, I moved my course adjustment 1 click, just I like had done for years, moved my fine adjustment 3 for a total of.......wait for it......13 grains of Unique. You with a 10 grain fine adjustment I needed to leave the course on 0. :death:, needless to say, for the first time in my life I pearced a primer. Did not hurt myself or my revolver but I learned a valuable lesson about distraction, I was in a hurry that morning to do some shooting and had not had time to do any reloading that week and new equipment....understand how it works. I still have that Ohaus scale and it is still my primary scale. Be careful and don't hurry when you load ever. I still shudder to think what could have happened. I was 22 then, I thank God I will see 47 in a few days, with both hands, both eyes and all my face, though that revolver is long gone.

All sound good and are good rules to go by, we are checking into the books now. We are trying to set up a so called clean room with a wooden table and lockable storage out of child reach( if thats possible) we are trying to set up right the first time and are checking all mags ,catalogs and books we can so as to do it right. We are checking with a few friends to see there set ups but everyone will probably do stuff different so we need to find what works for us I guess, but all info is being taken in and appreciated :confused:

Thank you friends, Rando