Help Me Choose...

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

I am trading my Marlin 1894, .44 mag for a carry/self-defense pistol. I have only gotten two offers that interested me. The first is a Taurus PT 100 in 40 s&w, the second is a s&w model 66 .357. I like a full size gun, so neither would be a problem. I was just hoping that I could get some feedback on which to choose. I like both about the same amount but haven't shot either.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trading my Marlin 1894, .44 mag for a carry/self-defense pistol. I have only gotten two offers that interested me. The first is a Taurus PT 100 in 40 s&w, the second is a s&w model 66 .357. I like a full size gun, so neither would be a problem. I was just hoping that I could get some feedback on which to choose. I like both about the same amount but haven't shot either.

Pretty huge gulf between semi-auto and revolver.

You don't even have a basic opinion about which type of firearm you'd like to carry?

That said, I'll mention:

- most would agree that any Smith in good shape is better quality than any Taurus

- the Taurus has twice the ammo capacity

- .40 and .357 are close enough together in oomph to be a non-issue

- OS

I may have something you would be interested in. Pm me and "Lets Make A Deal!!

I am just sad that you are ditching one of the best lever guns made. Gotta do what you gotta do, but 20 years from now you will certainly miss that beauty of a rifle.

I would take the Taurus .40 simply because it has a detachable magazine and under stress it would be easier to load than it would be fumbling around with a speed loader in a revolver--plus you can carry more rounds in the Taurus than the S&W 15rds for the Taurus versus 6 for the S&W--Taurus wins--but then again I am just not a revolver person.

Admittedly biased here, cause I'm a revolver fan through and through. If you've just GOTTA do it, then I'd go with the Smith. Just my opinion. I know others have other opinions, but they're all wrong!:D:D:D Just kidd'n. I have to carry a .40 at work, and I'm just not much on the .40. Long stories there I won't get into. I do like the .357 though. You've got a lot of versatility there for defensive packing or carrying in the woods or what not. Rat shot, 125JHP, 158 grain, 180 grain.

Good points made here on the Taurus too. But you do need to handle/shoot both. Find what works for you. My revolver fetish may not be right for you. Someone else's auto fetish may not either. Bottom line is, if your not comfortable with it, there's a chance you may not be confident or competent with it. Get what you're comfortable with and train with it till you hate training with it. After that, train some more. That said, I sure hate to see you get rid of that fine piece of machinery. Wish I had something left to swap you for it. Good luck to you brother.

I backed out on both of those guns.I have my sights set on a Tuaurs Millenium PT145 ss with the tacticle rail,fits very nicely in my hands.

You seem determined to swap a classic quality gun for something lesser.

Why don't you just see about SELLING the rifle (maybe here on TGO) and then buying what you want? You at least might come out in better shape all around money wise...

Just a thought...

- OS