Walmart shotguns

alingo2001

Went to the WM on old fort in the boro and saw they carried rifles and shotguns. Didn't realize they still did. I'm usually at the Smyrna store or the one on Rutherford. They had a Maverick 88 for $177 and a Mossberg 500 for $207. What do you think about them? It's my bday and my wife asked if I wanted one. Just wanted to see how good the prices are.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid prices for sure, the downside to those prices being Wal-Mart doesn't care about your gun rights the way an independently owned gun shop does.

Out of curiosity, these weren't equipped with the 18.5" barrels were they? I couldn't imagine Wally World carrying those, but I've been surprised by a few items in their cases before.

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge all black syn. I bought from them 2 years ago, and it is great. I haven't had any touble from it.

I did have someone at a somewhat local gun store tell me that Remington has a special line that they produce "wal-mart guns" through.

I might be wrong, but I highly doubt that. I am not so sure that Remington would want to chance screwing their reputation up by admitting to make an inferior product for a chain store.....but I could be wrong.

I might be wrong, but I highly doubt that. I am not so sure that Remington would want to chance screwing their reputation up by admitting to make an inferior product for a chain store.....but I could be wrong.

I'd have to agree with you. I think that kind of comment is along the same lines as "all the Winchester White Box at Wal-Mart is reloaded ammo and factory 2nds...", definitely puts a spike on the ol' BS-o-meter :koolaid:

so is the mossberg 500 worth $30 more?

In my opinion YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a buddy with a wal-mart maverick, and I think the 500 is worth the extra change, especially if you plan on doing a lot of shooting.

The maverick is great for a every once in a while shooter, but the 500 will hold up better, longer.

Guest GLOCKGUY
In my opinion YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a buddy with a wal-mart maverick, and I think the 500 is worth the extra change, especially if you plan on doing a lot of shooting.

The maverick is great for a every once in a while shooter, but the 500 will hold up better, longer.

What makes you think this? I have a buddy that has a maverick and has shot it over 5000 times. He and his son uses it to shoot skeets and his son uses it to duck hunt with. And its holding up as good as any other shotgun.
Guest TUNER260

Out of curiosity, these weren't equipped with the 18.5" barrels were they? I couldn't imagine Wally World carrying those, but I've been surprised by a few items in their cases before.

They are 28 inch barrels if they are like the ones in dickson.

Guest abailey362

I looked at a maverick when I was trying to find a 590 and it just didn;t feel nearly as good as the 500 I already had, or definately not like the 590. action dind't feel as smooth and the metal just looked cheaper.

i'd go with the 500, as I've had no problems with my combo (slug and field bbls) that came form wal-mart 15 years ago

What makes you think this? I have a buddy that has a maverick and has shot it over 5000 times. He and his son uses it to shoot skeets and his son uses it to duck hunt with. And its holding up as good as any other shotgun.

100% opinion.

Held them both and shot them both, and the Maverick "feels" like a cheaper gun, and the 500 seems like a cheaper gun next to the 870.

Just my opinion

Also we all "have that buddy who......" and we get different stories. True story I know a guy who while dove hunting crossed over a barbed wire fence with his Maverick (on safety)....when he put the but of the gun down on the ground (I guess it had to be forcefully) it fired, shooting him, and resulting in his death.

The guy was at fault for not properly handling the firearm, and the Firearm malfunctioned somehow because it was on safety. So all his close friends swear they will never own one.

While on the other hand I hand two really good friends who both have Mavericks, and we shot clays together, and they have no problem. They also have the shorter barrels, and folding stock, and all the taticool stuff you can put on a 500, on there Mavericks at home.

So my point is opinion are like A-holes.....everybody's got one.....(but some stink more than others) LOL

Edited by memphismason
to say more

The difference between the maverick and the 500 is the location of the safety. The 500 is tang safety and the maverick is a TG one like Remington.

The only problem is that the engagement of the maverick safety is STIFF!!! to the point of almost being difficult to push.

The relocation of the safety is the only material difference between the two...enough to pass $30 to the customer. Every thing else is identical.

...i was told by one of the employees they had been out for several weeks and future plans were in the works for every other store to discontinue carrying firarms and ammo.

You might as well have asked him some medical and financial advice while you were at it - his answer would probably have been about as valid on that as on Walmart corporate planning.

- OS

You might as well have asked him some medical and financial advice while you were at it - his answer would probably have been about as valid on that as on Walmart corporate planning.

- OS

:lol:

What's every other store? They gonna go by location on that :P.

hijack (kinda)

was in Wal Mart in M'boro sunday looking for 45 ammo, none in stock. i was told by one of the employees they had been out for several weeks and future plans were in the works for every other store to discontinue carrying firarms and ammo.

Nah, like everything, Walmart stocks based on sales. A lot of stores were not making enough on their firearm division to keep them open so they selectively closed low performing divisions. There isn't a very good margin on firearms. Just ask some of the local dealers.

The difference between the maverick and the 500 is the location of the safety. The 500 is tang safety and the maverick is a TG one like Remington.

The only problem is that the engagement of the maverick safety is STIFF!!! to the point of almost being difficult to push.

The relocation of the safety is the only material difference between the two...enough to pass $30 to the customer. Every thing else is identical.

It might be mind over matter, but I think the two models feel different in hand.

Most of the Local gun shops a round here say the same think about there ammo also..
I'm sorry... what?
I know what you mean.Sometimes you have to read a post real slow to understand what they are saying.:shrug:

There are people who perpetuate the theory that Walmart makes Winchester & Remington produce special, cheap, inferior loads just for them so they can undercut competitors pricing. The theory says the powder, casings, and bullets are 2nds and blemishes. :D

So, all those migrant workers that gang up outside of our local walmart stores, are actually waiting to be called into the back of the store to take a place at the "reloading bench"? That makes more sense than the ammo companies making cheap ammo just for walmart!

Dave

There are people who perpetuate the theory that Walmart makes Winchester & Remington produce special, cheap, inferior loads just for them so they can undercut competitors pricing. The theory says the powder, casings, and bullets are 2nds and blemishes. :rolleyes:

i tink don't taking about.:D

Edited by Grout