Bullet casting Idea!

This idea may be genius, then again, it may stink. But I used to cast a lot of pistol bullets but time has just prevented me from doing a lot the last couple of years. And considering that the major cost of shooting is the bullet, I have thought about forming a bullet casting group. Some of us older guys with experience and equipment, getting with younger guys who need to learn (and have more time and energy) do some teaching and production at the same time. A friend and I used to get together on a Saturday with a couple of pots, a bunch of molds and we could throw several thousand bullets in a day easy. If we had more pots, more molds and every body involved would share the bullets, we could cast quite a few in a day. Located in Nashville.

Just a thought

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

Glockster's - Communist Casting Commune for Pistols? CCCP for short.:D Share the wealth.

I'm kidding. I have a symbiotic relationship with a few people myself and we all prosper from it. I think you have a good idea, and a weekend casting workshop would be a great way to pass on those things experienced casters know, that no one ever seems to write down;)

i have a friend that wants to get into casting and his father owns a garage. I will check with him to see how much he has collected. I have a couple buckets of wheel weights. For most of us who shoot 45/38 or so, heat treated WW's should work fine. How many of you guys have tire shops near you as the price of lead has probably tanked?

Guest 70below

I don't have any experience, and I live in Knoxville, but if there is a group in this area that wanted to do something similar, I'm willing to take some knocks and learn.

Guest Traumaslave

Lead can be had by going to your local tire shops and asking for their spent wheel weights. They have buckets full of them and normally don't mind giving them away.

Lets plan a get together soon. I am committed this Saturday and the next so it will have to be an afternoon or evening meeting for me or a couple weeks out.

Does anyone in the Nashville are have a large shop or garage with benches where we can set up a couple of pots and throw bullets?

This sounds pretty cool! I'm game as long as I can work it into my schedule. I may have access to a small bucket of WW.

What about lubing/sizing? I haven't casted yet, so I don't know how time cosuming or equipment intensive that is. Is someone willing to let us use their stuff? I guess some could cast, some could lube?

I'd be interested in casting for .357 (preferring .358 sizing) and .44 (looking for .430 sizing)

Guest deut20:16

I might be able to help out. My dad recently bought a building that had what he called "sewer" lead in it. Octagon shaped pieces of lead inch thick baseball size round appro 5 pounds each, he said it was used to sweat pipes back in the day. He had more than you could carry and if he's still got them and it'll work for casting bullets I'll try my best to put you guys in business.

I have about 3 bullet sizer lubricators though they are old. I think the new Lee type is a lot faster. As to lube, Lee Liquid Alox is the fastest and works well but is smelly IMO. Lots of stick lubes for the sizing machines. I have Lyman molds in 357 429 452 . Lyman 358429 in a double cavity, 429421 in a double and a 4 cavity, 45 colt bullet in a double. I have really wanted to try the Lee 6 cavity molds in the tumble lube design in 9mm and 45 acp.

To give you an idea, I have cast 2000 44 mag and 357 mag bullets in one evening with 2 people working 2 pots and and 3 molds. Sized as I needed so that is not something that has to be done right then.

I have about 60 to 80Lb. of sheet lead. It is almost pure and very soft. It would have to be mixed with wheel weights or Linotype. I have been molding .577 Mine Balls, but would like some 200gr .452 swc. I would need to size and lube them. I will donate the lead to the cause. PM me when you want to start.

BH

Guest Astra900

I can pretty much tell you guys, the tire stores are not going to be passing out weights for free. If you find one that will, TELL NO ONE! I work in one, I have people asking for them all the time. I tell them, "I only have enough scrap to support my own habit".

Good luck though guys, this is a really good idea. I wish i could have had some guidance when I was learning to cast. I had to learn the ole trial and error way.

Actually a great site though I have not done the math with shipping.

However, I think this metal is more usable

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/linotypealloy.htm

If we were to buy in bulk and get free shipping as they say then we could cut the cost to less than 6 (5.16 to be more exact)cents a bullet average.

2.89 per pound, mixed 50/50 with WW equal 14000 grains per pound of Lino/WW. Average with a 250 grain bullet(44/45)then that is 56 bullets per pound. For plinking or for those that wish, straight WW alloy can be shot up to 1000fps. If you wish to go to the trouble to heat treat then you can push them to 1400. For 357/38/9mm average bullet weight is more like 150 so the alloy cut with WW could make as many as 93 bullets per pound cutting the cost to 3.1 cents.

This is what I use to love to do....scrounge and beat the system. I am sure I can figure a way around the 2.89 a pound linotype metal but I wanted to throw he numbers out for those that have never cast.