Here We Go... Assault Ban

Guest macmonkey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ALPAdude

Maybe this segment of the economy was doing too well for his liking...

Personally, I think this pres is going to loose popularity at a record pace. He is not keeping promises to those that supported him, and he keeps stepping on the toes of those that didn't. Still amazes me that he got elected...

:mad:

Guest tnjimbob

Here's what I sent to Alexander & Corker just now. For some reason I couldn't send to Cooper. Kept getting fail to send error. Will retry until successful.

===========================================================

Dear Senator Corker -

Per Attorney General Eric Holder today, President Obama wants to reinstate the 1994 assault weapons ban, directly contradicting his message during the campaign wherein he said he would not seek to ban weapons and Americans are entitled to our Second Amendment rights.

First off, "assault" is a behavior, not a weapon type. Second, nowhere in the Second Amendment does it say the government can ban specific types of weapons. Removing our ability to defend ourselves with weapons of our choice enables criminals to attack innocent citizens at will. Also, allowing illegal immigrants who mean to do us harm to run roughshod over our hard earned property and our right to defend it.

Should any legislation be proposed that would ban weapons, magazine capacity, or violate our God-given, Constitutionally guaranteed rights of gun ownership cross your desk, please vote against it. Your reelection votes are at stake.

Sincerely,

Jim H.

Hermitage, TN

Guest ALPAdude
Here's what I sent to Alexander & Corker just now. For some reason I couldn't send to Cooper. Kept getting fail to send error. Will retry until successful.

===========================================================

Dear Senator Corker -

Per Attorney General Eric Holder today, President Obama wants to reinstate the 1994 assault weapons ban, directly contradicting his message during the campaign wherein he said he would not seek to ban weapons and Americans are entitled to our Second Amendment rights.

First off, "assault" is a behavior, not a weapon type. Second, nowhere in the Second Amendment does it say the government can ban specific types of weapons. Removing our ability to defend ourselves with weapons of our choice enables criminals to attack innocent citizens at will. Also, allowing illegal immigrants who mean to do us harm to run roughshod over our hard earned property and our right to defend it.

Should any legislation be proposed that would ban weapons, magazine capacity, or violate our God-given, Constitutionally guaranteed rights of gun ownership cross your desk, please vote against it. Your reelection votes are at stake.

Sincerely,

Jim H.

Hermitage, TN

Not too harsh at all. I will be sending an email soon as well.

When did he say that? He made it very clear he wanted to reinstate the AWB.

Not in so many words, but they all tried to "calm the masses" with a message that suggested they would not pursue this. At least, not this soon:

"Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions, or even take off the market.

Virginia gun owner Kyle Lewandowski said he was buying a .45-caliber pistol to "hedge my bets."

"Every election year, you have to worry about your rights being eroded a little bit at a time," he said. "I also knew, because of the Democrat majority and because of the election, everybody would have the same reaction I did," he added.

But Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the buying spree "goofy." He said widespread talk of banning guns is a "sales pitch."

"With the glacial speed that we make progress on sensible gun laws, savvy gun consumers should know better than to think they have to rush out and buy guns," Hamm said. Similar surges accompanied the election of Bill Clinton, the last Democratic president, he added.

Dealers in Colorado, Ohio, Connecticut and New Hampshire also reported seeing major increases.

"It's a fact that the liberal Democrats that now control all three branches of our government do not like guns. They want us out of business," Connecticut resident Scott Hoffman said. "They don't want the average American to have a right to defend themselves."

And New Hampshire gun owner Lloyd Clement said, "I think there's going to be an attack to some degree on the gun owners."

The Clinton administration imposed a ban on several types of military-style semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines in 1994, but that ban was allowed to lapse in 2004. Obama has proposed restoring the ban, requiring background checks for buyers at gun shows, and other "common-sense measures."

He has said he supports the rights of local governments to set their own gun laws, but believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution protects individual gun rights.

"I believe the Second Amendment means something. I do think it speaks to an individual right," Obama said in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in February.

With the U.S. economy in a tailspin, however, the president-elect's advisers say gun legislation is not a high priority.

"What people do is their own business, and if they decide to go out and buy guns they'll go out and buy guns, assuming that they are eligible to buy guns," John Podesta, the co-chairman of Obama's transition team, told reporters Sunday. "But I think that President-elect Obama has been clear in his campaign that what he wants to focus on is the economy, trying to get jobs growing again, dealing with the health care crisis, and dealing with our dependence on foreign oil."

Not in so many words, but they all tried to "calm the masses" with a message that suggested they would not pursue this. At least, not this soon:

"Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions, or even take off the market.

Virginia gun owner Kyle Lewandowski said he was buying a .45-caliber pistol to "hedge my bets."

"Every election year, you have to worry about your rights being eroded a little bit at a time," he said. "I also knew, because of the Democrat majority and because of the election, everybody would have the same reaction I did," he added.

But Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the buying spree "goofy." He said widespread talk of banning guns is a "sales pitch."

"With the glacial speed that we make progress on sensible gun laws, savvy gun consumers should know better than to think they have to rush out and buy guns," Hamm said. Similar surges accompanied the election of Bill Clinton, the last Democratic president, he added.

Dealers in Colorado, Ohio, Connecticut and New Hampshire also reported seeing major increases.

"It's a fact that the liberal Democrats that now control all three branches of our government do not like guns. They want us out of business," Connecticut resident Scott Hoffman said. "They don't want the average American to have a right to defend themselves."

And New Hampshire gun owner Lloyd Clement said, "I think there's going to be an attack to some degree on the gun owners."

The Clinton administration imposed a ban on several types of military-style semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines in 1994, but that ban was allowed to lapse in 2004. Obama has proposed restoring the ban, requiring background checks for buyers at gun shows, and other "common-sense measures."

He has said he supports the rights of local governments to set their own gun laws, but believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution protects individual gun rights.

"I believe the Second Amendment means something. I do think it speaks to an individual right," Obama said in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in February.

With the U.S. economy in a tailspin, however, the president-elect's advisers say gun legislation is not a high priority.

"What people do is their own business, and if they decide to go out and buy guns they'll go out and buy guns, assuming that they are eligible to buy guns," John Podesta, the co-chairman of Obama's transition team, told reporters Sunday. "But I think that President-elect Obama has been clear in his campaign that what he wants to focus on is the economy, trying to get jobs growing again, dealing with the health care crisis, and dealing with our dependence on foreign oil."

That's him dancing around the issue for votes, his website clearly said he was in favor or reenacting the expired AWB.

Guest HexHead

I'm floored. Just flippin' floored...

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-tosses-cold-water-on-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html>

By Mike Soraghan

Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat no when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now, Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. I think it's clear the Bush administration didnt do that.

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who dont want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

Guest macmonkey
When did he say that? He made it very clear he wanted to reinstate the AWB.

"Even if I wanted to take away your guns, I don't have the votes in Congress to do so"

- B.O. (The First Tool)

I'm floored. Just flippin' floored...

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-tosses-cold-water-on-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html>

By Mike Soraghan

Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat no when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now, Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. I think it's clear the Bush administration didnt do that.

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who dont want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

Dang! Holder=pwned! By his own party even. :wall:

Guest Seminole

Pelosi is just hacked because she thinks she was "dissed" by a member of the Executive Branch presumed to weigh in on what legislation would be passed. When push comes to shove they both want the same thing. Never count on turf wars among the opposition to secure your rights.

When you're holding all the cards, nobody can stop you. They will do their gun banning early in the term so that it will be cooled off and forgotten by the next election. Forgotten at least by people on the fence, or who were on the wrong side of it to begin with. I for one will not forget what happens in the next 4 years.

When the Federal Assault Weapons Ban was enacted in Sept. 13, 1994 lets not forget that 45 out of 47 republicans actually voted for it. Bill Clinton was the guy who actually signed it and lets not forget that he was elected again to serve a second term. IMO he was smart about it because he did it within the first two years of his first term. Now i am not saying that people 'forgot' about the ban or anything, i'm just throwing the information out there.

When the Federal Assault Weapons Ban was enacted in Sept. 13, 1994 lets not forget that 45 out of 47 republicans actually voted for it. Bill Clinton was the guy who actually signed it and lets not forget that he was elected again to serve a second term. IMO he was smart about it because he did it within the first two years of his first term. Now i am not saying that people 'forgot' about the ban or anything, i'm just throwing the information out there.

IMHO, that's not saying much. Clinton did lots of nefarious crap and got re-elected.

We knew it was coming.

A "permanent Assault Weapon Ban" was on Obama's campaign platform, on his "President-Elect" platform, and now on his Presidential platform.

And to think that prices were just starting to come down...

Guest flyfishtn

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no†when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,†Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.â€

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

Guest flyfishtn
Nancy is just pissed cause she did'nt get to announce it !!:D:D

Actually, I think she is using her brain (first for everything) and knows there are enough moderate dems that believe this will create political suicide for their current fortuitous situation.