New semi auto

Slasher

Hey all,

I am new to firearms and am looking for my first semi auto. I have a Mosin 91/30, which got me in to firearms, and I am also looking for my first handgun but I wanted to get a semi auto before things get too hard to get.

What are some of your opinions for a descent semi. I like the history with milsurps but dont know that I can afford a Garand now. I have had a couple of people mention SKS's as an option and have found a Yugo M59/66 for around $275 which seemed like a good deal.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Off the cuff, right now I think I'd be shopping for an entry level AR-15 of some sort or maybe even an AK-47 clone. Both of these have tremendous aftermarket support and both are also likely to be right at the top of the list of banned items should Obama's new push to pass another "Assault" Weapons Ban come to fruition.

Get them now while the getting's possible. :usa:

Thanks for the responses, can you give me some examples of "entry level ar-15". I am very new to all of this. Talking to a buddy of my in the army last night, he mentioned he had an Olympic Arms AR-15. I didn't know if this was high end or not.

So I guess something like a SKS is not a good choice?

Thanks again.

Have you shot any of the three rifles mentioned before? If so did you have a personal preference? What will you be using the rifle for? I always consider a number of questions when I love for an "assault type" weapon and I use that term very loosely.

The SKS is a very fine semi-auto rifle, but your first semi-auto, in my humble opinion, should be a Ruger 10/22. You can shoot a lot of inexpensive ammo, and it will be quite accurate at 50 yards. The SKS may very soon go on a "banned" list. Also, the SKS ammo is getting expensive and hard to find.

Have you shot any of the three rifles mentioned before? If so did you have a personal preference? What will you be using the rifle for? I always consider a number of questions when I love for an "assault type" weapon and I use that term very loosely.

The only one of the three I have shot is the SKS and that was many years ago, way before I was interested in getting a gun so I didn't pay much attention to it. I have heard great things about the AR's but I thought they would be too hard to get hold of, plus they are quite expensive. I have around $600 to spend on a handgun and I want to make sure I get something good there for sure. I am just looking at getting some type of semi while I stll can and while they are still avaliable. I would just rather not spend another $600 to $1000 now when I can get something that would meet what I am looking for in the price range I have avaliable.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am looking forward to hearing more.

My opinion is get a second job! It's starting!

Before you know it all your extera cash will be going toward the hobby.:D

If you are anywhere near good with your hands try building an AR. It spreads the cost out a bit.

Edited by xd shooter
My opinion is get a second job! It's starting!

Before you know it all your extera cash will be going toward the hobby.:D

If you are anywhere near good with your hands try building an AR. It spreads the cost out a bit.

See....I knew it was a hobby. My girlfriend keeps referring to it as something different. I don't know, something carzy. It's something called an "obsession". :D

If you just want a bargain Semi if there is such a rifle left then a SKS is your best bet. I'd personally look for a Chinese I simply prefer them. Yugo makes a good shooter too I just would want one that a bad corroded bore or corrosion in the gas tube. Russians, Romanians, Albanians, Sino Soviets are out there but seem to command alittle bit more cash.

It would be a little cheaper to build an AR.

Maybe 700ish depending on what you want.

Check with Spikes Tactical.

See....I knew it was a hobby. My girlfriend keeps referring to it as something different. I don't know, something carzy. It's something called an "obsession". :D

Dude,that sounds like a perfume commercial!

Tactical perfume perhaps? :D

$275 is a touch high in my opinion, for the SKS.

The SKS is a fairly well made, dependable rifle. The yugo version does not have a chrome lined barrel; check the barrel and gas tube / piston for corrosion. The 7.62x39 is an intermediate power round, not terribly noted for its' accuracy. Think of it as the russian 30-30. I would hesitate to engage anything smaller than an elephant beyond 200 yards.

CMP field-grade garands are $495, and reportedly in decent condition. I've owned AK's, AR's (Colt), and Garands - the Garand is the only one still residing on my rack. It has never jammed, is more accurate than I am, doesn't depend on fiddly over-priced magazines. To me it feels better than the recycled aluminum cans and stamped sheet metal that others have recommended here. :woohoo:

Either way, it took me years to learn a simple truth; A dozen cheap rifles are more expensive failures than one quality rifle. Kind of like a woman; class tells.

Edited to add this ode to the Garand.... (found at CMP forum)

It satisfies the eyes. it looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. it looks like victory, freedom, and liberation. it looks friendly. it does not look evil. it does not look delicate. it does not look cheap.

it satisfies the ears. the clocklike schnick when you pull the bolt back. the warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. the massive solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. the deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. the final Ka-ting as the empty clip is ejected. the horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

it satisfies the touch. the warm sculpted wood. the curve of the stock. the curl of the bolt lug. the take-up of the trigger. the robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

it satisfies the soul. it is the defender of liberty. it is the champion of victory. it is the guarantor of freedom. it will not be used to rob banks. no terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. no gangster will use it to shoot a little girl while missing his imaginary gangster enemies.

it is the good guy's weapon. it is just the ticket to liberate a country. it opens the doors of concentration camps. it saves people from tyranny. it topples dictators. it squashes fascists. it pushes communists behind their walls. it defends the homeland. it provides for the common defense. it is necessary for the security of a free state.

it brings joy to women and children as they fire it. it strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. it makes friends at the shooting range. it reminds us of the cost of freedom. its lavish expense is appropriately justified.

Edited by Mark@Sea