Colt 1911, Glock 21, what to buy?

LarryS

OK, I know opinions are like a..holes but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Since I've found buyers for the two .38 cals I am selling it's time to rearm! I need (want) a 45 to replace one that was stolen some years ago. I had a Sig P220. So, what are the pros and cons of those two 45's plus any other comparable ones including the Sig?

Plus, who to buy from? I live in Knoxville. Is Frontier Firearms worth the drive or should I stick locally?

Thanks in advance!

Larry

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have absolutely no first hand experience with any of your questions (ownership wise), I'll throw my opinion out there anyway!:drama: If you are going to carry, I'd say the Glock: capacity, durability, cost, and size. However a nice 1911 is, well..... a 1911!. As far as Frontier, do a search. I've seen mainly negative comments on them. Good luck on your search!;)

Guest abailey362

what is the purpose of the gun? Which is the first to come to mind when you think about getting a new gun?

There are plenty of places to buy, but if you are looking for a 1911, the selection and service at hero-gear is always worth the drive.

If you intend to handload, stay off the glock. They tend to eat brass (and are unsafe to reload for in some calibers and certain model numbers).

Personally i'd get another sig 220. If you don't like that idea, CZ makes a steel-framed 45 as well that occasionally turns up. Very nice quality piece.

1911's are nice, and if its what you are used to then nothing else will suit. However, if you are just getting on the bandwagon they are bulky, they have a unique field strip manual, and limited capacity.

on the same level as the glock you also have the s&w m&p's which can get you up to 10 rounds and may or may not have a thumb safety on frame.

If it was me, I'd pick an action type.

DA/SA : sig 220, maybe the cz.

SAO : if capacity matters, XD-45. Else, taurus PT1911. Sig 220 SAO's are just too expensive for what they are these days.

DAO : s&w m&p.

how 'bout something kind of in-between? ...you might want to check out an FNH FNP45.

they're da/sa w/a safety so you can carry cocked and locked if you so choose, they've got a leg up on ergos over the glock, better capacity, more reliable, and lighter weight than the 1911, yet still has most of the good attributes found on mr. browning's design like a nice crisp sa pull when you want ... FNH's are quality-made, great weapons, and come stock w/ 3 mags...

AND they're cheaper than both the glock or a 1911!

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF020&gid=FNG001

just my $0.02.

Edited by CK1
Guest HexHead

1911's are nice, and if its what you are used to then nothing else will suit. However, if you are just getting on the bandwagon they are bulky, they have a unique field strip manual, and limited capacity.

Bulky? Have you ever held one?

As for limited capacity, Para makes double stack models. Now they are bulky. :D

If I was going to get another .45 that wasn't a 1911, it would likely be an HK 45.

Guest 70below

I've had both.........if you want pride of ownership and an accurate range gun get the 1911......if you want 103% reliability and durability go with the glock 21

Guest Grout
If you intend to handload, stay off the glock. They tend to eat brass (and are unsafe to reload for in some calibers and certain model numbers).

Damn,I have been reloading for a Glock 21 for the past 15 years.Guess I'll have to stop now.

I love 1911s and own several, it is my favorite range gun and what I usually compete with in IDPA, that being said I carry a Glock. I think the Glock is a better general purpose gun because it is almost always reliable right out of the box they are cheap they hold more ammo and are practically impervious to abuse. Your decision could be solved logically by simply purchasing both guns. :rolleyes:

I recommend you go the places that have indoor shooting ranges that rent handguns. Try various models that they rent and chose the gun that feel good to you in the 45 caliber.

:rolleyes:

I agree.

Guest Rick O'Shay
If you are interested in buying locally, I would suggest giving Coal Creek Armory a chance to earn your business.

If you are serious about 1911s, come see me down at Hero-Gear.

We have around 50 in stock :D

Really? Hmmm.... I am planning a weekend trip to Chickamauga this spring. I just might have to forgo the Interstate route. :death:

Guest hickok

Personally i'd get another sig 220. If you don't like that idea, CZ makes a steel-framed 45 as well that occasionally turns up. Very nice quality piece.

on the same level as the glock you also have the s&w m&p's which can get you up to 10 rounds and may or may not have a thumb safety on frame.

If it was me, I'd pick an action type.

DA/SA : sig 220, maybe the cz.

SAO : if capacity matters, XD-45. Else, taurus PT1911. Sig 220 SAO's are just too expensive for what they are these days.

DAO : s&w m&p.

I've been handloading for Glocks since, let's see, 1987 or thereabouts. No problems that I can recall, except that you want to use jacketed bullets. If you pick up an aftermarket barrel, you can also shoot lead bullets, which is what I do for my G30 and G21 most of the time.

I like 1911's and have shot them for many years, both plinking and in competition. I prefer the Glock for both carry, home defense, and general shooting these days. I'm spoiled by the "pull and shoot" simplicity of the Glock, just like my favorite Smith double actions.

Also, every time I put a 1911 on my belt, I'm reminded how much I prefer the weight of my Glocks. The Glock 21 and Glock 30 are sweeeeeeeeet ! Even though I'm a 1911 fan and owner, I am biased toward Glocks.

hickok

As posted elsewhere, I took my new Glock 21sf to the range this weekend. I could not be happier with it. The 1911 is THE classic .45 handgun. Somehow, I just never became a fan of the way it feels in my hand though. (I realize that makes me a heathern savage, but I can't help it) I also just love the idea of carrying 1 spare magazine and having 27 rnds of .45 ACP available to me. Personally, I'd go Glock.

TK47

I want a 1911 something fierce, but with the current administration and their agenda, I went with the G21 for now instead of the 1911. I will have a 1911, but for now, I wanted to get a G21 while I still can. They are known for being extremely durable and always going bang when you pull the trigger. I like the 27 rd capacity also. I will have a 1911 sometime. They've been available since what 1911?, so I don't guess they're going away anytime soon.