gps tracking

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now someone at work that has one. If I do not forget I'll see what I can find out. I know it attaches by magnet and has the software for the PC. I have seen him run it on the PC after he loads the info from the unit. Pretty cool.

I know some one else who hid a hand held in the back of his sons SUV but this will not work very well if you need it quite a bit. It's hard to hide and still get sat reception.

I read about on in the SKY MALL mag on a commercial flight.

Look up skymall.com and the key word is tracking key.

I think it works off of D cell batteries.I dont know how long it will run off a set of batteries but It's worth a look.

spacer.gifspacer.gifIs my teenager speeding? Where is my spouse going? Where are my employees driving?

Find out! With the Tracking Key

The Tracking Key is a small, pocket sized device that receives signals from 24 GPS satellites orbiting the earth. The internal computer accurately determines the location of the device within 2.5 meters and records this data every second. Replay everywhere the vehicle drove

Shows how fast they drove and maximum speed

Can be hidden easily in or under a car

Create detailed daily driving reports

Data downloads directly to your USB port Tracking Key, 1.5"W x 3.8"D x 1.3"H (2.4 oz.)

Requires 2 AAA Batteries (not included

I know a guy that bought a prepaid cellphone, and uses it to track his car.

He put in another 12 volt socket and keeps the phone plugged in at all times, keeps it stuffed under the center console. And uses a web site where you can tracks cell phones wherever they go as long as they have signal.

Is that legal?

Depends on the circumstances. The OP should make sure he is not running afoul of the law.

TCA 39-13-606 states:

39-13-606. Electronic tracking of motor vehicles. —

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (:doh:, it is an offense for a person to knowingly install, conceal or otherwise place an electronic tracking device in or on a motor vehicle without the consent of all owners of the vehicle for the purpose of monitoring or following an occupant or occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section, “person†does not include the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

(:eek: (1) It shall not be a violation if the installing, concealing or placing of an electronic tracking device in or on a motor vehicle is by, or at the direction of, a law enforcement officer in furtherance of a criminal investigation and is carried out in accordance with applicable state and federal law.

(2) If the installing, concealing or placing of an electronic tracking device in or on a motor vehicle is by, or at the direction of, a parent or legal guardian who owns or leases the vehicle, and if the device is used solely for the purpose of monitoring the minor child of the parent or legal guardian when the child is an occupant of the vehicle, then the installation, concealment or placement of the device in or on the vehicle without the consent of any or all occupants in the vehicle shall not be a violation.

(3) It shall also not be a violation of this section if the installing, concealing or placing of an electronic tracking device in or on a motor vehicle is for the purpose of tracking the location of stolen goods being transported in the vehicle or for the purpose of tracking the location of the vehicle if it is stolen.

© The provisions of this section shall not apply to a tracking system installed by the manufacturer of a motor vehicle.

(d) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1997, ch. 339, § 1.]

I still hold a license as a Private Investigator in TN and unless you are the adult guardian of a child under 18 tracking anyone via GPS is ILLEGAL!

Got asked to do this repeatedly by clients and potential clients. Doesn't matter if its your car or one you pay for. If someone else is driving it they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

This goes for active real time tracking as well as the models that record the travels and are then downloaded. They are a big big no no. Judges are very aware of these items as well !

You may want to have a mod delete this thread....seriously.

Depends on the circumstances. The OP should make sure he is not running afoul of the law.

TCA 39-13-606 states:

I still hold a license as a Private Investigator in TN and unless you are the adult guardian of a child under 18 tracking anyone via GPS is ILLEGAL!

Got asked to do this repeatedly by clients and potential clients. Doesn't matter if its your car or one you pay for. If someone else is driving it they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

This goes for active real time tracking as well as the models that record the travels and are then downloaded. They are a big big no no. Judges are very aware of these items as well !

You may want to have a mod delete this thread....seriously.

That's what I thought. I'm wasn't sure of the OP's intentions (nor is it my business), but I thought that that should be made clear.

Yes. My son was given a car from his Grandparents. They have one in it that has a small monthly fee. It will even call your cell phone at a speed set at your choice. Also can goto your pc and watch them drive on a map of their location.

Guest eyebedam
actually i was asking for my father as he wants to monitor his daughter's car, that he owns. so that is legal, right?

So that would be your sister right?

could someone please tell me where i could find a gps tracking unit setup?

http://www.rmtracking.com/?gclid=CNTWnJqGlJkCFQZinAodtyb2Yw

i need to track a vehicle, discretely.

If I own the vehicle I will track it wherever I like; regardless of who is driving it. Cops can do it without a warrant; I certainly can on my own car.

also has to be able to be attached to vehicle very quickly

That doesn’t sound like the owner of the vehicle is the one attaching the GPS unit. :cool:

Even if you own the car, make all the payments, insurance is in your name and the title says no one else owns it, but your wife drives it and she finds the tracker, you are committing a crime.

Cops also must get a warrant to do the same. If you have knowledge to the contrary, whoever had the tracking device on their car has a case against the agency that did so.

Nightrunner,

The post above was for everyone but especially Dave since he stated he would track any car he owned, no matter who was in it. It was probably just a statement and he is probably not planning to buy a GPS and use it but I wanted it clear that he could be setting himself up for trouble. Most of the requests we got for GPS tracking were from the other half of a domestic problem. A divorce or fidelity issue where one side wanted us to tell them want their spouse or ex was doing. We had to refuse everytime. Only once did we have a parent come and want to know what their child was doing. We did assist them at that point (gave them the address of a local store) but they still wanted us to follow the child to ascertain if they were buying or using drugs. This we could do.

Your father can buy the equipment and legally track the car of your sister as long as there are no other qualifications (like she has had her self emancipated or purchased the car herself and keeps it at another location)

Best thing is to have your father seek the council of a good attorney and/or private investigator.

Even if you own the car, make all the payments, insurance is in your name and the title says no one else owns it, but your wife drives it and she finds the tracker, you are committing a crime.

I’m not going to put a tracking device in my car. But I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the number of people convicted of putting a tracking device in a private vehicle they own in the state of Tennessee is…. Zero. :D

Cops also must get a warrant to do the same. If you have knowledge to the contrary, whoever had the tracking device on their car has a case against the agency that did so.

It is my understanding that the cops don’t need a warrant; only probable cause. I think there was a ruling on that recently, but you will have to look it up.

You would be refering in part to this probably.

Court ruling has not come down but even the police tried to wriggle out of it by saying they put the device on the vehicle in a "public" place as they knew they could not do so on private property.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/evidenceprof/2008/05/gps-wout-warran.html

No, I’m referring to this….

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/legal-services/4066725-1.html

7th Circuit rules police use of GPS device is constitutional

By USA, Lawyers

Police use of a global position system (GPS) device to track a suspect's vehicle doesn't violate the Fourth Amendment, the 7th Circuit has ruled.

The police received a tip that the defendant was preparing to manufacture methamphetamine, and a store's security video system recorded him buying ingredients to make the drug. The police found a car fitting the description of the vehicle the defendant was said to be driving, and attached a GPS "memory tracking unit" under the rear bumper.

When police later retrieved the device, they learned the car's travel history since it was attached, including the fact that the car had traveled to a large tract of land. The owner of the land gave the police permission to search, and they found equipment and materials used in the manufacture of meth.

The defendant argued that evidence obtained as the result of the GPS device should have been suppressed.

But the court disagreed, finding that the use of the device was not a "search."

"The device did not affect the car's driving qualities, did not draw power from the car's engine or battery, did not take up room that might otherwise have been occupied by passengers or packages, did not even alter the car's appearance, and in short did not 'seize' the car in any intelligible sense of the word," the court said.

"f police follow a car around, or observe its route by means of cameras mounted on lampposts or of satellite imaging as in Google Earth, there is no search. GPS tracking is on the same side of the divide with the surveillance cameras and the satellite imaging, and if what they do is not a search in Fourth Amendment terms, neither is GPS tracking."

U.S. v. Garcia (Lawyers USA No. 9935103) U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit No. 06-2741. Feb. 2, 2007.