.32 S&W Long / .32 Auto - Interchangeable?

Guest pjblurton

Guest pjblurton

I got one for the ammo geeks...

The wife has a gorgeous Smith and Wesson Model 30, nickel finish, 2-in barrel, .32 S&W Long in the original box with the warranty papers from 1955 AND the original "NOX-RUST Vapor Wrapper" wax paper.

Nice. It was a gift from her Father.

But 32 S&W's are getting hard to come by. I got 3 boxes of .32 auto at a good price. (Free!)

Would it be safe to shoot 'em? We Switch out .32S&W Long with .32 S&W Short all the time. No issues.

Looking at the standard specs, they look close. But how close is close enough?

For 32Auto:

Bullet diameter .309 in (7.8 mm)

Neck diameter .336 in (8.5 mm)

Base diameter .337 in (8.6 mm)

Rim diameter .358 in (9.1 mm)

Rim thickness .045 in (1.1 mm)

Case length .680 in (17.3 mm)

Overall length .984 in (25.0 mm)

And .32 S&W Long:

Bullet diameter .312 in (7.9 mm)

Neck diameter .337 in (8.6 mm)

Base diameter .337 in (8.6 mm)

Rim diameter .375 in (9.5 mm)

Rim thickness .055 in (1.4 mm)

Case length .920 in (23.4 mm)

Overall length 1.280 in (32.5 mm)

Any wisdom appreciated...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

Everything grouped together is interchangeable. According to the chart, No.

.30-30 Sav.

.30-30 Win.

.30-30 Win Accelerator (SEE NOTE A)

.30-30 Marlin

.30-30 Win. High Speed

.30 W.C.F

.32 Colt Automatic

.32 Auto. Colt Pistol (ACP)

.32 (7.65mm) Automatic Pistol

7.65mm Automatic Pistol

7.65mm Browning (not interchangeable with 7.65mm Luger)

.32 Short Colt in .32 Long Colt but not conversely (SEE NOTE C)

.32 S&W in .32 S&W Long but not conversely

.32 S&W Long

.32 Colt New Police

.32 Colt Police Positive

.32 W.C.F. (SEE NOTE A)

.32 Win. (SEE NOTE A)

.32-20 Win. High Speed (SEE NOTE A)

.32-20 Colt L.M.R.

.32-20 W.C.F. (SEE NOTE G)

.32-20 Win. and Marlin

I hope someone with more knowledge than myself chimes in, but I would not do that if I were you. The difference in bullet diameter would limit the accuracy, the rim dimensions are different, the .32 is semi rimmed while of course the .32 long is rimmed etc. It may not dangerous, both cartidges being low pressure, but I would not risk damaging that nice pistol without a more difinitive answer.

I don't really know how to read that chart you just posted, but I would advise again shooting .32 ACP in your .32 Long. It's just not a good idea to shoot something designed for another firearm completely in that nice Smith.

Going from .32 long to short is like going from .357 mag to .38 special. That's fine. You are chaging calibers completely going from Long to ACP. That would be like going from .38 special to 9mm. There are a few guns designed to do this (as 9mm runs at about twice the pressure of the .38 special) but otherwise it should not be done. Also, you are going from a rimmed design to a rimless, so you'll have problems chambering. Sure, you're going to find folks that say "fire away," but they are nuts, IMHO.

Finally, pressure. .32 S&W Long 15,000 psi SAAMI max, .32 ACP 20,500 psi SAAMI max.

Don't do it!

Edited by musicman
Guest pjblurton
post it up in the classifieds.

Nah... The little woman has an emotional attachment to it. She doesn't carry it (too small) but it was one of the few things her Dad gave her.

Guest pjblurton

Well the ammo's hardly worth the shipping. Got about 150 rounds i guess. Just priced new at around $40. These are the Tennessee Reloads in the orange box. All of them are facing forward...

And here's your pics musicman.

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

Edited by pjblurton
Box had the Serial number on it...
Guest KWW67

Very nice gun. I would like to know more about the .32 long and .32 shorts interchanging. I did not know that. My mother has a .32 and wants some hollow points. Very hard to find locally. Did not think about the shorts. Can someone please give me more info...

Edited by KWW67
Guest pjblurton

I get Remington hollowpoints for my wifes at Bass Pro Shops when they have them. They are Labled ".32S&W Long". They run about $25 per 50. They are getting hard to come by. I don't worry about the cost so much as she doesn't shoot the .32 much.

I have found some labled ".32 S&W" at WalMart and they were actually .32 S&W Short. But will shoot fine if the gun is labled .32S&W Long.

Longs will not fit (most likely) in a short however...

Edited by pjblurton

OK, the run down is that you can always DOWNGRADE .32 revolver ammo from what is labeled on the gun/frame. IE:

a .327 Mag will shoot .327 Mag, .32 Mag, .32 Long, and .32 short.

a .32 Mag will shoot .32 mag, .32 long, and .32 short.

a .32 Long will shoot .32 long and .32 short.

a .32 short will only shoot .32 short.

You CANNOT go UP from what the gun is chambered for. Also, DO NOT try to make rounds for a semi-auto work in a revolver, or vice versa.

(The exception is the S&W M52 and its copies, which are semi-autos made expressly for shooting .38 special wadcutter target loads.)

I hope that clears some things up.

• 4 months later...
Guest 70below

If I may hijack a bit........anyone have any experience with the .327 mags? I've been interested in possibly getting one for my girlfriend as she is very recoil sensitive and has trouble working the slide on autos. She could start with .32 shorts for a bit and work up from there and use the mags for defense.