Kel Tec PMR-30

pop pop

My son in law brought a used PM 30, 22 Magnum pistol over for me to shoot. It has two mags that hold 30 and is very light. This one has a 200.00(??)  upgrade to a steel brl, trigger, and slide.  The pistol is comfortable and has an ambi 1911 style safety on the rear. 

I took it out and fired 39 rounds through it from two different magazines with 2 brands of 22 mag ammo. One brand was CCI 22 WMR Maxi Mag HP. The other brand  just had a C on the end and was RN and I am not sure of the brand but was somewhat hotter than the CCI I had on hand. 

The pistol was really accurate and shot to the aim. It sights had 3 light gathering tubes, 2 on back red, and one in front florescent green. Out of my very limited firing the gun would not run consistently. It failed to cycle 10 times out of 39 shots. The next round went above the chamber opening every time in the same manner. 

I am going to tell him thumbs down. The guy wants 400.00 for it and I don't think it is worth it. Ammo is too expensive to plink with and it goes along with many reports I have seen involving a PM 30. Many have posted some are unreliable.  

I know that is not enough rounds, but 22 mag ammo is too costly to waste on this gun, IMO. Don't take me wrong, I really am a fan of 22 magnum guns, but just not this one. I have a 22 mag revolver that goes bang ever time. Also have a Marlin 22 Mag bolt fed rifle. I just don't like to purchase guns that needs work right out of the gate.  

I have  CMR30 and was also cursing it when I bought it, improperly loaded magazines seem to be the issue. I got a loader (maglula) and it works fine now. The rims overlap and doesn't let it feed properly. I'm in Maryville so a little far to let you try the loader. I know with the cost of ammo these days don't need to be wasting it or your time.

I own both the PMR & CMR-30.

First off, ALL barrels are "steel". Not sure what he told you but they're steel from the factory.

The Kel-Tecs need to have 40gr ammo for them to run correctly. The lighter bullets have a different nose profile & length, they just won't feed correctly. Once I got this figured out, mine run like a champ.

A drop of oil on the feed ramp doesn't hurt either. 

My .o2

• Like 1

Clean it before you shoot it.  True of anything from Kel-Tec.  Whatever oil they ship them with seems to be an 'anti-lube'.

The trigger is terrible on these guns.  Once you get used to them, you can get good accuracy and rapid follow-up shots.

Stick to 40gr as stated above.  And get a magazine loader.  Rim over-ride is the most common cause of problems.  The magazine loader makes those much less likely.

I really like the compact little CMR30, the 30rd magazines, and getting 5.7mm performance at less than half the cost.

I only have about 500 rounds through mine, mainly because ammo is expensive as you noted, and it was hard to find for awhile so I wasn’t wanting to blow my whole wad. I just looked at my round count notes and I have had 11 malfunctions from mine, which is in its original configuration. I’m not sure how I missed the memo about the 40grn ammo being preferred… just hearing that for the first time here, but according to my notes at least 8 of those malfunctions were shooting other than 40grn. I can also see how the rim overlap in the magazine could easily happen.   I have really enjoyed mine so far, shoots accurately and is light enough to throw in a camelback when hiking.

• 2 months later...

I have wanted a .22 mag autoloader since I shot my first Ruger Single Six and swapped out the cylinder. Woo-Hoo! 🙂

I'd like to have an Automag II but not willing to pay the price. Had a chance to get a PMR for about $400 before shipping & FFL transfer, so went with a friend to shoot one. I enjoyed it - a LOT! But I decided I wouldn't get $400 worth of fun out of it right now. 🙂

But one day, maybe... LOL