Needing guidance

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Visit your local gun shop regularly. You will run into hunters, target shooter, self defense folks. Check your local social media for dove hunts and also ask about joining deer clubs. Join a gun club! You’ll find some old fart that doesn’t want to take all his hunting knowledge to the grave. My old fart taught me how to duck hunt and fly. We were thick as thieves before he passed. I’m now an old fart but don’t live anywhere near you. Good luck man. 

2 hours ago, RED333 said:

I do not hunt any more, when I did it was with close friends that I had known a long time. Going into the woods or sitting in a field with people the have guns is not something to take for granted.

Here are some idears for you to think about

https://wildernesshuntinglodge.com/tennessee-boar-hunting/

https://boarhuntingtn.com/

That's the thing, I don't have any friends. Politics and fb have shown me I never did have anyone. Which is why Im on here.

Honestly the best thing you can do is get hunting land and invite someone to go. It is so hard to get someone to let you hunt. The good spots are good because of how much work goes into the place the entire year. Then everyone wants to hunt your land. If you have the land, most guys will be happy to hunt with you. They may even invite you to their place. When you say "take me hunting", most hear "let me shoot your deer".

The other thing is safety. Getting shot sucks. Dealing with someone who shot themselves sucks. Dealing with someone who shot someone's cow sucks. You can say you're a great shot and safe, but you kinda need to prove it to most people. 

2 minutes ago, THA KERNALLL said:

No money for land. From what it sounds, I'm just stuck watching videos of hunts. Thanks for the input guys. 

No your are not, look into the links I gave you. Talk to them and tell what you have going on. These are links to places that will let you hunt with a guide. They will put you in a stand and all you have to do is aim, pull the trigger and harvest game.

Is this not what you want?

22 minutes ago, RED333 said:

No your are not, look into the links I gave you. Talk to them and tell what you have going on. These are links to places that will let you hunt with a guide. They will put you in a stand and all you have to do is aim, pull the trigger and harvest game.

Is this not what you want?

I was hoping for a mentor, not a hunting lodge to take all the work out of it. Someone to help me learn about hunting and tracking. 

7 hours ago, THA KERNALLL said:

No money for land. From what it sounds, I'm just stuck watching videos of hunts. Thanks for the input guys. 

Most people don't own their hunting land. They get permission from the owner, do a hunting lease, or hunt family land. You'll need to do some leg work. 

Someone may let you shoot a doe on their place. 

5 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

Most people don't own their hunting land. They get permission from the owner, do a hunting lease, or hunt family land. You'll need to do some leg work. 

Someone may let you shoot a doe on their place. 

Mainly looking to hunt wild boar. The more I read, it looks like TN is not the place. I'll have to befriend someone in TX, lol. My goal for this post was to find a teacher locally, then find a place to practice those skills later. I have no money for a hunting lodge or family land. Just wanted a teacher to show me the way. Thanks anyway guys

Land is the thing. I grew up hunting and enjoyed it. Mostly on farm land owned by family and friends. But slowly over the years they sold out or died off. Finally gave it up about 20 years ago simply because I ran out of places to go. ☹️

Your best chance is to join a hunting club. But most aren't open to strangers. Ya gotta know somebody. 

2 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Land is the thing. I grew up hunting and enjoyed it. Mostly on farm land owned by family and friends. But slowly over the years they sold out or died off. Finally gave it up about 20 years ago simply because I ran out of places to go.

This was, is my issue, just no where to go that is close.

25 minutes ago, THA KERNALLL said:

Mainly looking to hunt wild boar. The more I read, it looks like TN is not the place. I'll have to befriend someone in TX, lol. My goal for this post was to find a teacher locally, then find a place to practice those skills later. I have no money for a hunting lodge or family land. Just wanted a teacher to show me the way. Thanks anyway guys

Are you talking day hunting or night hunting? 

1 hour ago, THA KERNALLL said:

Day hunting until I can afford some kind of night vision.....so basically day time for a long time, lol. 

There are outfitters that'll provide night hunting equipment. They'll also take you day hunting. Dogs will be used in some cases. They even have knife hunts. You just have to be willing to drive to Texas, Arkansas, South Carolina, or Georgia. I've never hunted Alabama, but you can probably find places down there. The guide is always with you in most cases if it's an eradication hunt. Don't bother with the trophy hunting places. You'll need to find a couple of guys to go with you. They'll sometimes put you with another party, but people typically want to know the guy banging out rounds next to them.