got a new carry weapon.

Guest Disney

Guest Disney

I picked up a Hi-Point 380 today from a local guy. Very nice guy, he also owns a Kimber Pro Carry II which I want VERY much.... But I digress....

It seems to be in pretty good shape. It definitely needs a good cleaning, but should hold me over for a few months until I can get something better. Main thing is I have another pistol. That's good.

DSCF1174.JPG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a guy I worked with that wanted a .45acp, but he wanted it CHEAP… $200 or less.

I told him that the only thing he would get in that price range that would be reliable is the Hi-Point. I showed him how to use it after he got it. Butt ugly… looked like you could roof your house with it; but it worked.

I won’t give you any grief for buying a hi-point. Why buy cheap foreign stuff when you can buy cheap “American Made†stuff? biggrin.gif

I will however say that the .380 is absolutely unacceptable as a carry round no matter who made the firearm.

leaving.gif

While the questionability of such firearms as Hi-Points is worth considering, as long as it is up to the task and its limitations understood, nothing is of greater importance than its proper application by the user.

Congratulations on your purchase, may it serve you well.

Guest EasilyObsessed
With any kind of luck this will only have to serve me for a month. I really want a 1911 and that will be my next purchase.

You still need to come out some Saturday with me to the range. You can shoot the 1911, the new M&P45 I picked up last weekend, the 40S&W Glock, the XD40, and the Beretta. It might give you a better idea of exactly what you are looking for. That said...1911 ftw!

With any kind of luck this will only have to serve me for a month. I really want a 1911 and that will be my next purchase.

I thought you wanted something better than a Hi-Point??

I have no problem with a .380 as a carry round. For what you want, you have probably gotten something very serviceable.

And you can have the HomeBoy Sites installed on it too!

Guest Steelharp
While the questionability of such firearms as Hi-Points is worth considering, as long as it is up to the task and its limitations understood, nothing is of greater importance than its proper application by the user.

Congratulations on your purchase, may it serve you well.

Not saying you, or anyone in particular... but it amazes me how some level of acceptance is found for a Hi-Point, but people will absolutely slam a Glock... :popcorn:

Guest Phantom6
Not saying you, or anyone in particular... but it amazes me how some level of acceptance is found for a Hi-Point, but people will absolutely slam a Glock... :popcorn:

Yeah, man. It's one of them things that makes ya go hmmm.

I keep a Hi-Point on my desk as a matter of fact. It holds those papers down just fine.:P

Seriously though, I do own a Hi-Point and I think DaveTn is partially correct about one point. They are butt-ugly guns and you probably could roof a house with one but, it'll still stop a threat- at close distances.

Originally Posted by DaveTN:

I will however say that the .380 is absolutely unacceptable as a carry round no matter who made the firearm.

There is an old saying: A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44. That's been proven a million times.

"Ooh, don't shoot 'em with a .22. You'll only aggravate 'em."

That's right. I will absolutely aggravate my threat to DEATH!

If by circumstance one must make use of a .380 to stop a threat, I would submit that it would be absolutely acceptable and certainly would be preferable over say... A STICK! :eek:

Guest Disney

I was ready to be ribbed a bit for the Hi-Point. No sweat off my sack. Bottom line is this; I can probably sell it for as much or more than I currently have in it, I can shoot now, and I can get my CCW class done with it. It shoot true enough for me and it's reliable so far. It's not like i'm married to the dang thang!

Thanks for the positive comments though!!

The permit class that I took wouldn't let you shoot anything smaller than a 9mm or .38 Special. I've shot a High Point only once in my life. It wasn't that accurate, but it worked. As far as using a .380 to defend yourself with, I think that a .380 you have on you is better than a .45 you left in the truck. My wife carries a .32 Kel-Tec and I'm fine with that.

Actually, I've never heard of a Hi-Point kabooming.

Nothing wrong with a 380 for personal defense. Something with more power is better, but it's hard to find a good pistol in 50 BMG. :P

My carry class had several people using a .22 to qualify. It's legal to use a .22 as a carry weapon. Sounds like some instructors are a bit anal retentive.

I sort of had that same reaction. The state allows any pistol to be used for qualifying. So why be more restrictive than the state?

Further, some people cannot handle anything more than a .22. For them it is the best carry weapon they're going to get.

• Administrator
I was ready to be ribbed a bit for the Hi-Point. No sweat off my sack. Bottom line is this; I can probably sell it for as much or more than I currently have in it, I can shoot now, and I can get my CCW class done with it. It shoot true enough for me and it's reliable so far. It's not like i'm married to the dang thang!

Thanks for the positive comments though!!

Your cool points will drop by about 20,000 when you tuck that thing into the waistband of your pants and carry it Mexican style. Assuming your pants can hold the weight of it up.

:popcorn:

Some people absolutely slam Hi-Points... but think about it for a minute, what other firearm will give you acceptable performance for little more than $100?

In terms of Glock there are alternatives far and wide which are arguably better (in its price range), and, at least the Hi-Point has a manual safety... Not that I would advocate choosing a Hi-Point over a Glock, in the least, but considering the price difference, there is little room for comparison.

Bottom line is this; I can probably sell it for as much or more than I currently have in it, I can shoot now, and I can get my CCW class done with it. It

That’s one of the nice things about shooting and collecting as a hobby; any used firearm should be that way. I go through maybe 3-5 firearms a year and they don’t cost me anything but ammo.

Guest Disney
Your cool points will drop by about 20,000 when you tuck that thing into the waistband of your pants and carry it Mexican style. Assuming your pants can hold the weight of it up.

:eek:

What do you want me to do? Buy a holster for this POS that I probably wonlt have for more than a month? Heck yes i'm tuckin it in my waistband! With the side mount sights it should help keep it from falling through too. :P

I think we can all agree.... Hi-Point FTW!! :popcorn:

Guest looneeetunes

well since some of the hipoint owners are comming out of the closet here i must also i own a 9mm, a 9mm with compensator, a 40cal., and the 45 acp. when i first started buying guns several years ago the temptation was tooooo great, a gun that fires every time that is that cheap. the only one of these i have had to hang was the 40 and a little fluff and buff fixed that. well i am officially out of the closet now and i feel soo naked !!!!!!!:rolleyes:

6aqcl6c.jpg

Here is a picture of my humble Kimber. It was a pleasure to meet you the other day. We should get together and do some shooting. The more guns that you can shoot before making your major purchase will save you money in the long run. With that said I do not believe that you will ever find the perfect combination of carry, and Target quality handgun. Count on needing at least two and wanting about 15. Later.