Sticky question concerning inherited suppressors

I have a good friend who's father recently passed. He found three suppressors in some of the gun stuff. Another acquaintance of his told him he would take them and get them sold for him.....I'm thinking that's a super big NO NO...My advice to my friend is to get them back and put them back into the house until we get more information on how to sell and transfer them. They were individually owned and not in a trust. He thinks he has the tax stamps and papers with them. He is the executor of the estate. Any advice on where to go from here. His acquaintance is not FFL licensed, so I think if he sold those to anyone, they could easily trace them back to my friend and there could be major issues....Anyone have opinions or advice, I welcome it...

He needs to fill out a form 5. His friend is going to get everyone in deep s%/t. The fact that you're talking about it, proves it. Get them back and file the form 5, then decide what to do with them. It's free.

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 2

I only own one .22 cal suppressor. But a couple of years ago I did get to thinking about what to do with it when I pass. You only have 2 options. You can file the paperwork and have them transferred to you. Then you can legally sell them. IIRC there is no charge to do this as they are inherited. But check that just to be sure. 

Or, you can surrender them to ATF. 

In my case, mine is a cheap .22 suppressor and not worth much. It just ain't worth the hassle of going through all the paperwork. I've instructed my sons to simply surrender it. 

I also discovered that there is very little market for used suppressors. Even in like new condition, they don't bring much. 

You may want to research the value of those used suppressors and see what they're worth. Then decide if its worth the time and trouble. 

I found this article: https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/sell-silencer

BTW: tell your friend to get those suppressors back right NOW! Otherwise they may both end up in jail for a long time! The friend of your friend is breaking the law by simply having them in his possession. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, Grayfox54 said:

Or, you can surrender them to ATF. 

In my case, mine is a cheap .22 suppressor and not worth much. It just ain't worth the hassle of going through all the paperwork. I've instructed my sons to simply surrender it. 

ouch!  This hurts my soul.  You can fill out the form 5 now and just leave the address and date blank.  That minimizes the amount of paperwork.  If they simply don’t want them, I’ll be your other son.   I just hate the idea of ATF removing items from the registry.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

ouch!  This hurts my soul.  You can fill out the form 5 now and just leave the address and date blank.  That minimizes the amount of paperwork.  If they simply don’t want them, I’ll be your other son.   I just hate the idea of ATF removing items from the registry.  

It's just a suppressor take a hammer and finish it off, throw it in the garbage, FATF.

My will has a detailed "to do list-----to F5 my MG" to my son, if he F's that up, I'll come back and kick his ass. 

23 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

If one of my sons wants it, he's welcome to it. But neither has expressed any desire. The both know guns and can shoot, but they never got into them like I have. 

Like I said, its a cheap off brand model and ain't worth much. I think the best thing is for them to do is surrender it and avoid the hassle. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

NFA provides for a tax free transfer upon death,  comments above are correct.   Easy call to NFA  304-616-4500 and believe it or not,  they will be helpful and walk you through what needs to happen.   I am an FFL SOT for the last 17 years and could tell you some really funny stories about inheritances and "lost "  NFA items....... 

Edited by RANGERRON72