Class B truck rental?

Alleycat72

Got a buddy that needs to rent a class A or B so he can get his CDL. He has a permit and has to have the CDL to be considered for a new job. He has access to people that have a class A so that's not a problem. Any idea where he can go?

If I need a big truck, I just go get one of 20. I have no idea how civilians do it. I also have a bunch of exemption letters.  I have no idea how the average guy gets this done and I'm trying to help out a friend and feel a little inadequate.

Penske has trucks to rent but without a CDL you can’t even fill out paperwork I’d imagine. Part of my job description says I had to get one in a year, but we have vehicles on property to “train” on. At this point in the commercial driving market they normally cover everything to get your CDL to hire you in. Not figure out before we hire kinda deal. 

15 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

Penske has trucks to rent but without a CDL you can’t even fill out paperwork I’d imagine. Part of my job description says I had to get one in a year, but we have vehicles on property to “train” on. At this point in the commercial driving market they normally cover everything to get your CDL to hire you in. Not figure out before we hire kinda deal. 

The position he wants says "class A, B or the ability to obtain one within 6 months". However they are getting enough applications, that the are kicking out non-CDL guys just to thin the herd. I have a CDL and figured I'd have to ride with him to the dmv, but finding a truck is a B. After February it'll cost him around 10k to get one. 

• Like 1

I looked up "Class B", we rent them from time to time to move big cooking equipment, never been asked to show a CDL.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Career/Class-B-Truck-Driver/What-Is-How-to-Become

Class B license usually means driving a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more and towing a vehicle or trailer that is less than 10,000 lbs. Class B license holders can typically operate straight trucks, box trucks, and large passenger buses, but not tractor-trailers.

Basically he need a dump truck, but any class B. The trucks he'll be driving are built on a dump truck frame anyway. 

Crazy thing is I'm required to have an A. If I get handed keys everyone knows somethings going down that no one needs to find out about.  LOL Not a single person in my classification is required to have one but me. Damndest thing. 

38 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I looked up "Class B", we rent them from time to time to move big cooking equipment, never been asked to show a CDL.

Class B license usually means driving a single vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more and towing a vehicle or trailer that is less than 10,000 lbs. Class B license holders can typically operate straight trucks, box trucks, and large passenger buses, but not tractor-trailers.

Were are you renting them at?

Penske on Hermitage Ave in Nashville, we rented a 26 foot dock truck or some call them a "straight truck" with a lift gate. As far as I know we did not come close weight limit. We were told that we did not have tp stop at weight stations.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, RED333 said:

Air brakes is the kicker, which is why you need for a Class B CDL.  A majority of these rented moving box trucks have hydraulic brakes.

@Alleycat72I'm taking 3 guys this Tuesday to Columbia DMV for their attempt at the road test. One in a manual and two in automatic. Them two can’t drive a stick to save their lives!

Edited by jhc77
Grammar
53 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

Air brakes is the kicker, which is why you need for a Class B CDL.  A majority of these rented moving box trucks have hydraulic brakes.

@Alleycat72I'm taking 3 guys this Tuesday to Columbia DMV for their attempt at the road test. One in a manual and two in automatic. Them two can drive a stick to save their lives!

Don't they restrict the people that take the test in an automatic or did that change? 

55 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

@Alleycat72I'm taking 3 guys this Tuesday to Columbia DMV for their attempt at the road test. One in a manual and two in automatic. Them two can drive a stick to save their lives!

Want a guy to rent some time on the manual while it's there or is it a company truck?

Try local heavy equipment rental places. I'm sure they will have a dump truck with a manual transmission and air brakes. 

I held a Class A CDL for 40 years. Funny thing is that way back in 1976 when I took the test for what was then called a "Special Chauffeur's"  license , I road tested in a 1973 Mercury Comet. Yep, it was legal back then. 😆 Then when TN went to a real CDL, I was grandfathered in. Never did take a road test in an actual truck.  😉

Edited by Grayfox54
14 hours ago, jhc77 said:

The trucks we rented had air brakes.

The closest he's gotten was a place that only rents to a business. $15000 deposit. 

I've got him calling small time towing companies and offering 3 or 4 times the rates. Guys selling class A and B trucks on line and asking if the want to make extra money for sitting at the DMV for 2 hours. 

The liability is the killer and it's going to cost him.

Have the requirements changed? When I had a CDL, in order to get one you had to already have a job and pass the physical before you could take the test. Road tests were normally done in company vehicles. 

That's how it worked when I was working for the city. New hires were given a certain amount of time to get their CDL. The city provided everything they needed including the vehicle. 

Edited by Grayfox54

He has his physical done and a permit. Owner operators get CDLs somehow. Granted, they probably worked for someone at some point.  You can buy a class A or B on Craigslist and take a test with that. You would just need a cdl driver with you. The laws have changed recently and the 6 to 10k classes will keep people from getting a CDL. The law goes into affect in February. His permit runs out then. He will be grandfathered in if he gets it done before then. 

12 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

He has his physical done and a permit. Owner operators get CDLs somehow. Granted, they probably worked for someone at some point.  You can buy a class A or B on Craigslist and take a test with that. You would just need a cdl driver with you. The laws have changed recently and the 6 to 10k classes will keep people from getting a CDL. The law goes into affect in February. His permit runs out then. He will be grandfathered in if he gets it done before then. 

February 2022 the law started. As long as you had your permit before that he can take it at the DMV. Otherwise it’s a big expense to civilians or employer. Haven’t heard one way or the other for future Public Works employees. 

3 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

February 2022 the law started. As long as you had your permit before that he can take it at the DMV. Otherwise it’s a big expense to civilians or employer. Haven’t heard one way or the other for future Public Works employees. 

Big company's are setting up their own classes. It's going to hurt guys wanting to get in.

When I worked for the City, new hires were given all the study manuals for the written tests and a senior driver would teach them the driving part in our trucks. 

Actually Public Works and all government employees got a break when renewing. We weren't required to have a current  physical like commercial drivers did. But we still had to renew in person and deal with the hassles of DMV. 🙄

BTW: CDL holders are subject to random drug testing at any time. When I worked for the city DOT would show up once or twice a year completely unannounced and all our drivers had to pee in the cup and take a breathalyzer. I have some good stories about those days. 😆 

5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

When I worked for the City, new hires were given all the study manuals for the written tests and a senior driver would teach them the driving part in our trucks. 

Actually Public Works and all government employees got a break when renewing. We weren't required to have a current  physical like commercial drivers did. But we still had to renew in person and deal with the hassles of DMV. 🙄

BTW: CDL holders are subject to random drug testing at any time. When I worked for the city DOT would show up once or twice a year completely unannounced and all our drivers had to pee in the cup and take a breathalyzer. I have some good stories about those days. 😆 

Having a CDL puts me in the system twice for drug testing. Every so often you get the test twice in the same week.  They figure out guys would get a test than go out a smoke a joint because it would be 6 months or so before they got tested again. We've had guys test hot just so they could get some time off work also. 90 at 80% first time. Crazy world. 

5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I work for Spring Hill and apparently I’m the senior driver 😆. Your first paragraph sums up me the last couple of weeks. I’ve passed about 6 employees in the last year or so and hopefully 3 more tomorrow. It’s crazy that’s how we have to do it. Once a new person passes it goes to them to ready the next few for testing. I think there is one more I have to train. He was hired in with permit.