Protecting e-mail from spammers

Grayfox54

About two months ago I bought an item off of e-bay. Well it seems that they sold my e-mail address to the spammers. I checked my e-bay account and sure nuff there's a setting in there to prevent them from doing this. In my case, it was not on. I didn't even know it was there until I went looking for it.聽
Ever since then I've been receiving anywhere from 50 to 100 spam e-mails every single day!聽馃が
My e-mail is personal and confidential information. Nobody has the right to just sell or share it without my permission.
This is a real PITA!. I've even taken the time to un-subscribe from each and every one. So far it hasn't even made a dent.聽馃が
And what ever happened to the "Do Not Call List"? I get several phone calls a day from people wanting to buy my house, extend my car's warranty or sell some BS or other.
Enough! I just sent blistering e-mails to all my Congress Critters saying a law really needs to be passed to prevent this stuff. I'm here asking all of you to do the same. If we raise our voices loud enough maybe, just maybe, we can get something done about this mess.

• Like 1

One spammer buys your email address, and then sells it to another spammer, endless cycle, so you never get off the lists, just like my 97 y/o mother and the endless catalogs she receives.聽 Those paper scammers kill a couple trees a day with their catalogs.

• Administrator

Your best "defense" is just a well-performing email filter.聽 I still use Gmail for a lot of things, and their spam filtering is pretty amazing, but I also have a Protonmail account that I never use for anything related to retail sales.

The spam filter does catch it and send it to the spam folder. But I still have to clean that out. I had been opening them and un-subscribing, but that didn't help at all. But then someone told me that all that really does is show that the account is active and they just continue to pass it on. Now I just hit the delete all button. But its still annoying as hell.聽馃が

I have a bunch of eMail address, I originally tried to only use one for sites that potentially might generate spam but that has failed a long time ago. Most of the addresses are hosted on gMail and when I get a really perssitant spammer I make a filter on Goggle to watch for the spammers eMail address or some other unique think in those spams and make a filter to send it directly to trash skipping the junk folder or my inbox. It helps some and makes me feel better. Sometimes I filter out a whole domain when it is a company.

On 11/16/2022 at 6:04 PM, TGO David said:

Welcome to the Internet, bud.聽 It's a retched hive of scum and villainy.

Reminds me of the time when we had our own wretched hive of scum and villainy here.聽 It was often quite entertaining.聽 I really miss those days ...

• Haha 1