Busted .45 Shell @ Range (Pics)

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Has this ever happened to anyone? I was shooting last night, and when I was done, collect my brass and went home. I started sorting it into separate bins, and noticed this shell had a huge gap "cut" out of it.

I checked the gun barrel and there was no damage or anything, but this was the first time I've ever had this happen? The brand is Remingtion ShurShot (Green and Orange 100 Rd Box)

I apologize for the picture quality, it was taken with my phone.

45shell1JPG.jpg

45shell2JPG.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Star BKS that used to do that and shatter mags . It was long ago and Im thinking it had to do with head space and timing of the extractor . (or was that a .50 BMG) anyway get to a gunsmith.:drama:

Guest JHatmaker
Dang! I've never seen one like that before. Are you sure you shot that?

Yeah, I was the only one shooting a .45 that night, and the floor was clean before I started shooting. I had some guys at a gun shop take a look, and they hadn't seen one like it either. I was just curious and thought maybe this happens every now and then.

I was shooting a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Again the barrel looked find....

One thought was maybe the shell wasn't packed properly b/c they are rushing ammo out so fast. It's just a clean break, it's not bent down into the brass or anything, and it looks like someone just got some clippers and cut a little chunk right out of there.

I have a half-assed theory, if you'll follow me! ;)

When I started reloading 9mm, there were a couple of times I either did not expand the case mouths enough or the bullet was just a little bit crooked when seating. The result was a properly seated and straight bullet with an area of the case crumpeled down with an big area of the bullet exposed.

Those loads could have easily been chambered and fired. Wonder if something similar happened to this one?

Here's a pic found on the net that kinda explains what I'm talkin about. Look at the round on the right and image that area being blown out after firing. Disregard the crooked mangled bullets, caliber, etc. Image it as a normal with just that big area compressed.

rcbs-die-bullets.jpg

Edited by Garufa
Guest JHatmaker
I have a half-assed theory, if you'll follow me! ;)

When I started reloading 9mm, there were a couple of times I either did not expand the case mouths enough or the bullet was just a little bit crooked when seating. The result was a properly seated and straight bullet with an area of the case crumpeled down with an big area of the bullet exposed.

Those loads could have easily been chambered and fired. Wonder if something similar happened to this one?

Here's a pic found on the net that kinda explains what I'm talkin about. Look at the round on the right and image that area being blown out after firing. Disregard the crooked mangled bullets, caliber, etc. Image it as a normal with just that big area compressed.

rcbs-die-bullets.jpg

That's gotta be it, good call! If you notice in my pics, you can see a little crumpeled area at the bottom of the opening. With a digital camera, it would shot up a lot more clearly. I bet at the factory the bullet pushed it down as the shell was being pressed.