RIA 5.0 9MM

crc4

On 1/13/2023 at 6:46 PM, crc4 said:

See if this review by Will Dabbs at American Handgunner helps. As I understand it, the barrel doesn't move.

RIA review by Will Dabbs at American Handgunner

Thanks, I was wondering if it is a friction based system (no moving mechanical lock).*  Apparently not so.  However, it would be nice to see a drawing of how this system functions,

Thanks for link is was helpful.

*The mechanical delayed blowback principle on which it (Thompson Sub Machinegun) operated was made possible by the Blish Block system

wsit: Blish not block. Siri hates me

Edited by JustEd
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

So if the barrel is fixed, Wouldn't there be more felt recoil? 🤔

Apparently not. Everyone that has shot it has been very surprised by the noticeable softening/lessing of recoil.

I'm not  sure of what is going on is precisely or how it operates as I've yet to see an animation of the innards in action. But I have no reason to doubt that something is happening to cause this and it's not pixie dust ,VooDoo chicken bones, or mere fluff.

This week at Shot Show others will probably be given the chance to shoot it today as this is "Range Day." So far, three reputable reviewers (Roy Huntington, Will Dabbs, and soocth00 on youtube) have made much of their opinion that the felt recoil has lessened considerably. 

RIA review by sootch00

Edited by crc4
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Frog4aday said:

That was a great look at how the gun functions & is put together. I'm intrigued & want to shoot one. Seems like a fresh design that will lower the felt recoil & muzzle rise. If it proves to be accurate, I'll have to get one.

I saw an interview with the president of Armscor at Shot show about the RIA 5. He said that after the first 1000 are sold (probably close to that goal by now) they were going to make the slide for optics different to take other optics besides the C-Mor. That's a good idea. I

On the current model, I don't know if the slide is milled or needs a plate to attach the optics. Plates are the weak point for optics mounting. Screw shear happens more and more. Until the slide is milled to accept a standardized optics platform, I won't be buying one with optics.

At Gunsight, they've released a Glock 9mm that has a milled slide for optics. I think that's going to be the wave of the future for all optic mounting. Slide milling, no plates.

When that happens I'll buy one. Meanwhile, if one with good sights shows up I'd probably get that first.

Plus, a compact about the size of a CZ compact would go on my list.

I'm convinced that if these pistols hold up as promoted (and I have no reason to think otherwise) these will be the defining point in semi-auto handguns since the 1911 and High Powers (the originals). There's nothing in my lifetime that has radically changed semi-automatics like this RIA.

Edited by crc4

Interesting info on the optics options that are coming. I won't be mounting an optic so it is good to go "as is" for me.

I was interested in the Hudson pistols but wanted to wait until they had gotten past their initial launch & worked out all the new gun glitches. Then reports surfaced of accuracy issues and they seemed to fade away after that. I'm hoping things go better for this firearm.

I thought the Chiappa Rhino was intriguing & other manufacturers would get onboard with the concept, hopefully in a more aesthetically pleasing form, but that hasn't come to pass. Shooting one is a revelation compared to a "normal" magnum revolver. I'll probably break down & buy one since no one else has made a less ugly version, ha! Pretty is as pretty does?

5 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Have they been released to local gun stores in Tn yet   thanks 

I didn't see one in my local shop last Friday and they always seem to have the latest in stock. I say at Shot show promises were made and they exhausted the inventory.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Frog4aday said:

I thought the Chiappa Rhino was intriguing & other manufacturers would get onboard with the concept, hopefully in a more aesthetically pleasing form, but that hasn't come to pass. Shooting one is a revelation compared to a "normal" magnum revolver. I'll probably break down & buy one since no one else has made a less ugly version, ha! Pretty is as pretty does?

I've seen the Rhino on Youtube. I'd like to try one. The price seems rather steep.